Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 09-12-2016, 09:18 AM   #85
RKeeton

Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro View Post
Well almost all of the 1LE's at nationals this year were on 305's if that tells you anything and were very quick.
The courses were great with the 305's. The big sweepers were a breeze with great balance (no understeer). Even the slaloms were good as long as you didn't enter too fast. The shorter tire had me hitting the rev limiter at the finish line on the west course. Something that has never happened before.
We noticed that the McGeorge 1LE was really stable and flat on course where my car would lean more and really dive under braking. Some pictures, the front splitter was almost touching the concrete. I think the tires actually contributed to that since there was so much grip. The car needs the shock upgrade from stock to compensate and support the weight transfer.
RKeeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:14 AM   #86
clarkkent

Drives: 2013 2SS (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeeton View Post
The courses were great with the 305's. The big sweepers were a breeze with great balance (no understeer). Even the slaloms were good as long as you didn't enter too fast. The shorter tire had me hitting the rev limiter at the finish line on the west course. Something that has never happened before.
We noticed that the McGeorge 1LE was really stable and flat on course where my car would lean more and really dive under braking. Some pictures, the front splitter was almost touching the concrete. I think the tires actually contributed to that since there was so much grip. The car needs the shock upgrade from stock to compensate and support the weight transfer.
Time for some Z28 suspension!

On another note, FYI I put some pics up of the 305/30r19 trofeo r's on Apex Arc8 19x10.5" wheels. I definitely wouldn't put 305's on 10" wide wheels

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=32
Old 09-14-2016, 10:41 AM   #87
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkkent View Post

On another note, FYI I put some pics up of the 305/30r19 trofeo r's on Apex Arc8 19x10.5" wheels. I definitely wouldn't put 305's on 10" wide wheels

Nope time for the new adjustable Koni Yellows
Old 09-14-2016, 12:23 PM   #88
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro View Post
Nope time for the new adjustable Koni Yellows
Can you stay in FS with the Konis on our cars? I've heard that the adjustable spring perches move them to another category.

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:21 PM   #89
Cornercarver
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
Can you stay in FS with the Konis on our cars? I've heard that the adjustable spring perches move them to another category.
Yellows don't have adjustable spring perchs.
Cornercarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #90
nilfinite

Drives: Camaro 1LE
The final news on the Koni Yellow (I made some posts questioning their legality) is that they are legal for FS. They were used on the Gen5 1LE that got #2 in the FS class @ 2016 SCCA Nationals.

One person mentioned that the car rides lower with the Koni Yellows. Another person mentioned that it's the same height. Either way, differences in the gas/oil/construction of the shocks might contribute to slightly different ride heights. As long as the spring perch is the same height as stock, it's legal.

Last edited by nilfinite; 09-14-2016 at 04:35 PM.
nilfinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:07 PM   #91
RKeeton

Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkkent View Post

It was a struggle to get them to mount, but how about the 275's on 8.5 inch wheels. They aren't in spec either, but that was the fastest car at Nationals. Autocross is a different discipline and defies the norm in tire fitment. It has always been that way since I have been involved.
RKeeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:05 PM   #92
fzss

Drives: 2013 SS Camaro
Just got mine mounted in time for an event this Saturday. These are the fronts, 19x10. We had no issue whatsoever getting them to mount, got all 4 mounted and balanced in under 45 minutes. I'll update on Sunday or Monday.

fzss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:10 PM   #93
JRL1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzss View Post
Just got mine mounted in time for an event this Saturday. These are the fronts, 19x10. We had no issue whatsoever getting them to mount, got all 4 mounted and balanced in under 45 minutes. I'll update on Sunday or Monday.

JRL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:27 PM   #94
Z3papa

Drives: 2011 BMW M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilfinite View Post
The final news on the Koni Yellow (I made some posts questioning their legality) is that they are legal for FS. They were used on the Gen5 1LE that got #2 in the FS class @ 2016 SCCA Nationals.

One person mentioned that the car rides lower with the Koni Yellows. Another person mentioned that it's the same height. Either way, differences in the gas/oil/construction of the shocks might contribute to slightly different ride heights. As long as the spring perch is the same height as stock, it's legal.
I was both paddocked across from Courtney and Rod, and grid next to them. I consider them friends. I didn't notice the car was appreciably lower than earlier in the year but wasn't taking measurements and would never protest as I lent them my sprayer first day to bring tire temps down. The tires are hella big and definitely worthwhile if you are auto crossing an 1LE. You can't really ever say they are "legal" until or unless someone takes measurements to be certain they won't be papered. Probably the authority who knows best is Sam Strano or Lee at Koni as they know the issue I referenced earlier.
Z3papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:07 PM   #95
nilfinite

Rod and Courtney bought the Koni's from Sam Strano. Those veterans know the rules exactly and wouldn't risk getting protested!

Last edited by nilfinite; 09-16-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:17 PM   #96
Z3papa

Drives: 2011 BMW M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilfinite View Post
Rod and Courtney bought the Koni's from Sam Strano. Those veterans know the rules exactly and wouldn't risk getting protested!
If they bought them from Sam, I'm certain then they were either legal when manufactured or modified using the weld on washer which fixed the unit to not increase camber. Sam was source of information that some Koni units were not in compliance with rules.
Z3papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:27 PM   #97
nilfinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3papa View Post
If they bought them from Sam, I'm certain then they were either legal when manufactured or modified using the weld on washer which fixed the unit to not increase camber. Sam was source of information that some Koni units were not in compliance with rules.
Gotcha. Interesting info!

Has anyone tried custom-valved Koni shocks before? Still need to read up on shock construction... So we want max gas pressure to get some extra spring rate from the shocks and then what else?
Old 09-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #98
fzss

Drives: 2013 SS Camaro
Update from Saturday's Champ event:

Took 1st in CAM-C by 1.7 seconds. The driver in 2nd usually has me by several tenths, but not yesterday.

Also had the fastest CAM time of the day, beating out a well-prepped Z06 with a very experienced driver.

I hate to sound like a fanboy, but these 305 tires are seriously incredible. I landed at about 36 psi up front and 35 psi in the rear as my happy place, just about at sea level 75 degrees F. I only did 5 runs, so I'm curious what pressures others are running.

Funny thing: the rear wheels actually spun several degrees inside of the tires during my runs, throwing off the balance. I'm hoping this isn't the grip/power combination, but rather the leftover grease used to mount the tires... oops!
fzss is offline   Reply With Quote