Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-14-2020, 07:52 AM   #1
Sparx21

Drives: Chevy camaro rs
Transmission fluid change

Hello i have a 2013 RS Camaro.....love the car...has 139k miles on it. Question. Do you ever change the transmission fluid? Hearing conflicting info.
Sparx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:13 AM   #2
Black 6.2L SS

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, LS3, NPP
I’m unsure if your RS is a manual or automatic. The GM owners manual says to change manual fluid at 45,000 miles and automatic fluid at 97,500.
I bought fluid from the dealer and changed mine at 50k and am glad I did.
Black 6.2L SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:14 AM   #3
Sparx21

Yes mines a automatic. I will definitely go head and change it
Old 02-14-2020, 08:22 AM   #4
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
You absolutely need to change your transmission fluid. How often you do it is probably debatable, and whether or not to drop the pan and/or change out the filter is probably left for these other more knowledgeable members to answer, but you definitely need to replace your fluid in order to protect your tranny.

You may be getting confused with the notion of changing your fluid after a very long period of not changing it. For example, a high-mileage vehicle that hasn't had a tranny fluid change in a long time (or ever) might actually drive worse after a fluid change.
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:23 AM   #5
Black 6.2L SS

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, LS3, NPP
Look in the back of your owners manual. For your automatic, it also says to “change filter if serviceable.” Make sure you know what you’re doing.
On the main page down lower there is a thread section specially for “vehicle maintenance and fluids.” You will find ALOT of help there.

Welcome to the forum by the way! There are a lot of great owners on here, knowledgeable and TONS of info on our cars. These are fun cars.
Black 6.2L SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:26 AM   #6
Sparx21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderJ View Post
You absolutely need to change your transmission fluid. How often you do it is probably debatable, and whether or not to drop the pan and/or change out the filter is probably left for these other more knowledgeable members to answer, but you definitely need to replace your fluid in order to protect your tranny.

You may be getting confused with the notion of changing your fluid after a very long period of not changing it. For example, a high-mileage vehicle that hasn't had a tranny fluid change in a long time (or ever) might actually drive worse after a fluid change.
Yes see thats what i be hearing. Some shop says im on borrowed time and if i do change the fluid. It will make the car drive bad. So thats why im like so now what. Just go buy another camaro and start over amd do things correctly in that.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:28 AM   #7
Sparx21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black 6.2L SS View Post
Look in the back of your owners manual. For your automatic, it also says to “change filter if serviceable.” Make sure you know what you’re doing.
On the main page down lower there is a thread section specially for “vehicle maintenance and fluids.” You will find ALOT of help there.

Welcome to the forum by the way! There are a lot of great owners on here, knowledgeable and TONS of info on our cars. These are fun cars.
Thanks. I got the car when i was young. So i have no clue what i did with the manual lol. I remember skimming through it years back and chunked it somewhere. Wish i did not do that. I was just impatient to drive the car and i was kinda like screw the book lol. But anyways i will get another manual and check it out. Thanks. And im glad to be apart of the forums ☺
Old 02-14-2020, 08:33 AM   #8
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx21 View Post
Thanks. I got the car when i was young. So i have no clue what i did with the manual lol.

I imagine that just about every recent car model has an online manual to reference. Also, I don't think 130k is an extreme amount of miles to start worrying about the risk of slippage in a transmission fluid change, but I'm no expert.

2013 Camaro OM:
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...aro_owners.pdf
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:39 AM   #9
Sparx21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderJ View Post
I imagine that just about every recent car model has an online manual to reference. Also, I don't think 130k is an extreme amount of miles to start worrying about the risk of slippage in a transmission fluid change, but I'm no expert.

2013 Camaro OM:
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...aro_owners.pdf
Thanks i will check it out now. And i will also let yall know what happens when i change the fluid
Old 02-14-2020, 09:22 AM   #10
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
If you are uncomfortable changing it yourself, contact Anything Automotive Performance in Denton. They will not steer you wrong.

I change my oil every 1500 miles, trans and diff every 5000. But I beat on my car pretty hard.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:10 PM   #11
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Rule of thumb (at least for me) is never let anyone sell you a 'flush.' Just drain, drop pan, replace filter and gasket and fill. Its the flush that can cause issues with high mileage cars. Yours is not...so just change it, drive and be happy.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:40 PM   #12
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
There is a dip stick mod for our cars that’s like $80 and will be doing this myself soon. Makes filling the trans easier.

Found the link

https://jannettyracing.com/collectio...it-6l80e-6l90e

Last edited by Bigdumogre; 02-15-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:14 PM   #13
Whoomba

Drives: 2024Camaro 2SS CE Convertible
The only time I ever did that, I had to rebuild it in 25k miles later (at 75k total)
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:34 PM   #14
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoomba View Post
The only time I ever did that, I had to rebuild it in 25k miles later (at 75k total)
Probably zero percent chance it was due too the fluid change
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote