Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-02-2018, 04:59 PM   #1
mexiken

Drives: Sofia: 2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS LS3
Aftermarket dash kit advice (PAC vs Scosche vs Metra)

Hey everyone,

I've been out of the Camaro5 loop for a very long time, but I came back on since I am looking to upgrade my factory radio in my 2012 (no MyLink available) to a Wireless Android Auto HU. I would like dash kit advice.

Doing some research on here, most of the main dash kits seem to be Scosche, Metra, or PAC.

I have the BA audio system, with a sub and amp hooked via the rear inputs. I have the backup camera in my rearview. I would like to have the backup camera moved to the HU, if possible, and still retain the chimes (I didn't even realize you'd lose that), and well retain as much of the functionality as possible.

Any reason to go with one or the other???? Like do you lose things in one kit but not the other???? I don't like the Metra look at all, I'll probably go with PAC or Scosche. Can anyone lend some insight on why they chose one over the other? I saw something about backup lights not working after a while, the heated seats not working, etc etc.

Please, give me your thoughts. I did a search and didn't see a thread that directly compares just the kits, forgive me if there is one. If there is, if you could kindly point me to it, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!!!!
Engine/Performance: Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Rx Catch Can painted IBM, (to come: JacFab CAI, muffler delete/Flowmasters)

mexiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:46 PM   #2
SRTLOL

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6M
If you get the PAC kit make sure to no matter what plug it into the non amped side for the plug. The pac kit isnt quite oem fit but it looks great I just installed it 4 days ago
Old 06-02-2018, 09:45 PM   #3
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I chose the PAC because it has the closest to stock look, using the stock HVAC knobs. Frankly it just looks better than the other two. After reading up, it also seemed a lot of people were having problems with the others.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:10 PM   #4
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
I went with the PAC audio unit too. So far it’s working very well.
Attached Images

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:28 PM   #5
43Camaro

Drives: [COTW 8/3/15] 2010 Camaro SS L99
PAK so far so good.

43Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:00 PM   #6
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I went with the new Scosche 2.0 dash kit. I wanted the different look other than stock that it gave. Plus I've been having HVAC issues since I got the car that I was pretty sure were caused by the controls. Didn't want to have to swap anything over when it came to the PAC kit. Plus I'm not a fan of of the big expanse of plastic that surrounds the radio face on the PAC. I think they could of done a better job sculpting and adding dimension to that area.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:12 PM   #7
mexiken

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD DAB View Post
I went with the PAC audio unit too. So far it’s working very well.
What Kenwood unit is that????
Engine/Performance: Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Rx Catch Can painted IBM, (to come: JacFab CAI, muffler delete/Flowmasters)

Old 06-04-2018, 10:13 PM   #8
mexiken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
I went with the new Scosche 2.0 dash kit. I wanted the different look other than stock that it gave. Plus I've been having HVAC issues since I got the car that I was pretty sure were caused by the controls. Didn't want to have to swap anything over when it came to the PAC kit. Plus I'm not a fan of of the big expanse of plastic that surrounds the radio face on the PAC. I think they could of done a better job sculpting and adding dimension to that area.
How does the touchscreen controls work on the dash kit itself???? I saw a video of it and it looks like its not very responsive :(

Old 06-05-2018, 12:05 AM   #9
Low Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexiken View Post
How does the touchscreen controls work on the dash kit itself???? I saw a video of it and it looks like its not very responsive :(
It works very well. I wonder if the video you saw was mine? When I first got the kit, there was a small piece of plastic flashing left from the injection moulding process that interfered with the touch screen. A quick light sanding solved the issue.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:14 AM   #10
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Quote:
What Kenwood unit is that????
It's the Kenwood DDX9704S

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:42 PM   #11
mexiken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
It works very well. I wonder if the video you saw was mine? When I first got the kit, there was a small piece of plastic flashing left from the injection moulding process that interfered with the touch screen. A quick light sanding solved the issue.
Which video is yours???? I'd like to see it.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:06 PM   #12
Low Saturn

Quote:
Which video is yours???? I'd like to see it.
I took the video down once my isuue was resolved. What was happening was when I'd touch one of the screens, I'd get no response, a delayed response or a response for another area of one of the screens. Once I removed the touch screens from the face place and tested again, everything worked as it should. Found two small raised portions of plastic on the backside of the faceplate that I easily sand off. No issues sense.

But the kit did resolve other intermittent issues my HVAC system has had since the day I bought the car. My fan would never turn off, even with the knob in the off position. My fan speed would fluctuate wildly. The blend doors would open/close with the ignition off. And no matter what temperature it was set at, when I'd restart the car, it would be a full heat. Regardless of knob position.

Since installing the Scosche kit, all those issues have gone away. I was pretty sure that all I needed was a replacement face plate for the OE radio, but the dealer wouldn't do it. They said they updated the software once then couldn't recreate the issue the next two times. My certified used car warrenty ran out before they could figure it out.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:09 PM   #13
RedRyder

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS M6 Camaro
My vote is for the Scosche 2.0 kit. Everything works well, love all the touch screens, and it looks the best imo.

RedRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #14
N954

Drives: 2012 2LT RS
posting to follow and to ask: do you lose the chimes when you install an after market HU? I am in the same boat (2012 no mylink, boston acoustics & backup cam + sensors)
N954 is offline   Reply With Quote