Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-09-2013, 01:27 AM   #1
ajbutler
AJ Butler

Drives: 2012 2ss/rs Convertible
Exhaust question

Has anyone of you vert owners upgraded to a Flowmaster or Magnaflow Cat back exhaust system? I have a 2012 2ss/rs Triple Black Vert, blacked out lights,black wheels, and tinted windows. I am looking for that muscle car sound, but I have not seen , nor heard any Verts with either of these systems. Any feedback would be helpful.
ajbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #2
Poohbear

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Check out solo exhaust I believe they have the vert exhaust perfected.
Poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
haynes

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2 SS convertible
I was going to wait until my 2014 vert arrives and ride with the top down before deciding
haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
SSCAMAROGUY
2012 45th Anniv. 2SS Conv

Drives: 2012 45th Anniv. SS
Save your money on the exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbutler View Post
Has anyone of you vert owners upgraded to a Flowmaster or Magnaflow Cat back exhaust system? I have a 2012 2ss/rs Triple Black Vert, blacked out lights,black wheels, and tinted windows. I am looking for that muscle car sound, but I have not seen , nor heard any Verts with either of these systems. Any feedback would be helpful.
My advice is to save your money. I too was in search of that muscle car sound and bought a Magna-Flow Cat back exhaust. The sound difference is marginal at best. In fact at wide open throttle the stock exhaust had more bark.

I've gone to a set of QTP electric Cut-outs, but because the verts have alot of bracing underneath, they needed to be mounted just in front of the mufflers to get proper clearance. Not ideal.

My suggestion, try removing both mufflers on the stock system first and going with a straight pipe. This will give you a little more rumble without being annoying to drive. If you don't like it, you have not made a big investment and can try something else.

With the Catalytic converters, the Camaro is inherently a pretty quiet car.

Good luck!
Old 07-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
pannhead51

Drives: 2SS convertible
I have the Solo axle-back w/J-pipes and it lacks the deep muscle car tone ..it's just too raspy.. if I could go back and do it all over again I would've definitely would have gone with a cat-back system.
pannhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
Search the exhaust section here and You Tube for sound bytes. You'll find these systems, and hundreds of opinions. Consider the pain of drone at highway speeds. It only takes a 2-hour road trip to realize your deep rumble at the stop light also makes you want to stab your ears with a sharp pencil when in 6th gear. My Solo Mach XC Cat-back has a great rumble at idle and roars at launch, and no drone on the highway.

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Flowmaster Force II's on mine. I wanted something that sounded tough, but wouldn't shake your teeth loose while going out to dinner. It's perfect! It only took me about an hour to install it.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
I have the Solo Performance with J Pipes and it was the best $450 I ever spent in my life! The "true muscle car" sound is very subjective. For some it's just a muffler delete. I would suggest meeting up with some members near you and listening to their exhaust. I just went by the youtube videos posted on here. My favorite vids were by Solo because they had verts in the videos, so I went with Solo.

Regarding the Solo, it's like a million times louder and deeper and sexier than the the OEM exhaust. The art hanging in my living room shakes every time I start the car now. People have stopped me and asked me if I have a different kind of Camaro because they've never heard one that "sounds like that." I do have an LS3 I'm sure that helps. But whatever you do don't give up on the search for the muscle car sound. It may not sound like a 1967 real deal muscle car, but God it sounds good! Here's my vid:

snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
Chris82xx
Make your peace with God!

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6 Convertible
I went with the Borla full 3" exhaust. I did remove the stock bracing, but replaced it the LG chassis brace. It reenforces the braces would go. If you want to stick with the bracing, then you will need to find something that is compatible with verts.
ECS base supercharger (NOVI 1500SL), ECS AlKY control kit, 92mm TB, ARH 1 7/8" LT's non-catted, Borla 3" exhaust, ID850 injectors, Squash fuel system, ECS Big Blower Cam, MGW short throw shifter, DSS 1000hp axles, LGW differential cover, billet caps, Tech AFX heater hoses, Pedders differential bushings, Eaton TrueTrac differential, PRC dual valve springs, Katech C5R timing chain, ATI balancer, Meilings oil pump, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Pfadt Tie Rods, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt End Links, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Chris82xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
BlueRay-J

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Convertible
I did corsa.

Mild volume for vert, but a good deep tone.

Walking behind the car puts a smile on my face, especially when the dealer starts it in their bay. (sad that I know this, but 7 visits before I hit 5k miles made this a common occurance)

It's actually a lot louder behind the car than it seems in the car.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
BlueRay-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
Cool AirZ28

Drives: 2013 Black Camaro 2SS/RS Convert.
Solo's

Your car sounds good. I like to tone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post
I have the Solo Performance with J Pipes and it was the best $450 I ever spent in my life! The "true muscle car" sound is very subjective. For some it's just a muffler delete. I would suggest meeting up with some members near you and listening to their exhaust. I just went by the youtube videos posted on here. My favorite vids were by Solo because they had verts in the videos, so I went with Solo.

Regarding the Solo, it's like a million times louder and deeper and sexier than the the OEM exhaust. The art hanging in my living room shakes every time I start the car now. People have stopped me and asked me if I have a different kind of Camaro because they've never heard one that "sounds like that." I do have an LS3 I'm sure that helps. But whatever you do don't give up on the search for the muscle car sound. It may not sound like a 1967 real deal muscle car, but God it sounds good! Here's my vid:

2013 Camaro 2SS/RS-Smoked tail lights and side markers, HID log lights, & LED lighting inside/outside the car, SJM LED Cupholder, SJM full dashboard ABL lighting, ZL1 Rockers, 1LE Splitter, Showstopper LED Mirrors, Showstopper LED Side Markers, & Showstopper Heat Extractor Hood, 20" Niche Concourse ZL1 Styled wheels 20X8.5 & 20X10 with 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 Nitto Invos, Black Gorilla Lug Nuts/Locks, Black Billet Elite Camaro License Plate Holder, and Hydro Dipped Speedo/Shifter/AC-Heat Bezels.
Cool AirZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:49 PM   #12
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
[QU OT E=ajbutler;6765962]Has anyone of you vert owners upgraded to a Flowmaster or Magnaflow Cat back exhaust system? I have a 2012 2ss/rs Triple Black Vert, blacked out lights,black wheels, and tinted windows. I am looking for that muscle car sound, but I have not seen , nor heard any Verts with either of these systems. Any feedback would be helpful.[/QUOTE]

Greetings!

If you want a good comparison, check my build thread... I posted videos of my stock SS exhaust, then with magnaflow competition cat back exhaust, then with stainless works off Road headers... No video will ever capture a true sound, but at least you can compare all 3 stages filmed at the same angle on the same car with the same camera...

I can say, I wanted the bass Rumble of a flowmaster AT series; and got more of raspy Borla Atak sound. It began settling in after a month, deeper and smoother yet still quiet, But I jumped right into the headers after about 5-6 weeks. Between the cat back + x pipe, resonator instead of muffler; no cats AND headers- its a seriously loud aggressive sound. Not the deep bass I was hoping for, but a loud, throaty/raspy race-car sound. Neighbors hate it and it turns heads in town! Cool decel pop that ive learned to control, sounds like a shotgun blast! Heavy drone (LS3) with top up 72-82mph, not audible when top down.

Hope this helps!
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:13 AM   #13
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Check out the Solo Mach XC w/J pipes. A cat back system for under $900. This way you could keep your entire factory muffler system if you ever wanted to R&R it. Also, you would get rid of the butterfly valves and the suitcase factory mufflers for a cleaner look and with a cat back you could potentially gain a few hp as compared to a muffler delete or axle back.

Last edited by SS PANTHER; 08-03-2013 at 04:19 AM. Reason: added a sentence
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #14
Cobra Kai

Drives: 11 Camaro 2SS/RS VR!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCAMAROGUY View Post
My advice is to save your money. I too was in search of that muscle car sound and bought a Magna-Flow Cat back exhaust. The sound difference is marginal at best. In fact at wide open throttle the stock exhaust had more bark.

I've gone to a set of QTP electric Cut-outs, but because the verts have alot of bracing underneath, they needed to be mounted just in front of the mufflers to get proper clearance. Not ideal.

My suggestion, try removing both mufflers on the stock system first and going with a straight pipe. This will give you a little more rumble without being annoying to drive. If you don't like it, you have not made a big investment and can try something else.

With the Catalytic converters, the Camaro is inherently a pretty quiet car.

Good luck!
I brought my qtp's to my local muffler shop and they told me they couldn't do it. you were able to do it right in front of the mufflers?
AAC Concept LED sidemarkers, red strut covers, RPI painted GM strut tower brace, ABL LED Dome light, RPI painted speedo surround & console gauges surround, Gary's Customz bowtie!, Lloyd's custom mats, sequential tails, KMC rockstar wheels!

THE THING THAT SHOULD NOT BE
Cobra Kai is offline   Reply With Quote