Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-23-2020, 10:08 AM   #1
moloko

Drives: Camaro V6 2011 and 2014 V6
Defroster turns on when the engine is off

On Friday night I was listening to the radio with the engine off.

After about 10 or 15 minutes the radio went off and I turned it back on. A few minutes later I heard the AC fans on and saw the windshield fogging up a bit , it seemed strange since I didn't turn on the AC or touch any buttons, I turned on and then I removed the key and it went fans off.

I opened the car door and went back inside, pressed the lock key button and stayed inside the car to wait if the same thing happened. After a few minutes I heard the AC fans turn back on but for a seconds.

It left me worried, I bought the car 3 weeks ago and I didn't use it much yet. It's a 2014 V6 Camaro.

After that I didn't have time to test it again or not.
moloko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:12 AM   #2
moloko

On that night it was about 86 Fº and inside the car it was about 93 Fº, I was a little hot.
I also realized that the outdoor temperature sensor exaggerates the measurement, adding as 42 F º to 50 F º more than it actually does.

I do not think it has anything to do with my case, because it is not normal for defrosters to turn on by themselves with the engine off
Old 11-23-2020, 01:47 PM   #3
JD555

Drives: 2014 2SS RS, 6 sp man
My temp sensor has a mind of its own also.
JD555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:12 PM   #4
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
If you had the key in the ON position rather than ACC this makes sense. By the "AC fans" I assume you mean the engine fan? Or do you mean the passenger compartment blower fan? The engine fan is triggered by engine temp, which could have gone up after you stopped and sat there with the radio on, but only with the key in the "ON" position.
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:42 PM   #5
moloko

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlink View Post
If you had the key in the ON position rather than ACC this makes sense. By the "AC fans" I assume you mean the engine fan? Or do you mean the passenger compartment blower fan? The engine fan is triggered by engine temp, which could have gone up after you stopped and sat there with the radio on, but only with the key in the "ON" position.
That is the problem. It was without key. That's why I'm worried.

I got home, turned off the engine, stayed inside the car listening to music.
The radio went off (it's set to turn off every 10 or 15 minutes). Then I turned the radio back on, and soon after that I heard the cabin front defroster turn on by itself, where the air conditioner blows. I don't know if the engine fan came on.

When I turned the key, the cabin fan (front defroster) went off instantly. This is not normal.

After a few minutes and with the radio off I heard that it turned on in the cabin fan two or three more times for a few seconds. It sounds like the AC is on blowing air into the car

Last edited by moloko; 11-24-2020 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:53 PM   #6
moloko

It is confirmed that my new car has a problem with the AC issue.

I started the car and turned on the AC but it wouldn't start the compressor. I turned the AC off and on several times, but it was still blowing hot air.

I had to stop, turn off and turn on the engine and that's when the AC worked.

In short. When I turn off the engine, the cabin fan turns on itself for a few moments (without being in contact, leaving my battery at low levels)
And now the AC compressor doesn't stick a few times until you turn the engine off and on.

When I put on the AC, the compressor seems to me that makes at first a noise type geared, I do not know if it is normal, does not sound very strong but neither sounds slowly the noise

Where can I start friends?
Old 07-07-2023, 03:25 AM   #7
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Did anyone ever find out what causes the blower fan to come on intermittently when the ignition is off?
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is online now   Reply With Quote