Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Phastek Performance

Old 10-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #1
Arizona480

Drives: Future Camaro owner
LT1/L83 oil requirement differences

I have been researching some of the GM V8s lately. One thing I find interesting is that the L83 (5.3L truck engine) calls for 0w20. I wonder why the LT1 calls for 5w30 when it seems these engines are fairly similar and both incorporate the same technologies like VVT, AFM, and DI.

"Advanced oiling system: the oiling system incorporates a new variable-displacement oil pump that enables more efficient oil delivery, based the engine’s operating conditions. Its dual-pressure control enables operation at a very efficient oil pressure at lower rpm, and then delivers higher pressure at higher engine speeds to provide a more robust lubrication. Oil capacity has been increased to six quarts for the 4.3L V6 and eight quarts for the V8 engines. All engines use GM’s Dexos oil for increased fuel efficiency and longer oil life, and V8s are engineered to use 0W/20 oil to improve lubrication and reduce friction. All trucks also feature GM’s oil life monitor, which better protects engines by recommending oil changes based on actual engine operating conditions and can save owners’ money by avoiding unnecessary oil changes."

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-en...#ixzz4MWFUroUy

“Thinner” oil is used, too, which helps reduce friction to enhance efficiency. The LT1 6.2L uses 5W30."
Arizona480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:35 PM   #2
BadBillyJack

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
They are similar in design, that's about it. I think what it really comes down to is Farmer Joe doesn't take his truck to the track and rev the piss out of it on an autocross course, and Racer Dave does. Why don't you look up and see the LT1 requires for oil viscosity during track use. I can bet it isn't the 0w20 they are putting in the trucks to meet strict federal regulations on fuel economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20171LE View Post
The fact remains, the Camaro designers have another fail in not transferring the clothes hanger from the ATS to the Camaro.
I, and every other Camaro owner that hangs clothes in their cars, need a solution.
BadBillyJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:58 PM   #3
Arizona480

Drives: Future Camaro owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBillyJack View Post
They are similar in design, that's about it. I think what it really comes down to is Farmer Joe doesn't take his truck to the track and rev the piss out of it on an autocross course, and Racer Dave does. Why don't you look up and see the LT1 requires for oil viscosity during track use. I can bet it isn't the 0w20 they are putting in the trucks to meet strict federal regulations on fuel economy.
I didn't think about the track aspect difference between the two engines. Your probably right.
Arizona480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:04 PM   #4
BigEnos
Planning stages...

Drives: 1995 Z28,2014 Ford Focus ST
5.0L Coyote without the track pack takes 5w-20, track pack cars take 5w-50. Engine is identical, but the supposition is that the owners will run the track pack cars harder I guess. Sounds like GM is doing the same thing.
BigEnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:29 PM   #5
toytruckman

Drives: 2014 Silverado 6.2L; 15 LTZ Tahoe
My L-86 uses 0w20....
toytruckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:15 AM   #6
stook2001

Drives: 99 M3, 04 STi, 16 2SS
The thinner oil is slightly better for fuel consumption. The higher viscosity oil will be less problematic if there is any significant fuel dilution or shearing due to heat.
stook2001 is offline   Reply With Quote