Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-01-2022, 12:15 PM   #1
VaporPressure

Drives: '18 ZL1 1LE
Service rear axle

Hi guys, hoping for some help…currently at a track day and having some strange issues. Midway through a semi spirited out-lap I’m having active rev match turn off automatically. Shortly after that happens I get a message saying “Service rear axle”

I checked for codes and have a pending fault code P0300 cylinder misfire, but no CEL.

Underside of the car looks totally normal. No blown fuse to the eLSD that I can identify.

Only other possibly related thing is that the last few days I’ve been having a louder engine ticking/flutter sound at 2500-3500 RPM. Based on searches I thought it may be normal fuel injector/AFM system noises, but now I wonder if it’s connected somehow.

Any thoughts? Thanks
VaporPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 02:13 PM   #2
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
If you have a cylinder misfire check plugs, plug wires and if you have headers you can use a laser theremoter and find the dead cylinder with (coolest cylinder) might be a injector as well.
Pretty much if you have any engine issues youll get the service stabilitrak/service rear axle. I beleive it limits power and throughs that message.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 04:50 PM   #3
VaporPressure

Thanks. Interestingly when we unplugged a coil pack and started the car, I got the stabilitrak/rear axle error immediately on start (whereas usually it takes about a lap). So I believe you’re right, the issue is not really at the axle or diff.

That time the code thrown was P0305 though, specifying the cylinder we unplugged. Typically though, it’s a code suggesting random misfire, so maybe wiring is bad.
Old 10-02-2022, 12:07 AM   #4
Nc1le

Drives: 2002 Chevrolet 2ss 1le
Do you have long tube headers installed?
Nc1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:41 AM   #5
Beescuz

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
Had the same issue at Daytona last year. GM had to replace my rear diff.

The EDiff fluid leaked into the differential. They checked the fluid level of the EDiff and it was low. Then they checked the fluid level in the differential and it was high. When they drained the differential they could see the mix of fluid. They are saying currently that they believe a seal went between the two which caused the issue.
Beescuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:57 AM   #6
VaporPressure

Ok. Guess I’ll have them look at the diff too then. As an update, changing the spark plugs didn’t do anything. All the plugs looked pretty good. Same issue where it’s ok for a slow outlap, then immediately puts up the dash error once I’m going just a little faster.

Beescuz - in your case did you have a cylinder misfire code?
Old 10-02-2022, 08:03 PM   #7
Beescuz

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
No didn't have the cylinder misfire code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPressure View Post
Ok. Guess I’ll have them look at the diff too then. As an update, changing the spark plugs didn’t do anything. All the plugs looked pretty good. Same issue where it’s ok for a slow outlap, then immediately puts up the dash error once I’m going just a little faster.

Beescuz - in your case did you have a cylinder misfire code?
Beescuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:04 AM   #8
Nc1le

Drives: 2002 Chevrolet 2ss 1le
So you didn’t answer the header question, but the reason I ask, is most long tubes have no head shield on them, and I have heard the spark plug wires need a shielding of some sort when you do that. If you didn’t it’s possible on track it’s getting hot enough it’s causing issues. Just a random guess since the spark plugs didn’t fix it.
Nc1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:06 AM   #9
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
What size tires are you running?
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:52 AM   #10
VaporPressure

My bad on forgetting to respond — no I don’t have headers. The car is stock. Tires are 305/325 (19”), no rubbing in the fender liner but haven’t moved the harness since I’ve only run stock widths so far.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 10-03-2022, 12:53 PM   #11
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Service Rear Axle appears to come up for multiple reasons not directly related to the Axle.
Old 10-03-2022, 01:10 PM   #12
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPressure View Post
My bad on forgetting to respond — no I don’t have headers. The car is stock. Tires are 305/325 (19”), no rubbing in the fender liner but haven’t moved the harness since I’ve only run stock widths so far.

Thanks for the responses.
Have someone plug into it and see what chassis / communication codes are active. If you lose any sensor relating to the EBCM, PSCM, or CCM, it has the potential to throw out the axle as precautionary.

Mine got disabled when my steering angle sensor went out before
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:42 PM   #13
VaporPressure

Thanks, will investigate that. I plugged in a basic OBD reader and got the one code, but will the dealership have access to more codes that I might not have been able to see?
Old 01-24-2023, 06:25 AM   #14
VaporPressure

I thought I'd update this for anyone in the future searching for possible sources of the "Service rear axle" issue. Particularly with a new engine sound similar to lifter tick.

Initially the dealership thought it was a loose spark plug so they tightened it and sent me on my way despite my objections. An hour of spirited driving finally gave me a flashing CEL but only very briefly. Same P0300 code. Took the car back and dealership looked through everything again.

This time they discovered that on one lobe of the camshaft had basically flaked off/disintegrated. There was a big divot missing. It's weird to me that I wouldn't get a cylinder-specific code in this situation, but who knows. Maybe the flaked piece of cam was causing multiple cylinder issues. The dealership replaced a bunch of stuff under warranty including the camshaft, all the lifters, and the oil pump. They covered it under powertrain warranty even though I was upfront that the issue occurred at a track day (would have been $10k repair). Strangely the service rep said GM was only honoring warranty for track issues on the ZL1s and corvettes. I don't really believe that based on info from these forums, but didn't argue with him.

Car was fixed during the winter so no track testing yet, but it runs smoother and with no more lifter tick or CEL so far. Fingers crossed.