Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 07-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #57
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesubfloor View Post
Here's a video of the car:

I sort of work for the state (CalPERS) and only bring the car into work on Wednesdays so just let me know when you want to meet up.
Do you work next to the pyramid, in the new building?

Thanks for the video. I'll be having a look at it

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #58
thesubfloor

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Do you work next to the pyramid, in the new building?

Thanks for the video. I'll be having a look at it
I'm at 400 P Street.
thesubfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #59
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesubfloor View Post
I'm at 400 P Street.
Cool. I'll be sure to hit you up for a Wednesday drive. Thanks

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #60
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Hey wacker, are you saying that it's not a gd idea to do a converter on a stock 6l80? I've also been told, buy a great tuner, that the converter us plug and play and nothing in my tune needs to be touched. My converter should be here any day and now you got me thinking.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:40 PM   #61
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
stall converters are a great mod,, the only issue i see is people trying to lock the tcc at wot,,, yes i know the factory converter locks at wot but the factory engine hp and tq is a lot less than most of us that are modding out our 2010 L99 cars. and until someone makes a custom O/S for the tcm i dont see any way to get back to the basics of an ON/OFF TCC apply.

also as posted already,, the tcc clutch does not even have as much surface area as a manual trans car and it is submerged in fluid,, how much hp could you expext it to hold..
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #62
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Hey wacker, are you saying that it's not a gd idea to do a converter on a stock 6L80E? I've also been told, buy a great tuner, that the converter us plug and play and nothing in my tune needs to be touched. My converter should be here any day and now you got me thinking.
A high stall aftermarket converter is by no means a "plug and play" mod on this car. Ask anyone who has one. It will need tuned for drivability. A custom OS that has full control over the TCM is the only way we are going to be able to run aftermarket converters to their full potential. That is of course if you plan on locking at anything other than cruise power/speed. Full control, or at least full control of lockup is a top priority for Vince and I.

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

www.6l80tuning.com www.6l90tuning.com
Wacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #63
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
stall converters are a great mod,, the only issue i see is people trying to lock the tcc at wot,,, yes i know the factory converter locks at wot but the factory engine hp and tq is a lot less than most of us that are modding out our 2010 L99 cars. and until someone makes a custom O/S for the TCM i don't see any way to get back to the basics of an ON/OFF TCC apply.

also as posted already,, the TCC clutch does not even have as much surface area as a manual trans car and it is submerged in fluid,, how much hp could you expert it to hold..
Agreed the high horsepower cars will/are having trouble holding WOT lockup even with a converter designed for 1000HP. The problem is the regulated apply pressure and the 109.9 cap coded into the OS. This can and will be changed.

It seems PWM is actually deactivated in this OS/TCM. GM uses another type of pressure regulating theory based off multiple tables. My guess is there is a table with an axis like (Estimated Engine Torque V's TCC Apply Pressure). You can watch logs where the pressure scales in as the engine torque increases. Could be TPS based too, but that's the stuff we are looking into. The cap of 109.9 is an easy re-write, the trick is finding which tables will allow for full and instantaneous lockup. You can achieve this with the VCM scanner as you know, but your only getting 109.9 psi. Not enough for seriously modified engines.

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

Old 07-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #64
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacker View Post
There is some special code not allowing full pressure. I have mine set to only lock in 5th and 6th at 60mph and above. I'll get it figured out and continue to post on this thread.

this is the way i have mine set also and it is working fine for 7000 miles now,, i may change it if one of the tuner companies comes out with the correct tables needed to raise the tcc pressure and enable the standard on/off tcc apply

keep us posted!
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #65
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
this is the way i have mine set also and it is working fine for 7000 miles now,, i may change it if one of the tuner companies comes out with the correct tables needed to raise the tcc pressure and enable the standard on/off tcc apply

keep us posted!
You bet...Can't imagine a tuner telling someone a stalled converter in this thing is plug and play.

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

Old 07-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #66
thesubfloor

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacker View Post
A high stall aftermarket converter is by no means a "plug and play" mod on this car. Ask anyone who has one. It will need tuned for drivability. A custom OS that has full control over the TCM is the only way we are going to be able to run aftermarket converters to their full potential. That is of course if you plan on locking at anything other than cruise power/speed. Full control, or at least full control of lockup is a top priority for Vince and I.
With all due respect to you and your background I beg to differ because yeah, it kinda is pretty much a plug and play mod.

I've had 5 different variations of Yank converters in my car (that varied by design and stall speed) and a reworked XLR (before the Yank was commercially available) and also installed converters in several friend's Corvettes.

If the car isn't making a ton of power or isn't going to be drag raced then absolutely no tuning changes whatsoever are needed and even if there are, it takes all of 5 minutes to do by lowering the shift points a bit and changing a value under Engine->Fuel Control->Fuel Cutoff->Acceleration Based->Accel Thresh table to keep it from acting as a secondary rev-limiter when the car accelerates too quickly.
thesubfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #67
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

[QUOTE=thesubfloor;2068961]With all due respect to you and your background I beg to differ because yeah, it kinda is pretty much a plug and play mod.

I've had 5 different variations of Yank converters in my car (that varied by design and stall speed) and a reworked XLR (before the Yank was commercially available) and also installed converters in several friend's Corvettes.

If the car isn't making a ton of power or isn't going to be drag raced then absolutely no tuning changes whatsoever are needed and even if there are, it takes all of 5 minutes to do by lowering the shift points a bit and changing a value under Engine->Fuel Control->Fuel Cutoff->Acceleration Based->Accel Thresh table to keep it from acting as a secondary rev-limiter when the car accelerates too quickly.[/QUOTE

Aftermarket converters typically use a different type of clutch material, one that is not designed to slip like the stocker. The 2010 Camaro and 6L80E combination command typically 100 RPM slip at light throttle. An aftermarket TCC made of material designed for WOT lockup will fry as the computer locks and unlocks the verter seeking the preset desired slip. Maybe the yank uses a clutch similar to stock and that's why they say don't lock it at WOT Perhaps the yank does allow for some slip. Or maybe the Vette uses different tables for lockup. I know the HD trucks use the same stock verter and one would have to assume they demand full lockup all the time for towing. Otherwise the converter would'nt last a month.

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

Old 07-07-2010, 04:35 PM   #68
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Pretty sure Camaro1 had to tune his. I had to tune mine and I'm pretty close to stock power. Most problems arrise during light throttle. WOT is simply a pressure issue. I even show zero slip at WOT from the middle of third on with the stock verter. The TCC in the Camaro actually applies in second during WOT, however you will see around 100 RPM slip till somewhere in third.

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

Old 07-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #69
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

The Circle D Multi disk converter I run has roughly three times the surface area of the stock verter. This is why it's able to hold WOT lockup. To my knowledge Yank only runs a single disk converter with considerably less surface area than the Circle D. I do believe however they are making or maybe even selling a multi disk now but don't quote me. I'll have some real holding capacity numbers tomorrow or the next for you engineer types.

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

Old 07-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #70
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
The last time I put a converter (just a 2800) in one of my cars without getting it tuned, I had all kinds of tranny issues. I was burning out clutches big time as soon as I increased my HP levels a little bit.
I've been discussing this with my tuner (Jeremy Formato). He definately suggests getting my car tuned for the converter, if I get a converter (which I hope to get this winter).
He also really likes the Yank converters. He's tuned hundreds (probably thousands) of cars and he really likes the Yank converters (combo of street drivability and track use).
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote