Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-10-2011, 12:46 AM   #463
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by brAnd7onX View Post
When I get my SS... I want that ZL1 hood lol. Would go perfectly on an SS hood IMO.
I think in the chat today that Al Oppenhiser? said that the ZL1 hood would not fit on the SS.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:52 AM   #464
DallasMaroLover

Drives: 2010 Camaro IOM SS
Looks awesome, but the steering wheel..........come on guys!!! It looks like s%#$!! As soon as I saw it, lumina and malibu came to mind. I love the retro look of ours. Also not big on the suede.

I guess it seems like they put all kinds of time and creativity into the car, but when they got to the steering wheel, the creators were too decided to use the design off the Cruze's.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:56 AM   #465
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by john2000car View Post
ZL1! Congratulations GM! Camaro is awesome. Another winner for sure. Reminds me of the ultimate ZR1.
Hopefully, the ZL1 Camaro will now always be the ultimate mustang (regardless of whatever generic badges) killer. I hope it don't require competition badge for badge.

(Example - 2010 Camaro V6 practically matched the gt (2 models at 1 time).
Maybe I am off in my thinking and that just how the game is always going to be played. I suppose that one shouldn't mess with the winning style, performance, quality, and pricing model. Can't argue with that.

The unknown price tag concerns me a bit based on comments thus far, unless it is the "be all, end all" said killer. Almost reaching the sport car category price numbers.
My price guess would be low-to-mid $40s (worth it, I'm sure) and my dream price would be mid-to-high $30s.
I hate to tell you, but low 40's is dreaming too. They're adding about $15,000 worth of stuff to a 2SS. The price will reflect that

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakekiller View Post
i'm not counting my chickens before they hatch, GM made the mistake of not offering the car in 2011. Ford could easily up the power and make some changes here and there, Just like they are doing with the Super Duty.
the plan was to have it out by now, but when the auto market collapsed in 2008 and GM went bankrupt, they had to reconsider where they put their money. And a high performance, low volume addition to the Camaro lineup wasn't really the best choice for their investment.

As for your truck analogy ... to my knowledge, GM has won every single comparison of the newest HD trucks, before and after Ford's retune. Sometimes being utterly dominant.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:57 AM   #466
snakekiller

Drives: f150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Let's see what happens then.

I, for one, would rather wait an extra 6 months for a car that's been thoroughly tested and developed...rather than get it earlier because they catered to some impatient enthusiasts.
sure me to, but then again the ZL1 engine and suspension has been developed well in the CTS-V. I'm also sure this was in development quite awhile.
snakekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:02 AM   #467
SSpachinko

Drives: 2010 IBM SS Camaro
Lets not complain. We are all here for one thing. Muscle crush
SSpachinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:04 AM   #468
snakekiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I hate to tell you, but low 40's is dreaming too. They're adding about $15,000 worth of stuff to a 2SS. The price will reflect that

the plan was to have it out by now, but when the auto market collapsed in 2008 and GM went bankrupt, they had to reconsider where they put their money. And a high performance, low volume addition to the Camaro lineup wasn't really the best choice for their investment.

As for your truck analogy ... to my knowledge, GM has won every single comparison of the newest HD trucks, before and after Ford's retune. Sometimes being utterly dominant.
yes but they did it, one will think Ford will be more careful the second time around. Besides the F250 shortcomings come from being 400lbs overweight and crappy transmission, something the GT500 doesn't suffer from.
i believe the ZL1 will be around 4000lbs.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:04 AM   #469
snakekiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpachinko View Post
Lets not complain. We are all here for one thing. Muscle crush
yes indeed
Old 02-10-2011, 01:28 AM   #470
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakekiller View Post
yes but they did it, one will think Ford will be more careful the second time around. Besides the F250 shortcomings come from being 400lbs overweight and crappy transmission, something the GT500 doesn't suffer from.
i believe the ZL1 will be around 4000lbs.
But the GT500 has other short-commings
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:35 AM   #471
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post
I see Scott (FBODFATHER) has brought his sense humor to life with the ZL1

JUST POSITION THE LIGHTS IN A DIFFERENT PLACE

LMAO

I love everything except the dual fog lights. I just looks strange IMO. Hopefully they grow on me or the Leno/T3 vertical LED fog light will be available via the aftermarket.
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:00 AM   #472
snakekiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
But the GT500 has other short-commings
yes it does, mostly do to its laughable 285's.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:05 AM   #473
madmike2c

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
that hood, those wheels, and let's not forget that beautiful supercharged LSA!!! It's a combo that can't lose!!!
madmike2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:17 AM   #474
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Hm...maybe when it comes out I will change my mind but I don't know if it's worth me trading in my SS for one. I'm sure this thing is going to be $50,000. I paid about $40,000 for my SS and I won't even get $30,000 on trade in, or maybe not even on resale mean with the lose I would take and the extra $10,000 on top of the $40,000, I'm looking at an upgrade costing me $20,000+. I think I will probably stick with my SS and pimp that out some more instead. $20,000 could go a long ways. Plus this ZL1 isn't that great of an improvement on what I could do with $20,000. I do like the magnetic suspension but everything else I can do for my SS for way less than $20,000. Plus it will be unique and my car, the way I want it.
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:18 AM   #475
LS6-M22
Rockcrusher

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasMaroLover View Post
Looks awesome, but the steering wheel..........come on guys!!! It looks like s%#$!! As soon as I saw it, lumina and malibu came to mind. I love the retro look of ours. Also not big on the suede.

I guess it seems like they put all kinds of time and creativity into the car, but when they got to the steering wheel, the creators were too decided to use the design off the Cruze's.
I totally disagree. I happen to think the steering wheel is a huge improvement!I was unaware the cruze used a D-shaped steering wheel.I only wish that wheel came standard on my Z06. Now the only thing the camaro ZL1 needs is to get rid of the buck rogers speedo/tach and HVAC.
LS6-M22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:28 AM   #476
Wvallediego

Drives: Inferno Orange 2010 RS SS
I CAN'T AFFORD IT.
Wvallediego is offline   Reply With Quote