Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #29
sen10l

Drives: In Transit
Sometimes I wonder if anyone ever reads the OP before replying. In the Wikipedia article, which maybe I wasn't clear but was supposed to be the FOCUS of this discussion, it states the differences between Pony Cars and Muscle cars based on size.

Therefore the current Camaro by their definition is a "Muscle Car" because its size has grown to a mid-size car. It's huge compared with the original Camaro, and comparable to the Chevelle (which they classified as a "muscle car").
Old 03-25-2010, 04:54 PM   #30
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Don't you love discussions on things that don't have absolute definitions? It's like politics and religion........almost. I guess nobody has died yet over the answer to this question.

Pony car was originally the Mustang, the Camaro was GMs entry into that new segment. So by the segment deffinition of originally one car, the Camaro was a Pony car. And keep in mind, the base Camaro was a Pony car just as much as the Z28.

Muscle car was simply adding bigger engines with more HP into otherwise mainstream cars. For example, the GTO was a pedestrian Tempest with a big motor shoved under the hood.

Sports car? That's an interesting one. I know Chevy has referred to the Camaro as a Sports Car, so who am I to argue with my employer. But there are some pretty hardcore definitions of Sports Car that say it has "only two seats". Hence a Solstice/Sky is a Sports Car.

Just my two pennies.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:24 PM   #31
papabearcamaro

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 Z71
I consider it modern muscle. I consider a Corvette a sports car especially being a two seater.
SOLD(Traded for 2012 Silverado Z71 4x4 and 2012 Sonic Hatch.)...2010 Camaro 1SS/RS/LS3,yellow with House of Kolor Tangerine Pearl rally stripes,manual trans.Hurst short throw shifter,4 pack rally gauges,Roto-Fab air intake,Kooks long tube headers with high-flow cats,Borla S-Type catback exhaust,Comp Cam,PRC ported heads,Maggie with 3.6 pulley and 1:1 cog drive,secondary fuel system with 65lb injectors,ADM digital A/F and Boost gauge,Pfadt trailing arms and subframe bushings.614.25rwhp/566.82rwtq on 8# of boost.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 EX.Cab 4X4 Z71.
papabearcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:31 PM   #32
thejoker1232

Drives: furture 1LT synergy green camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to thejoker1232
what's the difference between muscle and pony car i'm the noob.
thejoker1232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:49 PM   #33
PHEOX

Drives: '06 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
I always thought Mustang's were referred to as pony cars because, well, they're ponies.

I believe muscle car is much more fitting. Besides, mine's a Clydesdale, not a pony
Make sure it lays off the beer
PHEOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:52 PM   #34
sen10l

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejoker1232 View Post
what's the difference between muscle and pony car i'm the noob.

I just told you where I got the definitions in the OP!
Old 03-25-2010, 08:32 PM   #35
HIGHOCTANE

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sen10l View Post
Sometimes I wonder if anyone ever reads the OP before replying. In the Wikipedia article, which maybe I wasn't clear but was supposed to be the FOCUS of this discussion, it states the differences between Pony Cars and Muscle cars based on size.

Therefore the current Camaro by their definition is a "Muscle Car" because its size has grown to a mid-size car. It's huge compared with the original Camaro, and comparable to the Chevelle (which they classified as a "muscle car").
Keep believing Wiki is a valid reference....
I'm still confused at waht your point is?? Do you have one?
YOu asked for peoples thoughts...wasn't clear on what thoughts you were looking for..on what makes a Pony car/Muscle car...or whether wiki was accurate???
Let's see...and this is just a guess...Pony cars were those built specifically to compete with the Ford Mustang....size if far from the only factor...
Oh and the 2010 Carmaro is not 'huge" compared to a 1st gen...4" longer and 1.5" wider is huge in comparison?

Quote:

I just told you where I got the definitions in the OP!
Wow....

2010 IBM 2SS/RS Camaro (M6)
Previous rides:
2003 Twin Turbo Mustang Cobra(900 RWHP)
2004 KB S/C Mustang Cobra(700 RWHP)
2003 Mustang GT,Heads,Cam, N20 ect..
HIGHOCTANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #36
sen10l

It's just a discussion (you know, the purpose of a forum!), does it have to have a point? How many threads on this board actually lead to world-changing discoveries?

Here's a face palm for you for thinking that forum discussions often achieve anything.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:42 PM   #37
masterofpuppets
Pulling your strings

Drives: My girlfriend crazy with car talk
I'm torn on this. I think calling a 5th gen Camaro a muscle car is like calling all the alt rock bands that came out of the north west around the same time as Nirvana 'grunge' bands. It's just a label used to bump up sales. To me, muscle died in the 70's. Yes the term has history but calling it a muscle car limits it - big engine, big power, awesome in a straight line but it's big, heavy, and can't turn for crap. This let's the designers cut corners - ie the live rear axle in the mustang. People can defend that because 'it's a muscle car what do you expect'. Both the V6 and V8 are performance cars in 2 different classes.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:44 PM   #38
HIGHOCTANE

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
It's just a discussion, does it have to have a point? How many threads on this board actually lead to world-changing discoveries?

Quote:

lol....wow..just a discussion..but you post "wondering if people even read the OP" .... Foucs...point...whatever..
Sounds like you were trying to make some kind of point...just not doing a very good job of it..

Trying to build your post count?

And for the last sentence you added about forum discussions not achieving things...not with people like you on the forum they don't..

Way to go de-rail your own thread by belittling the people who replied to it...

How old are you if you don't mind me asking?
Sometimes it helps to know if a kid is posting...

2010 IBM 2SS/RS Camaro (M6)
Previous rides:
2003 Twin Turbo Mustang Cobra(900 RWHP)
2004 KB S/C Mustang Cobra(700 RWHP)
2003 Mustang GT,Heads,Cam, N20 ect..

Last edited by HIGHOCTANE; 03-25-2010 at 08:58 PM.
HIGHOCTANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:58 PM   #39
SLOWHITE

Drives: 2007 Trailblazer SS
Now that I've thought about it, the term muscle car is a '60s/'70s term to me. To me, today's Camaro is a Chevrolet or an American car, with muscle. And, don't hate, so is my Trailblazer if you ask me.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #40
Lazertoast

Drives: TORMENT - 2SS / M6 / Black on Black
While I agree that the Camaro should be referred to as a muscle car, for the entirety of my life I have heard the big three referred to as pony cars. I suspect this is due to the release of the Mustang a few years before either the Camaro or the Challenger.

Pony or muscle; we are still king of the big three. : )
Lazertoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:15 PM   #41
sen10l

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE View Post

Trying to build your post count?

And for the last sentence you added about forum discussions not achieving things...not with people like you on the forum they don't..
okay, I'll humour you. The level of a hobbyist is directly related to the amount of otherwise useless trivia about the subject matter he has, otherwise known as being an "idiot savant" about the subject matter. As a matter of curiosity, it would be nice to be able to answer someone should they ask me "so is your Camaro a pony car or a muscle car, I'm confused".

Is knowing the answer to the question going to bring world peace? No, hence there is no real point to 99% of discussions on any forum except to enlighten oneself about the subject matter. I wonder though, what meaning you see beyond that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE View Post
How old are you if you don't mind me asking?
Sometimes it helps to know if a kid is posting...
Oh, using the age line I see.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:39 PM   #42
duraclean
Ford

Drives: inf Orange Gray Stripe 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Either is correct, just don't call it a "Maro" ...
Maro is bad...I call mine Christine
duraclean is offline   Reply With Quote