Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-11-2010, 03:28 AM   #1
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
M6 Owners With Skip-Shift Feature Beware!

I was driving with my wife tonight and for the umteenth time, I have been dealing with repeated skip shift problems. Before you jump all over me, I am well aware there is a bypass available and that skip shift was implemented to avoid gas guzzler taxes. I am currently looking into getting the bypass but I think GM needs to do something better.

Skip shift is occuring at the most inopportune times, but I've been dealing with it...that is until tonight, where it became more than an inconvenience.

I was sitting at a red light tonight driving to my mother's house after dinner with my wife and the hill was a pretty steep incline. The light turned green and the car behind me was right on my bumper. I have been driving manual for a very long time and regardless of how good you think you are, you are going to roll back, even if it is just a little. Tonight, I was able to get the car moving but as soon as I went for second gear, skip shift went into effect, I switched to fourth and the car stalled. The car behind me missed my bumper by literally a hair. If I wasn't quick on the brake, I would have rolled back and hit the guy and my wife was scared out of her mind as she let out a shriek when it happened.

This nuisance is an accident waiting to happen and thankfully it can be bypassed, but the average "Joe" wouldn't know how and just deal with it until an accident happens. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks all!

Last edited by DkknightX; 01-13-2010 at 06:25 AM.
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:34 AM   #2
Z/28orSs

Drives: 2000 ss
what does this have to do with skip shift?
Old 01-11-2010, 03:37 AM   #3
DkknightX
Account Suspended

I shifted to first and quickly went for second to get up the hill and skip shift forced me to fourth and the car stalled. Not every situation would result in an accident like this, but it certainly invites greater opportunities for it to happen.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:38 AM   #4
multiSS

Drives: 69 SS396 chevelle 2010 2ssrs camaro
I agree with you completely. GM should make this much easier to bypass!!
multiSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:45 AM   #5
CHVY-2SS

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS
Put a few more RPMS into it and you won't have any problems.
CHVY-2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:53 AM   #6
Bullitt

Drives: Horse & Buggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVY-2SS View Post
+1

You knew the hill was there, drive it a little more aggressive to avoid the skip shift.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:56 AM   #7
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
+1

You knew the hill was there, drive it a little more aggressive to avoid the skip shift.
Yeah, would be a great idea if I A) Didn't give my wife whiplash or B) Tried to drive tame because my wife hates it when I drive like an animal. I shouldn't have to drive aggressive all the time to keep my wife and I safe.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:52 AM   #8
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DkknightX View Post
Yeah, would be a great idea if I A) Didn't give my wife whiplash or B) Tried to drive tame because my wife hates it when I drive like an animal. I shouldn't have to drive aggressive all the time to keep my wife and I safe.
Don't be afraid to burn a little gas in 1st. Exceed 19 mph in 1st and you will be able to shift into 2nd every time. Or spend $20 on a SLP skipshift eliminator. It is very easy.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:55 AM   #9
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIweldace View Post
Don't be afraid to burn a little gas in 1st. Exceed 19 mph in 1st and you will be able to shift into 2nd every time. Or spend $20 on a SLP skipshift eliminator. It is very easy.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I know it's mostly the way I'm driving but it just doesn't feel natural. My Cobalt doesn't do it and I guess that's what I'm used to. Is the SLP eliminator easy to install?
Old 01-11-2010, 05:23 AM   #10
Z/28orSs

Drives: 2000 ss
Quote:
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I know it's mostly the way I'm driving but it just doesn't feel natural. My Cobalt doesn't do it and I guess that's what I'm used to. Is the SLP eliminator easy to install?
4th gen yea dunno about the 5th at what rpms do you shift out of 1st. just hold the rpms till about 2.2k and you will be fine
Old 01-11-2010, 05:49 AM   #11
Trailbreaker77

Drives: 2010 Transformers Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/28orSs View Post
what does this have to do with skip shift?
What does this mean? Do you even now what it does? It locks you out of the GEAR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVY-2SS View Post
Oh so Chevy answer for getting rid of the gas guzzler tax is to make you go faster before you shift? NICE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/28orSs View Post
4th gen yea dunno about the 5th at what rpms do you shift out of 1st. just hold the rpms till about 2.2k and you will be fine
Again why should you have to do this all the time STUPID!

To the OP I agree that is why the first purchase I made was the eliminator I am sure my insurance company would love to here the reason I was in an accident was because my car locked me out of a gear.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:32 AM   #12
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
Quote:
I was driving with my wife tonight and for the umteenth time, I have been dealing with repeated skip shift problems. Before you jump all over me, I am well aware there is a bypass available and that skip shift was implemented to avoid gas guzzler taxes. I am currently looking into getting the bypass but I think GM needs to do something better.

Skip shift is occuring at the most inopportune times, but I've been dealing with it...that is until tonight, where it became more than an inconvenience.

I was sitting at a red light tonight driving to my mother's house after dinner with my wife and the hill was a pretty steep incline. The light turned green and the car behind me was right on my bumper. I have been driving manual for a very long time and regardless of how good you think you are, you are going to roll back, even if it is just a little. Tonight, I was able to get the car moving but as soon as I went for second gear, skip shift went into effect, I switched to fourth and the car stalled. The car behind me missed my bumper by literally a hair. If I wasn't quick on the brake, I would have rolled back and hit the guy and my wife was scared out of her mind as she let out a shriek when it happened.

This nuisance is an accident waiting to happen and thankfully it can be bypassed, but the average "Joe" wouldn't know how and just deal with it until an accident happens. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailbreaker77 View Post
What does this mean? Do you even now what it does? It locks you out of the GEAR!

Oh so Chevy answer for getting rid of the gas guzzler tax is to make you go faster before you shift? NICE!

Again why should you have to do this all the time STUPID!

To the OP I agree that is why the first purchase I made was the eliminator I am sure my insurance company would love to here the reason I was in an accident was because my car locked me out of a gear.
i'm having a bit of a hard time understanding how on earth something like a skip shift could cause you an accident if your driving properly.

the skip shift locks out 2nd and 3rd gear if 5 different conditions are met... and then it only locks it out for less then a half second.

being that you were in the right range for it to come on; you could have easily taken a cool moment and the skip would have been deactivated. no need to gun it, no stupid manuvers... just a quick pause and you would be on your way.

when i drive mine i'm weary of the fact that it can occasionally lock me out; it's something you just account for or pay up the 20 bucks and plug the sensor.
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:45 AM   #13
CTS

Drives: 2021 Sierra Denali 6.2L/10sp CC 4WD
I agree its the stupidest thing they can put on the car. My 2002 T/A WS6 had the same darn thing and it caught me off guard several times. One time I recall was I was in the process of sifting to 2nd when a car came thru a stop sign at me and I could not get the car in 2nd gear and nearly got hit. After that incidents I ordered the SLP skip-shift eliminator kit and the dealer installed it free of charge. It was just a jumper harness to go between the factory harness and the trans solenoid.
CTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:51 AM   #14
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
I can see how the skip shift can cause you to lug the car down from time to time. I too am really annoyed by it. Im more of a 1-3-5 kinda shifter when im driving not so crazy. And all the time Im locked out of 3rd which to me seems like a much more agreeable gear when shifting from first at 15~ mph. When I go to forth, the gearbox makes a nasty sound and it doesnt sound like the engine likes it either.

Im not much of one for things that will void my warranty, but for the sake of enjoyment I may just install one of those skip shift eliminators. It's really frustrating when im moving through an intersection and get locked out of the gear that I want and have to coast while I go from 3rd to 4th cuz it wont let me into 3rd... all the while im holding up traffic.

All you blow hards can criticize all you want. "drive it harder", "mash the gas", "if you drive it properly"... It's my car, I'll drive it how I want to. Problem is, after driving stick shifts for x number of years, I cant drive this car like I want to... and I agree with the OP, it's getting really frustrating.

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote