Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

Old 10-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #29
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
I agree...he did not look too impressive. I know he trains under one of the Gracie's for his JJ, but I don't know much else about his MMA skills.

I was training at the Gracie Academy here in Torrance, CA for a while, but had to drop it for financial reasons (I got laid off from my job).
Oh nice, those Gracie schools/studios are pretty nice, but quite expensive.

I train at a few of the small-scale gyms around here. Trying to get my feet wet and get in killer shape before I make the leap to the next level.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #30
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Oh nice, those Gracie schools/studios are pretty nice, but quite expensive.

I train at a few of the small-scale gyms around here. Trying to get my feet wet and get in killer shape before I make the leap to the next level.
Yeah, I definitely learned a lot more in the few months that I was there than my 3-4 years of doing Karate

Bro, I'm sure you're gonna do extremely well in your training! I think that when anybody is dedicated and committed to something they are passionate about, they will accomplish great things! Keep me (us) posted on your progress!

Are you specializing in a certain discipline?
Old 10-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #31
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
Yeah, I definitely learned a lot more in the few months that I was there than my 3-4 years of doing Karate

Bro, I'm sure you're gonna do extremely well in your training! I think that when anybody is dedicated and committed to something they are passionate about, they will accomplish great things! Keep me (us) posted on your progress!

Are you specializing in a certain discipline?
Thanks bud! I'm really nervous about stepping up. My power is very respectable, but I am not as fast and quick as I need to be to compete, I feel.

I started in boxing, and I love striking. So I am looking to get into some serious muay tai striking. I have messed around with some kick boxing.

I also want to get into BJJ and learn some transitions and ground game defense.

I would like to get into wrestling at some point, but I am a little nervous cuz I have had lower back problems in the past. Been cranking out the deadlifts and squats lately though, and been feeling really good.

That's sweet you have a Karate base. Good for balance and angles and stances. Do you feel it helped you a lot in your learning JJ?
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #32
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Thanks bud! I'm really nervous about stepping up. My power is very respectable, but I am not as fast and quick as I need to be to compete, I feel.

I started in boxing, and I love striking. So I am looking to get into some serious muay tai striking. I have messed around with some kick boxing.

I also want to get into BJJ and learn some transitions and ground game defense.

I would like to get into wrestling at some point, but I am a little nervous cuz I have had lower back problems in the past. Been cranking out the deadlifts and squats lately though, and been feeling really good.

That's sweet you have a Karate base. Good for balance and angles and stances. Do you feel it helped you a lot in your learning JJ?
I think that the quickness and speed will come in time. My buddy trained me in a bit of Muay Thai as well, but it wasn't a complete training, more like an intro. I definitely do notice the difference in Karate kicks vs Muay Thai kicks.

I think that if you are going to be going full-on MMA, the wrestling portion is going to be essential. A good, high-level wrestler can hold down a JJ practioner any day of the week...unless the wrestler leaves gaps and openings for the JJ practitioner to capitalize on. hopefully you can do some therapy for your lower back; I know Greco-Roman wrestling does not have any leg hooks or trips, so you will have to rely on your upper body for that.

To be honest, I think that the reflexes I built up during my Karate days was about the only thing that I was able to transition over to Gracie JJ. JJ is mostly about efficiency and who can control distances better, but the way that Gracie JJ was taught was more for self defense, rather than tournament (like Gracie-Barra).
Old 10-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #33
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Thought this would be fitting here: