Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #491
KateVrroom

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS
Thanks Ed,

I am doing the hose saturation thing and that is a great tip. I do have one pack of the blonde towels from Zaino that I am using to remove polish. They do seem small for drying towels but maybe I'll use one of them along with the waffle weave towel. I do wash the towels, rinse twice and hang them to dry. Is it OK to use the blonde towel after Ive used it to polish or should it be new?

Thanks
Kate
KateVrroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:41 AM   #492
2SSARMY
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS/RS
Question about cleaning engine. I took off the cover to mine. Can I just go to the do it yourself car wash and spray the engine compartment down without damaging anything? Never done it before!

Thanks!
2SSARMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #493
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
^ For the engine compartment, as I do not have soft water at the house, I go to a wand (pay and spray). Let engine cool (hood up) while working on wheels and rest of car/truck.

I cover the alternator with a bag or rag...wet things down with soft water rinse(low pressure, stay away from exhaust), spray on cleaner from Adams(cut simple green might work) brush with soft brush (adams). Let is sit awhile. Rinse off with soft water rinse. Dry the major areas you can reach. Soft water prevents spotting.

I wipe major areas with a water base low gloss tire dressing..I use VRT..

I do not recommend high presure water in engine compartment, do not soak the coilover area, alternator etc...cleaninng engine compartment does not need to be done that often...even down here and we have a lot of dust..

Kate, I use the drying towels from Adams, great white, one towel dryed my Sierra CC...did not have a blower...with blower one towel should easily handle a Camaro..I look forward to a Camaro or Chall...cannot tell you the time it takes to detail a Crew Cab...
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:04 AM   #494
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSARMY View Post
Question about cleaning engine. I took off the cover to mine. Can I just go to the do it yourself car wash and spray the engine compartment down without damaging anything? Never done it before!

Thanks!
I prefer the old "cleaning by hand" method to spraying any water into the engine compartment.

IMO, the risk outweighs the result.

It takes more time, but I've maintained the appearance of my engine bay using some spray cleaners/detailers, a few rags, and good old elbow grease, and it looks just about as good as a brand new engine compartment.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:08 AM   #495
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I prefer the old "cleaning by hand" method to spraying any water into the engine compartment.

IMO, the risk outweighs the result.

It takes more time, but I've maintained the appearance of my engine bay using some spray cleaners/detailers, a few rags, and good old elbow grease, and it looks just about as good as a brand new engine compartment.
I'm with you, no way I'm spraying water at my engine.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #496
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Been using my above method for years (like a lot of years),,,no problems...looks like new too..just stay away from high pressure...living on the edge!
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #497
Dep130
Póg mo thóin!

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM
I know that there are probably ohther threads about this but. My dealer waxed my car even though I told them not to. I didn't notice the swirls until the first time that I washed it. How hard will it be to remove the swirls myself?
Dep130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:02 PM   #498
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dep130 View Post
I know that there are probably ohther threads about this but. My dealer waxed my car even though I told them not to. I didn't notice the swirls until the first time that I washed it. How hard will it be to remove the swirls myself?
Don't panic.

You will be able to remove the swirls. There are many products "out there", ie; Zaino, Adams, etc., as well as "over the counter" products such as Mothers or Meguires. Do a little browsing in this section to see the various thoughts/opinions.

Aslo, you'll want to also invest in good quality wash mitts and towels for drying/detailing.

All of the info. you seek is in this forum. Just set aside some time to look and you'll find the answers.

Ed
Old 05-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #499
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Here are some kits that will work for you and won't let you down and help in removing swirls on your ride:

Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut Compound and Meguiar's M205 Ultra Finishing Polish have changed the way that enthusiasts and professional detailers think about random orbital polishes and their ability to do paint correction. The new non-diminishing abrasives used in Meguiar's latest polishes allow the Porter Cable 7424XP to achieve levels of correction once thought to be the domain of professional detailers using rotary polishers, while still offering most of the safety of a random orbital polisher.

ProperAutoCare.com has worked hand in hand with the experts at Meguiar's and Lake Country Manufacturing, along with polishing wizard Kevin Brown, and several of the countries leading professional detailers to create this kit which utilizes Lake Country's 6.5 inch Constant Pressure Flat Pads design to take full advantage of these unique polishes' capabilities. The included Porter Cable 7424XP will accommodate a variety of backing plate sizes for use with different size polishing pads. Use 4-inch Lake Country Constant Pressure Flat pads with the FBP-3.5DA, 3.5 inch Flexible Backing Plate to increase the polishing power of the machine and allow the polisher into tighter areas that larger machines cannot reach.

Meguiar's M105 and M205 polishes deliver a constant polishing action through out the time they are worked. Random orbital style polishers take advantage of this unique property by allowing these polishes to work for a longer time without drying up, ultimately producing better results than commonly thought possible. These super-micro non-diminishing abrasives work better with more pad surface area, which is why we selected Lake Country's Constant Pressure Flat Pads to produce the smoothest polishing action, fastest work results, and best quality of finish.

This kit includes:

1 - Porter Cable 7424XP Polisher

1 - 6" Flexible Hook & Loop Backing Plate

1 - Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut Compound, 32oz

1 - Meguiar's M205 Ultra Finishing Polish, 32oz

2 - Lake Country Flat 6.5" Orange Power Pads

2 - Lake Country Flat 6.5" White Polishing Pads

1 - Lake Country Flat 6.5" Black Finishing Pad

1 - Meguiar's #34 Final Inspection, 16oz

We include two Lake Country Orange Constant Pressure Flat Power Pads to provide enough power to remove serious defects when used with Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut Compound. We also include two Lake Country White Constant Pressure Flat Polishing Pads to provide a moderate level of polishing when used with Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut Compound, or as a great finishing combination when used with Meguiar’s M205 Ultra Finishing Polish. For softer paints, we have included a Lake Country Black Constant Pressure Flat Finishing Pad to increase the gloss on soft paints.

* Meguiar’s M205 Ultra Finishing Polish used with a Lake Country Black Constant Pressure Flat Finishing Pad will remove very light swirl marks and polish the paint to a swirl free, high gloss finish ready for your wax or sealant.

* Meguiar’s M205 Ultra Finishing Polish used with a Lake Country White Constant Pressure Flat Polishing Pad Removes light to moderate defects, compounding marks, and rotary holograms and polishes most paint to a swirl free, high gloss finish ready for your wax or sealant. Some softer paints may require using Meguiar’s M205 Ultra Finishing Polish with a Lake Country Black Constant Pressure Flat Finishing Pad to ensure the highest level of gloss.

* Meguiar’s M105 Ultra Cut Compound used with a Lake Country White Constant Pressure Flat Polishing Pad will remove light to moderate defects. Most paint will require a second polishing step with Meguiar’s M205 Ultra Finishing Polish used with a Lake Country Black Constant Pressure Flat Finishing Pad to ensure the highest level of gloss.

* Meguiar’s M105 Ultra Cut Compound used with a Lake Country Orange Constant Pressure Flat Power Pad will remove moderate to severe defects, bug and water etching, light sanding marks, and blends. This is an aggressive pad and may leave a light hazing on the paint. Removing this haze will require a second polishing step with Meguiar’s M205 Ultra Finishing Polish used with a Lake Country Black Constant Pressure Flat Finishing Pad to ensure the highest level of gloss.

Also check this one out!

This kit includes:

1 - Flex XC3401VRG Dual-Action Polisher

1 - Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut Compound, 32oz

1 - Meguiar's M205 Ultra Finishing Polish, 32oz

2 - Lake Country Flat 6.5" Orange Power Pads

2 - Lake Country Flat 6.5" White Polishing Pads

1 - Lake Country Flat 6.5" Black Finishing Pad

1 - Meguiar's #34 Final Inspection, 16oz

Machine speed has much to do with your confidence level as you learn to use these polishes. We recommend using speed 5 on the PC 7424 and a speed of 3.5-4 on the Flex XC3401VRG Dual-Action Polisher. Overlap your strokes, using a “slow arm speed” while applying firm pressure. We have found success moving the polisher one to three inches per second allows the polish to correct most blemishes.

The amount of “work” or “cut” accomplished with a non-diminishing abrasive is dependent on the pressure applied to the polisher. For maximum cutting action with the Flex XC3401VRG Dual-Action Polisher, apply 15-20 pounds of pressure on the face of the machine. When using the Porter Cable 7424 random orbital polisher, use enough pressure to slow, but not stall the rotation of the pad. On your final passes over the work area, reduce the pressure and lightly move the machine over the surface to allow the abrasives to jewel away any micro marring left from your polishing.

After polishing a section, remove residue immediately with a high quality microfiber cloth such as our Dragon Fiber Perfect Shine Buffing Cloth.

Because Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut Compound and Meguiar's M205 Ultra Finishing Polishes' abrasives do not breakdown in the traditional sense, the polishes can be sensitive to contamination. During the polishing process, a trace amount of paint is removed, this can cause the non-diminishing abrasives to “clump” together with the spent paint particles. This can increase the polishing haze left on the paint from heavy polishing, effecting the finish left behind.

ProperAutoCare.com recommends cleaning your pads often by pressing a cotton terry or microfiber cloth against the pad while it spins on the machine or using a Pad Conditioner Brush to remove the dry polish/compound. To completely wash the pads use Snappy Clean Pad Cleaning Powder.

Hope at least get's you in the right direction, anymore questions your always welcome call me.

Angelo
www.ProperAutoCare.com
800-628-7596
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:13 AM   #500
WhiteCrane

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
Will this eat my clear coat if I use it every week?

It contains a mild polish. I don't wanna eat my clear coat.

REMOVES OXIDATION... That scares me. My car is a 2010 black Mustang GT (PLZ dont Hate, i love camaros and love GM)

I have no oxidation to remove! Is this overkill or will it eat my paint if i use it weekly?
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:23 AM   #501
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
Will this eat my clear coat if I use it every week?

It contains a mild polish. I don't wanna eat my clear coat.

REMOVES OXIDATION... That scares me. My car is a 2010 black Mustang GT (PLZ dont Hate, i love camaros and love GM)

I have no oxidation to remove! Is this overkill or will it eat my paint if i use it weekly?
First, there'll be no hating here...it's Ok if you own "the enenmy"! J/K!

I personally feel using the "cleaner wax" every time is overkill. Use it once every 6 months and you'll be fine. For waxing in between, a good carnuba will work great.

Ed
Old 05-12-2010, 08:34 AM   #502
Dep130
Póg mo thóin!

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM
Thanks Moose !
Dep130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #503
WhiteCrane

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
Thanks moose. I'm gonna return it and try and find the other wax. Been using Turtle Wax Sealant, and it washes off in one rainstorm. Terrible. It doesn't protect the car one bit.
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #504
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Mother's