Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-19-2015, 11:55 AM   #113
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretts View Post
Well I just had my car in for a gear recalibration and various other items looked after, no warranty issues or comments on "our agreed to prior "level of modifications as below in my sig. And also no charge plus a 2015 rs convertible loaner overnite as I am an out of town customer
Highly recommended these guys here in Loydminster Alberta!
Sounds like you have a good dealer. Nice sig picture by the way.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:37 PM   #114
Bretts
SS

Drives: 2015 2ss rs
very good! and thanks took it at the Abbotsford airshow this summer
CCW sp16a track set, BTR stage 3 cam and kooks longtubes with high flow catsLocks@7.5 degrees castor and radius arm inserts, Ride Tech 2coilovers JDP upper control arm bushings BMR lower knuckle bushing Bo White throttle body3.91 gears Spohn del-sphere toe link and trailing arms Prothane subframe bushings
Bretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #115
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
Last fall I had a cam swap done. Throughout the fall and into the winter I noticed coolant on the ground while it was in storage. This spring I decided to bring it in to have it checked out. Come to find out I was one of those unlucky people whose oil cooler line was cross threaded into the block from the factory. The dealership said they tried to seal it and retap it, but it just wasn't working. Obviously from the sound of my car and the things done under the hood they new the engine had been modded. Actually many of them came over to check out my car since they don't get to see stuff like that very often. I told them everything I had done and got a lot of compliments. Anyhow, come to find out GM authorized a new engine block since none of my mods caused this problem. GM acknowledged that this happened from the factory and took responsibility. So GM paid for the labor to remove, install, and the cost of the block. However, I had to pay the labor cost of moving all my internals from the old block into the new block which ran me another $1500 plus another $300 for new gaskets and BR30 oil.
Had a similar problem recently but it was with the transmission line that is leaking and I swore it was a known problem. Of course my car is modded and tuned, brought it to the dealership to see where the leak was coming from and that's how I found out. You can hear the car when it's getting closer and got lots of compliments about it to. I believe they knew it was modified but still accepted the warranty. Well the transmission line is not under the powertrain warranty so I passed up on getting it fixed for now so the old man and I will fix it sometime in the next couple of weeks but at least the checkup was free though since it is not tune related. As long as the tune is not the cause of any engine related problems, the warranty is still in tact I believe.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:36 AM   #116
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
After the bumper to bumper warranty is out- it's not free to diagnose issues that aren't covered by powertrain. It's cool your dealer didn't charge, but the warranty doesn't pay for that kind of stuff anymore.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:42 AM   #117
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace0751 View Post
Had a similar problem recently but it was with the transmission line that is leaking and I swore it was a known problem. Of course my car is modded and tuned, brought it to the dealership to see where the leak was coming from and that's how I found out. You can hear the car when it's getting closer and got lots of compliments about it to. I believe they knew it was modified but still accepted the warranty. Well the transmission line is not under the powertrain warranty so I passed up on getting it fixed for now so the old man and I will fix it sometime in the next couple of weeks but at least the checkup was free though since it is not tune related. As long as the tune is not the cause of any engine related problems, the warranty is still in tact I believe.
Exactly. The issue in questions has to be a direct result of the modification.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:15 PM   #118
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
So what's the plan here? Talk to the Service Manager before you buy the car you might plan to mod? One supposedly "cool" local dealer owner (I think he was) I talked to while attending a dinner said. "Sorry our policy is if you mod it its yours."

I think dealers who will work with you may be hard to find. There should be a sticky "cool dealer" list on here with a secret password. Chevy is all over this site, don't they own it?
Old 02-11-2016, 10:29 AM   #119
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
So what's the plan here? Talk to the Service Manager before you buy the car you might plan to mod? One supposedly "cool" local dealer owner (I think he was) I talked to while attending a dinner said. "Sorry our policy is if you mod it its yours."

