Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Old 05-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Why did the 6th gen SS 1LE get wider tires at the rear only?

Given that the 5th gen 1LE and Z/28 both ran same-size tires at all four corners, I'm wondering what changed the philosophy specifically for the 6th gen SS 1LE away from maintaining the same tire size all around and simply making the rear wheels a little wider than the fronts.

Was it a downstream consequence of the bump in power and torque? Understeer budget or breakaway characteristics reasons and the Alpha chassis? Appearance? Other?

Norm
Old 05-03-2018, 10:49 AM   #2
RacerX78

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Fitting 20" 305s all the way around is not possible without modifying fenders up front. Even the ZL1 1LE has wider front fenders, 19" wheels & narrower front suspension to fit 305s upfront.
RacerX78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:15 AM   #3
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

The question is really about why they widened the rear tires at all, if they were going to leave the fronts alone.

Norm
Old 05-03-2018, 11:25 AM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
The question is really about why they widened the rear tires at all, if they were going to leave the fronts alone.

Norm
Presumably because it still offers more overall grip than not putting wider tires out back.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:40 AM   #5
RacerX78

Quote:

Norm
The fronts haven't been left alone. The standard SS gets 20x8.5" 245mm tires up front. The 1LE has 20x10" 285mm up front. So front grip has been upgraded and tuned to match the rear end grip.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:46 AM   #6
Kise

Drives: 16' 2SS, 06' Silverado SS
Quote:

Norm
to the 1le- my 2ss has larger wheels in the rear as well.

if you notice on drag cars or slicks how the tires are really wide on the back.. same situation.

larger surface = better grip overall, especially on a launch.
more hp and torque means less grip for rwd cars.
Kise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:47 AM   #7
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Presumably because it still offers more overall grip than not putting wider tires out back.
Adding all of however much total grip increase at the rear is heavier understeer, particularly up near the limit (all else held constant). I'm not aware of any complaints that handling for the 5th gen 1LE was "too loose", so I'm not seeing an existing condition that needed to be fixed.

Norm
Old 05-03-2018, 11:49 AM   #8
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX78 View Post
The fronts haven't been left alone. The standard SS gets 20x8.5" 245mm tires up front. The 1LE has 20x10" 285mm up front. So front grip has been upgraded and tuned to match the rear end grip.
I'm comparing 6th gen SS 1LE against the 5th gen 1LE, not against the standard SS. Handling top-dogs only.

Norm
Old 05-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #9
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kise View Post
to the 1le- my 2ss has larger wheels in the rear as well.

if you notice on drag cars or slicks how the tires are really wide on the back.. same situation.

larger surface = better grip overall, especially on a launch.
more hp and torque means less grip for rwd cars.
I'm well aware of the 20" wheel and tire staggering that the non-1LE SS has had since, what, day 1 of the 5th gen?

What I'm looking at here is strictly the cornering & handling side. Straight line stuff at the SS level is a mission for the non-1LE SS with A10.

If Chevy is trying to squeeze a bit more straight line capability into these cars that are primarily not about the straight line, that would fall under the "other" catch-all.

Norm
Old 05-03-2018, 12:07 PM   #10
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
...Was it a downstream consequence of the bump in power and torque? Understeer budget or breakaway characteristics reasons and the Alpha chassis? Appearance? Other?

Norm
Sounds like a good "Ask Al" submission.

Given how snug the fitment is with the 285's in non-ZL1 fenders, to me that's likely the primary limitation.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:26 PM   #11
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
This question was asked to Al during the last Camaro Fest in Bowling Green. He said that they tested several different options, including a square setup like the 5th gen SS 1LE, and they were able to get faster lap times and overall better handling characteristics with the setup they chose. The practical benefits of the square setup were offset by the better performance characteristics of the staggered setup.

Keep in mind that the 6th gen suspension geometry and chassis are different from the 5th gen, so what worked well on one may not work well on the other.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:33 PM   #12
RacerX78

Quote:
I'm comparing 6th gen SS 1LE against the 5th gen 1LE, not against the standard SS. Handling top-dogs only.

Norm
Well given that the 5th and 6th Gen cars are on completely different chassis, engine, and suspension. It doesn't make since to compare the two. You might as well as why the mustang and camaro don't run the same wheel size setup. A closer comparison would be between the ATS-V and the Camaro given they are on the same platform.

Quote:
Adding all of however much total grip increase at the rear is heavier understeer, particularly up near the limit (all else held constant). I'm not aware of any complaints that handling for the 5th gen 1LE was "too loose", so I'm not seeing an existing condition that needed to be fixed.

Norm
Unlike the mustang that had multiple aspects carried over from various generations (SN95, S197, etc) The Alpha platform was entirely new as well was the LT1. So unlike before they started from a different standpoint handling wise. With the Alpha being small, lighter and stiffer than the previous chassis different strategies would be used to setup the handling for both the base and higher performance cars.

Plus you also want to run a tire as narrow as possible for your traction/handling requirements. As wider tires add friction, drag & weight. Reason like that is why you don't see F1/Indy cars running a square stance.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:12 PM   #13
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX78 View Post
...Reason like that is why you don't see F1/Indy cars running a square stance.
No, F1 cars don't run square because their rules disallow it. It's an entirely different topic.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:20 PM   #14
JeffFox

Drives: 2018 2SS Coupe A8
Interesring question

Quote:
Given that the 5th gen 1LE and Z/28 both ran same-size tires at all four corners, I'm wondering what changed the philosophy specifically for the 6th gen SS 1LE away from maintaining the same tire size all around and simply making the rear wheels a little wider than the fronts.

Was it a downstream consequence of the bump in power and torque? Understeer budget or breakaway characteristics reasons and the Alpha chassis? Appearance? Other?

Norm
Depending on the depth of Al's answer this might provide some guidance to owners purchasing wheels and tires for different applications.
JeffFox is offline   Reply With Quote