Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2010 Camaro5 Fest (I)

Old 04-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #57
syc

Drives: 1969 Yenko Camaro 2010 Yenko Camaro
The folks at the drag strip deserve a nice “atta boy”.

They were very forgiving in how they ran things (allowing passengers, no helmets, no bars, drive shaft loops, etc, normal required items).

I thought they kept things moving along nicely, which is not always easy when you are dealing with a lot of folks new to drag racing. I thought he call to the lanes was made in ample time and things were organized when you got to the staging area.

This is something to keep in mind as CF2 is planned, as not all tracks are this forgiving.

Also, I hear folks wanting to run a road course. Though this sounds neat, it is quite involved, as most tracks will not just let any and everyone ( and/or cars) onto their road course. Usually requires the drivers to have some schooling, and cars to have certain equipment. Also, usually who is using the track is required to furnish quite a bit of manpower, corner workers, etc.
syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:02 PM   #58
2000v6

Drives: 2003 m3, 2000 camaro v6, 2004 s4
Even though I didn't get to go from what I have read, it seems as if an issue hasn't been brought up here.

Someone earlier on, mentioned that some sort of foolishness was going on with the cars, as in some vandals stole some stuff and scratched up some of the cars. To me it seems as if there are people here who are either cops or are in law enforcement, as well as security guards and even people with military experience on here. Why not have two groups of people volunteer per location (hotels, motels, resorts, whatever) who can do surveillance and security and have the groups switch out at 1-2 in the morning. I'm pretty sure that if the volunteers who are in law enforcement and security could walk up to these individuals and call the local pd that they had spotted a group of vandals, then damage to the camaros can be avoided. Heck even invite the off duty officers from the local jurisdiction out to a bar or something and order some rounds, I'm pretty sure they would have likely helped out with security and surveillance.

Another issue seems to be that many people were new to the area and had never been there before. Obviously, neither have I. But the people that live in valdosta or close to valdosta can draw up a map of where the restaurants are, mall is, stores are, car washes are, track is, advanced, strauss, napa are, etc. Basically get a map and overlay it with the info. It's pretty simple and can be done in 10 minutes or less.
2000v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:08 AM   #59
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhra stocker View Post
We needed more organization on the dragstrip. Not even the people running the track nor did Camaro5 people know what was going on , as far as classes to be ran , test and tune or times. As far as the index classes go that must of been decided at the track cause I didnt see it mentioned on here anywhere. It worked out fine having the index classes and not having a stock or bolt on class which would of probably just brought up contriversy over the cars being ran in it. There is definetly room for improvement here!

I thought it was a real bracket race. Showed up with a dail in on the window and was told most people didn't understand a bracket race, I do. Tuff for my 13.80 rental SS to cover 13.38 car.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:36 PM   #60
Camaro Freak

Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT 334HP
Lessons Learned from C5Fest I
If any lesson at all was learned it should be that you got something really special started down there in Valdosta GA. Something that should be cherished and built upon. People that were there this year, will return next year and bring even more Camaro5 enthusiast. It will defintely be bigger next year!! If you move it somewhere else, then you will be starting over from scratch. If the west wants a Camaro fest, thats fine start another one out there in the fall. But I think it will be a big mistake to move it entirely from its birth place in Valdosta. Build on what you started down there and make it a yearly event that will grow each and every year. You can't do that by jumping around all over the country. That my friend dosn't take a rocket scientist to figure out.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:48 PM   #61
cybercoaster

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anv, 1972 RS
Other than a couple things that have already been mentioned, on the cruise I would like to have had us do a U-turn somewhere so we could have gone back against the flow to see everyone.
cybercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #62
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
I definatly understand wanting to move it around, and keep things fresh. My only concern with a West Coast show..or even a Kansas show would be the drive. It took 15+ hours each way to get to Valdosta, which is a long drive with all that inventory and concession trailor. Most of the vendors I saw at the show were east coast or south East based. I can't speak for them, but it would be hard for me to go further than Kansas at the extreme. There may be some west coast vendors who could step in. To me, it has always seemed like a lot of the vendor types are east coast or mid west based. I mean would someone from Michigan or texas still drive to NV or California for a show.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #63
viper1cobra
Member Club Elite #131

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary H50 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
I definatly understand wanting to move it around, and keep things fresh. My only concern with a West Coast show..or even a Kansas show would be the drive. It took 15+ hours each way to get to Valdosta, which is a long drive with all that inventory and concession trailor. Most of the vendors I saw at the show were east coast or south East based. I can't speak for them, but it would be hard for me to go further than Kansas at the extreme. There may be some west coast vendors who could step in. To me, it has always seemed like a lot of the vendor types are east coast or mid west based. I mean would someone from Michigan or texas still drive to NV or California for a show.
I am in Texas, and would much rather drive to Nevada or California than driving to the East Coast again. I have Attended the MTI Funfest and the C5Fest both of wich were on the East Coast. These long drives for the West Coast people are not feasable for most. I am all for a Texas, Nevada, Arizona or California event for the next event.