I think dealers who will work with you may be hard to find. There should be a sticky "cool dealer" list on here with a secret password. Chevy is all over this site, don't they own it?
Some dealers do have a policy that they do not work on modified cars but that doesn't have anything to do with your warranty. You could post in your regional sub-forum here on C5 and ask for suggestions in your area. Usually a good indicator is if a dealership sponsors the local Corvette and Camaro clubs.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:57 PM   #120
DILLIGAF

Drives: 2023 ZL1 M6 Rapid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
I'd just like to know if anyone on here has been denied an actual warranty repair because of a tune. It sounds like people have had the reverse experience and it would have to be something directly related to the tune, which I'm sure most of the "canned" tunes available have been tested against and will not cause problems. But I'd like anyone who has had a denial to speak up. I'm sure others are interested as well.
I have, on my 2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0t, which was traded in for my camaro
DILLIGAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:31 AM   #121
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLIGAF View Post
I have, on my 2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0t, which was traded in for my camaro
I would be interested in hearing the details.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:52 AM   #122
DILLIGAF

Drives: 2023 ZL1 M6 Rapid Blue
I purchased and installed a catless downpipe and intake tube with a custom email tune from a company for my cadillac ats 2.0t. about two months later the car started running rough (it was a misfire code) so i limped it home to look for a loose coil or plug wire. everything was tight so i just drove a mile down the street to the dealer. I didnt think it was anything terrible. they obviously saw the parts, i was honest and said it was tuned. the checked the obvious and didnt find anything so they put a scope in the spark plug holes. found one of the pistons had a hole in it. they sent me home saying they would order parts and get it fixed. a week went by, they called and said they wanted their loaner car back and that my car would not be fixed. denied warranty because of modifications. you can tell the dealer anything you want at this point, they wont fix it and they have their regional rep behind them also denying the fix. I tried BBB mitigation and they sided with GM. My experience has shown me to get a lawyer right away and fight using magnuson moss act, but not knowing how long that would take and how much it would cost, I figured it to be cheaper to get a used engine and have it put in. cost me about $5500 all said and done.

So if anyone is looking to rebuild an LTG FOR their gen6 camaro head on over to the camaro6 forum marketplace and buy my old engine.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:49 AM   #123
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLIGAF View Post
I purchased and installed a catless downpipe and intake tube with a custom email tune from a company for my cadillac ats 2.0t. about two months later the car started running rough (it was a misfire code) so i limped it home to look for a loose coil or plug wire. everything was tight so i just drove a mile down the street to the dealer. I didnt think it was anything terrible. they obviously saw the parts, i was honest and said it was tuned. the checked the obvious and didnt find anything so they put a scope in the spark plug holes. found one of the pistons had a hole in it. they sent me home saying they would order parts and get it fixed. a week went by, they called and said they wanted their loaner car back and that my car would not be fixed. denied warranty because of modifications. you can tell the dealer anything you want at this point, they wont fix it and they have their regional rep behind them also denying the fix. I tried BBB mitigation and they sided with GM. My experience has shown me to get a lawyer right away and fight using magnuson moss act, but not knowing how long that would take and how much it would cost, I figured it to be cheaper to get a used engine and have it put in. cost me about $5500 all said and done.

So if anyone is looking to rebuild an LTG FOR their gen6 camaro head on over to the camaro6 forum marketplace and buy my old engine.
Crappy situation but thanks for sharing your story.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:14 PM   #124
0331Marine

Drives: 2012 SS/RS MN6
Guess everyone is different. I buy a car with every intention of adding parts. When I picked up my C5 Vette I went for a regular coupe vs the ZO6 because I was going to take everything off that would have made it a ZO6 and replace it.

One big difference I see is most people that worry about voiding their warranty do not work on their own vehicles (not talking about oil changes and minor things).
0331Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:15 AM   #125
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0331Marine View Post
Guess everyone is different.
Indeed, they are.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:52 PM   #126
JB12ZL1

Drives: victory red Camaro ZL1
my 2012 ZL1 had numerous issues leaving me stranded on the road. ecu code,bcm code,o2 code,stabilitrak code,air flow code etc after installing a throttle body. dealer could never duplicate so finally I got the stabilitrak code for the tenth time called onstar and they logged it. Faulty ecu was the issue. In total I have replaced battery,02 sensor,ecu,and supercharger/pully too many for a car at the time with only 28,000 miles. car ran rough so I decided to install LT's and a tune and car runs better than it ever had from GM. It seems GM cares more about key fobs than the the real issues i've been reading about people having with their Camaro's. one poor guy had his ZL1 at the dealer for over three months. The fix buy back his car and make him pay msrp for a new 2016 SS. If I experience anymore issues with mine I'll be buying a Challenger and it kills me to say it.
JB12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tune, void warranty, warranty