Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #29
Grimlock
dey see me rollin

Drives: the magic school bus
Flat black is nice. I would've gone this route were it not for the unbearable summer heat. Don't let the old wives tales scare you away, matte finishes are only hard to take care of if you don't take care of your car. It's pretty much conclusive that those on C5 take very good care of their cars, so it'll require the same, maybe a bit more care than a gloss finish just a whole different method. Just carry a bottle of quick detailer to get rid of stuff you spot in between washes.
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #30
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
These instructions were on the site I linked:

- Do not use wax, detail spray, ArmorAll, or any products made for normal paint. Use only products specifically developed for matte finish paint.
- Do not use products that are even mildly abrasive, such as polishes, glazes, or rubbing compounds.
- Do not use mechanical cleaners or polishers.
- Do not use terrycloth, cloth or paper towels. Do not rub the finish vigorously — this will burnish the paint finish causing a permanent shiny spot. Shiny spots cannot be removed.
- Do not use commercial car wash facilities or their shine enhancement products. Most carwash brushes, large mechanized "towels" and shine enhancement products can damage matte paint.
- Remove foreign substances such as insect remains, tar, and road debris using a soft applicator and a mild solvent, saturate and soak area before cleaning — rub lightly.
- Hand-wash with a soft wash mitt and mild cleaning product safe for matte paint.
- Use microfiber cleaning cloths with alcohol-based window cleaner, for basic surface clean-up.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #31
jmhenry5150
2011 Camaro Newbie

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS (With RS package)
Warning: Pregnant women, the elderly, and children under 10 should avoid prolonged exposure to Happy Fun Ball.

Caution: Happy Fun Ball may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
Happy Fun Ball contains a liquid core, which, if exposed due to rupture, should not be touched, inhaled, or looked at.

Do not use Happy Fun Ball on concrete.

Discontinue use of Happy Fun Ball if any of the following occurs:
- itching
- vertigo
- dizziness
- tingling in extremities
- loss of balance or coordination
- slurred speech
- temporary blindness
- profuse sweating
- heart palpitations

If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.

Happy Fun Ball may stick to certain types of skin.

When not in use, Happy Fun Ball should be returned to its special container and kept under refrigeration. Failure to do so relieves the makers of Happy Fun Ball, Wacky Products Incorporated, and its parent company, Global Chemical Unlimited, of any and all liability.

Ingredients of Happy Fun Ball include an unknown glowing substance which fell to Earth, presumably from outer space.

Happy Fun Ball has been shipped to our troops in Saudi Arabia and is also being dropped by our warplanes on Iraq.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Happy Fun Ball comes with a lifetime guarantee.

- J. Michael Henry
jmhenry5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #32
Dj B-Stylz

Drives: 2012 Flat Black Knight Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysen View Post
That is going to look epic. I do not envy the work you're going to have to put in to keeping it clean though.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...173756232.html
Thanks for posting this!
Dj B-Stylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:13 PM   #33
Dj B-Stylz

I will be sure to post pics guys. Would love to start attending Camaro events in Colorado too. As for rims go I was thinking the SS 20's in black. Nice to meet everyone and thanks for the great replies!
Old 07-25-2012, 11:21 PM   #34
tjk_art

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj B-Stylz View Post
Ya man didn't want anything wrapped. I wrap presents not my car. Did it the right way that will last forever.
Not necessarily true..

All the matt black on my car is vinyl. More durable, easier to clean/wax/dress, and much cheaper to fix.

You can't polish it, and depending on the clear coat might not even be able to wax it. I would be careful even rubbing it too hard when you wash and dry it or you my burnish a spot to be glossier than the rest

Good luck.
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:31 PM   #35
Dj B-Stylz

This is how i wash my car before and after:

- Hand-wash with a soft wash mitt and mild cleaning product safe for matte paint.
- Use microfiber cleaning cloths with alcohol-based window cleaner, for basic surface clean-up.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #36
Dj B-Stylz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk_art View Post
Not necessarily true..

All the matt black on my car is vinyl. More durable, easier to clean/wax/dress, and much cheaper to fix.

You can't polish it, and depending on the clear coat might not even be able to wax it. I would be careful even rubbing it too hard when you wash and dry it or you my burnish a spot to be glossier than the rest

Good luck.
Ya you just have to replace yours every 4-5 years.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:14 AM   #37
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk_art View Post
Not necessarily true..

Good luck.

Its harder for a lot of guys to paint matte finishes because they cannot cover up their mistakes by wet sanding and buffing.

They have some matte clearcoats out there, but most painters just hit it with a one shot deal. If it has crap in the paint they have to do it over.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:17 AM   #38
Dj B-Stylz

Very happy to have an amazing painter behind this project. Mine will have a clear coat as well.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:27 AM   #39
jesserayjames

Drives: Drives a 2012 IOM 2SS/RS 6M
You guys do this so you don't have to detail your cars...........................................
Old 07-26-2012, 12:31 AM   #40
Dj B-Stylz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesserayjames View Post
You guys do this so you don't have to detail your cars...........................................
HAHA ya looking forward to NEVER waxing my ride again. LOL
Old 07-26-2012, 06:56 AM   #41
AntzV

Drives: blacked out 2010 Camaro
Whose painting it?
AntzV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:16 AM   #42
JSLSlim

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS A6
Sounds cool! Please post some pics when done.
JSLSlim is offline   Reply With Quote