Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-31-2019, 10:23 AM   #43
viurniel
@viurniel

Drives: 19 ZLE A10, 15 2SS, 90 300ZXTT
To each their own, do as you want with your money and cars.

I understand the tire changes as one actually gains street performance, but downgrading on the brakes just because one doesn't want to clean the wheels at the expense of performance is not a mod I would do. With that logic, we would change the wheels to narrower ones and get less dirt on the fenders and q panels - because who needs those wide wheels on the street? Or we can swap to SS suspension parts so that we can be more comfortable... because harsh ride. I can go on, so it is obvious I disagree with the pad downgrade.

IMO the best way to deal with the dust is to ceramic coat your wheels; it makes it easy to clean, and to an extent it protects the finish on your wheels.
viurniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:31 AM   #44
Sakudog

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by viurniel View Post
To each their own, do as you want with your money and cars.

I understand the tire changes as one actually gains street performance, but downgrading on the brakes just because one doesn't want to clean the wheels at the expense of performance is not a mod I would do. With that logic, we would change the wheels to narrower ones and get less dirt on the fenders and q panels - because who needs those wide wheels on the street? Or we can swap to SS suspension parts so that we can be more comfortable... because harsh ride. I can go on, so it is obvious I disagree with the pad downgrade.

IMO the best way to deal with the dust is to ceramic coat your wheels; it makes it easy to clean, and to an extent it protects the finish on your wheels.
I actually track my car, a LOT and I run these pads on the street. Stop acting like these brake pads don't work, they don't have the initial bite of the semi-organic stock pads, but with more pedal pressure they are the exact same and the stopping distance at threshold braking is nearly unmeasurable. If you are so hardcore at all times, why don't you put the racepads I run on your car for street use, you know, just in case you need to trail brake deep into the exit ramp? LOL
Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
2015 Z/28 #809
Sakudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:36 PM   #45
viurniel
@viurniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakudog View Post
I actually track my car, a LOT and I run these pads on the street. Stop acting like these brake pads don't work, they don't have the initial bite of the semi-organic stock pads, but with more pedal pressure they are the exact same and the stopping distance at threshold braking is nearly unmeasurable. If you are so hardcore at all times, why don't you put the racepads I run on your car for street use, you know, just in case you need to trail brake deep into the exit ramp? LOL
I do have racepads on my car. I never said that the ones in question here don't work - they do; however, I said that they are a downgrade, and that I don't consider downgrades when modding. I am not telling you what to do, but only my view point. Chill.

Also, ceramic coating is a very cheap mod and you get added benefits.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:47 PM   #46
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
anybody have a toque spec for the through bolt on the front caliper?
I did mine to the Gutenteit spec. Anywhere from 20-30 ft-lbs should be fine according to these sources:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9663486

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516448
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:52 PM   #47
Sakudog

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
I do have racepads on my car. I never said that the ones in question here don't work - they do; however, I said that they are a downgrade, and that I don't consider downgrades when modding. I am not telling you what to do, but only my view point. Chill.

I'm just having a good time, you have to admit the trail braking into the exit ramp was damn funny!!! LOL I actually do that from time to time.

I hope you aren't driving around on your race pads, but maybe you don't daily it?

Also, I like Gtechnique's Wheel Armor for my wheels and ceramic coating is always the way to go, I agree.
Attached Images

Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
2015 Z/28 #809
Sakudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:03 PM   #48
viurniel
@viurniel

Braking hard into the ramps is my life.

I have been daily driving other cars this week - too lazy to take them off, but the weekend starts today.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:30 PM   #49
k20attack

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 M6
At least they clean up easy .

That's how much brake dust I had after a track day and 200 miles on the road.
Attached Images

k20attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:34 PM   #50
Gunkk

You missed a spot: barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by k20attack View Post
At least they clean up easy .

That's how much brake dust I had after a track day and 200 miles on the road.
Which pads?
Old 05-31-2019, 03:21 PM   #51
k20attack

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Which pads?

Stock pads.
k20attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:11 PM   #52
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
You forgot to clean the barrels and caliper...
Old 06-01-2019, 04:14 PM   #53
RDBill
902HP 858TQ

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
I went with the Z26 pads and absolutely love them. I'm going to steal someones phrase by saying my only complaint is that I didn't do it sooner. My wheels are also ceramic coated and they do clean up easy... There is just much less to clean up now.
RDBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:24 PM   #54
Gunkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBill View Post
I went with the Z26 pads and absolutely love them. I'm going to steal someones phrase by saying my only complaint is that I didn't do it sooner. My wheels are also ceramic coated and they do clean up easy... There is just much less to clean up now.

I did the same and it has been worth every penny!
Old 06-01-2019, 09:13 PM   #55
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Not everybody buys these cars, even the ZL1 1LE, as I'm about to purchase to drive them 10>10 all the time.... Some of us buy them to enjoy them. We can put slightly less performing tires and yes, even less dusty brake pads on them, and drive them, rather than letting them sit in a garage 8 or 9 months or more out of the year.... I would almost bet good money you don't drive your car 10<10 all the time... If you drive it on the street at all, I'm betting you are 1<10 about 90 percent or more of the time... I know, this is how I got to drive my SS on the street occasionally...

I've done my racing bit, I accomplished my goal, and I want a performance car that I can drive without replacing a 1500 - 2000 dollar set of tires every month or two, or brake pads every three months or so, or constantly battling brake dust.... Heaven forbid, I'll even get bugs on my hood occasionally..... I'll just have to wipe them off....

If you want a car on kill all the time, one that most don't care to have service ALL the time, then leave it as you got it.... Some of us purchase these cars to drive, everywhere, even..... in rain occasionally when we get caught out...

I still don't get why it offends someone for someone else to do to their own car what they want to make it their own...For the record, I'm not a huge fan of steak, and I put ketchup on mine... and I burn the hell out of them before I eat them.... When they're smoking they're cooking, when they're black, they're done... Why, because I'm eating it, and it doesn't affect you or anyone else...

I for one plan to drive the shit out of my car, since I only got to put 23,000 miles on my SS.... oh, and it had the factory stock brake pads for a 2010 SS and it saw speeds significantly higher than you will ever see in your car.... Never ran down a hill and hit a tree, or anything else for that matter...

Nobody said cheaper and better, what was said was cheaper and less dusty.... more "street" friendly, you know, where most of us drive these cars...
Amen brother.. I like blackened steaks,well done, blackened salmon well done, hamburger...well done. I also have put low dust ceramic pads on my 2019 GS corvette and took off the pilot super sport tires on the front because they collect and throw so many stones from the street. Brake dust, I f...kin hate it. I guarantee I will never hit a tree or slide off the mountain cause I can drive. Who the hell cares about a panic stop from 100 to 0 ? I have over a million miles on my butt driving nothing but regular passenger cars and a shit load of performance cars. Never needed to do a panic stop and am accident free.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:19 PM   #56
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:

Hmmm, I guess I'll just have to keep my 2010 SS then since we can't downgrade when modding.... Here I had my heart set on a 2019, 2020 ZL1 1LE....

My new purchase will be a major downgrade other than getting A/C back....

As for the cleaning and whatnot, I don't like spending potential drive time in cleaning and detailing my cars to the inth.... I have always been more about go rather than show....

I don't do car shows... I enjoy car gatherings, but when grown men act like children if their prized possession doesn't win, I roll my eyes and walk away.... I have been requested and accommodated shows as a judge.... many times...

Oh here's a secret, I gave street points to cars actually driven to a show rather than being trailered in within a fully enclosed air conditioned trailer with a rug and mirrors placed all around... and heaven forbid cones and barrier tape...

I had a guy offer me a creeper to look under the edges of his car.... No thanks, I'll lay on the ground.... If I look at the odometer and it's a ten year old car with 1300 miles, and it isn't a seriously hard core track car.... I'm off to more realistic offerings....

If I have a bit of brake dust on my wheels I'm ok with that... If the brake pads on my daily last more than a few months, all the better... If I get in a couple hundred miles driving on a weekend rather than six to 10 hours cleaning and waxing and rubbing and etc etc etc... my car... I'm great with that...

I had a race car, that I occasionally drove on the street, and I downgraded it to make it more user friendly on the street.... Now, due to personal health reasons, it's time to do a permanent unmod, nonmod, (however that would be said) by selling my lowly 2010 SS and buying a 2020 ZL1 1LE.... It'll be tough, but I'll manage.... I think... I'll have to adapt to a slower car....

You said you do track days, and that's cool, but until others are paying for my car, I'll downgrade it if it makes it more user friendly, and that doesn't make ME a lessor person...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote