Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-30-2014, 06:33 AM   #1
Therealbigrich

Drives: 2020 1SS
Car in accident need help does estimate sound right

So I was sitting in traffic and this guy breaks to late and runs into the back of me . His insurance company looked at the car and came up with a estimate of around 7k to fix everything I just wanted to know does it sound right. Also when I got hit my dash started lighting up and I think there is a Stabilitrack service message that comes up I wonder how much that would take as well.
Attached Images

Therealbigrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:43 AM   #2
NYCamOwner
"Katy"

Drives: 2014 2LT A6 'Vert
You need to get estimates on your own, and I would get 3 of them if you can. Do you have a favorite garage that you get your work done at? Start there and then compare them. Until you have repair estimates nothing can be done.
Did he hit you hard enough to push you into something in front of you?

Possible next mods:
Throttle Body
Exhaust

Upstate C5 Member

No, that is not me in the avatar..... I just love hot girls and hot cars.... or hot girls IN hot cars....
NYCamOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:55 AM   #3
SAWMILL

Drives: 2014 RS/SS
Just take it to a shop you are comfortable with, get an estimate. It should be no problem with the insurance. Just make sure its fixed right, and everything works like it is supposed to. Most estimates are revised as they dig into it.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:21 AM   #4
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
Seven grand is just an estimate. Like others have said, they will not have a better number until they dig into your car. That said, I personally think that seven grand is a little bit conservative, especially without examining your drive train, frame, rear suspension, etc..
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:02 AM   #5
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Find some local shops that come recommended, and get estimates there. Never go to the insurance company's shop. Their primary interest is fixing your car as cheap as they can to keep the insurance company happy and get repeated insurance business.

Local shop will be more interested in repeat word of mouth business so will be more willing to fight for you to get your car fixed right.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:58 AM   #6
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
Ask the body shop if they will upgrade the repair to a ZL1 front end or 2014 front and back. You would pay the difference but it might be worth it if your going to keep your car a whole lot longer.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:06 AM   #7
backbaconrules

Drives: 2011 LT Black
It cost $1800 just to replace my bumper and diffuser. I had way less damage then what you do.
backbaconrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:29 AM   #8
Therealbigrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCamOwner View Post
You need to get estimates on your own, and I would get 3 of them if you can. Do you have a favorite garage that you get your work done at? Start there and then compare them. Until you have repair estimates nothing can be done.
Did he hit you hard enough to push you into something in front of you?
Yeah I ended hitting a minivan in the number when I got hit . The way its working so far they took it to the shop I usually go to since they have a collision center. They did say if they find anything else anything else the insurance company would pay for it.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #9
Superfly1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT #2197
Mine was hit in the same rear corner. Replaced quarter, bumper, deck lid, spoiler, exhaust and it ended up about 12K. 7K sounds like a quick estimate (possibly with cheap parts) and there should be supplements once the shop digs into it.

CAI intake | OBX LT Headers | Flowmaster AT Exhaust | Trifecta Tune | SS Rear Diff, Axles & Driveshaft
Zex 100 Shot Nitrous | Konig Airstrike Wheels | Custom Engine Cover, Fuse Box & Underhood Bowtie
Eibach Springs & SS Sway Bars
| BMR Strut Brace | Drake Shifter | Vitesse Paddles | 13.26 @ 105.88 mph
Superfly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:50 AM   #10
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
If another person's insurance is paying for it, I would just get the estimate from your dealer, and have them fix it.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #11
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
My 2011 convertible is in the autobody shop right now after Bambi decided to step out in front of my car 2 weeks ago. First buck of the 2014 season says the trooper who came after onstar called.
The autobody is owned by a close friend and I have been down there a few times since it was brought in. The damage is front bumper cover and passenger front quarter and a softball size dent in passenger door. Insurance estimate was $5.6K utilizing aftermarket parts. My autobody estimate is $7.2K utilizing all OEM parts. DON'T let them use aftermarket parts, the panels fit like crap and curves are not really right. We called the insurance company and they agreed finally after 2 more visits. Insurance company has the right to utilize aftermaket parts if the car is three years old or over 40K miles. You need to be involved with the claims people ! Don't think that because you bring the car to the dealer you are going to get OEM parts. ASK !
Old 11-30-2014, 11:46 AM   #12
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Make sure they use oem parts also. When someone backed into mu Mustang, there insurance priced for generic parts.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:47 AM   #13
Therealbigrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
My 2011 convertible is in the autobody shop right now after Bambi decided to step out in front of my car 2 weeks ago. First buck of the 2014 season says the trooper who came after onstar called.
The autobody is owned by a close friend and I have been down there a few times since it was brought in. The damage is front bumper cover and passenger front quarter and a softball size dent in passenger door. Insurance estimate was $5.6K utilizing aftermarket parts. My autobody estimate is $7.2K utilizing all OEM parts. DON'T let them use aftermarket parts, the panels fit like crap and curves are not really right. We called the insurance company and they agreed finally after 2 more visits. Insurance company has the right to utilize aftermaket parts if the car is three years old or over 40K miles. You need to be involved with the claims people ! Don't think that because you bring the car to the dealer you are going to get OEM parts. ASK !
that's a good point I might have to call back . I know I have less than 40k ad its a 12 so I don't know what that would be but I might have to ask about that .
Old 11-30-2014, 11:55 AM   #14
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Take the insurance estimate to the body shop of your choice, they will probably honor the estimate (they usually do)

Body shops work with insurance companies all the time, you will be ok. Anything the claims manager didn't see/missed will still be covered.

You will be ok.