Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-01-2018, 02:58 PM   #1
richard200593

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary RS
sound processor

I have the stock BA system in my camaro, replaced the amp with a jl xd400 with the fark harness. I have a memphis amp with a 12" fosgate sub that hits hard but sounds separate from the system. was recently told what I needed to install in my camaro was a sound processor to clean up the signal, reinstall the BA amp and run the 2 aftermarket amps off the processor. does this sound correct? 500 installed for a jl fix-82 sound fair if so?
Zl1 factory Reproduction wheels
Bmr 1.2/1.4 springs/Oracle plasma drl lights, footwell ambient lighting, 45th Gobo lights
*Audio:
Memphis pr600 amp/Fosgate 12" t0 sub/******** stealth box
richard200593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:34 PM   #2
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard200593 View Post
I have the stock BA system in my camaro, replaced the amp with a jl xd400 with the fark harness. I have a memphis amp with a 12" fosgate sub that hits hard but sounds separate from the system. was recently told what I needed to install in my camaro was a sound processor to clean up the signal, reinstall the BA amp and run the 2 aftermarket amps off the processor. does this sound correct? 500 installed for a jl fix-82 sound fair if so?
I don't have enough time right now to fully explain all this, but here goes as much as I can:

1 - Stock BA head unit is clean. No need to fix what isn't broken.
2 - Putting the stock amp back in to only fix it's problems with a Fix-82 is basically un-fixing it and then fixing it. Again - stock head is clean.
3 - I would say your issue (Sub-to-mid blend) probably lies in where your XD400/4 and Memphis amps are crossed over. If you have too high of a high pass on your mids, and too low of a low pass on your subs, you'll have a gap in frequency response (which sounds like what you are describing). There is a further issue of speaker response, but I'm not going to get into that.

Are you running all stock speakers (obviously subs are not stock). How are your stock 6x9's wired? Which Memphis amp are you running and which subs do you have? Almost all amps (save for the stupid-high-end) have some sort of crossover ability built in to them. The XD400/4 has a pretty good crossover built in, so adjusting the filters on that one should be pretty easy.

If running stock drivers, you should have your fronts set to high-pass around 80hz or so, and the stock rear 6x9's (the 6x9, not the wide banders in the middle) can most likely be high passed around 50hz (but 80hz to match the fronts would probably blend better). The subs you would probably do a low pass at 60hz. Butterworth filters (am I getting too deep??) which is what JL uses have a little bump at the crossover point that basically smooths out the transition between the mid and sub.

Short version - you'd be much better off with a TWK-88 than a Fix-82. You could then set your filters much easier and have EQ to go with it and tune it, but I'm warning you that is a rabbit hole.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #3
richard200593

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrider01 View Post
I don't have enough time right now to fully explain all this, but here goes as much as I can:

1 - Stock BA head unit is clean. No need to fix what isn't broken.
2 - Putting the stock amp back in to only fix it's problems with a Fix-82 is basically un-fixing it and then fixing it. Again - stock head is clean.
3 - I would say your issue (Sub-to-mid blend) probably lies in where your XD400/4 and Memphis amps are crossed over. If you have too high of a high pass on your mids, and too low of a low pass on your subs, you'll have a gap in frequency response (which sounds like what you are describing). There is a further issue of speaker response, but I'm not going to get into that.

Are you running all stock speakers (obviously subs are not stock). How are your stock 6x9's wired? Which Memphis amp are you running and which subs do you have? Almost all amps (save for the stupid-high-end) have some sort of crossover ability built in to them. The XD400/4 has a pretty good crossover built in, so adjusting the filters on that one should be pretty easy.

If running stock drivers, you should have your fronts set to high-pass around 80hz or so, and the stock rear 6x9's (the 6x9, not the wide banders in the middle) can most likely be high passed around 50hz (but 80hz to match the fronts would probably blend better). The subs you would probably do a low pass at 60hz. Butterworth filters (am I getting too deep??) which is what JL uses have a little bump at the crossover point that basically smooths out the transition between the mid and sub.

Short version - you'd be much better off with a TWK-88 than a Fix-82. You could then set your filters much easier and have EQ to go with it and tune it, but I'm warning you that is a rabbit hole.
Thanks for the assistance, the amp is a memphis pr1X600 all speakers are stock BA. I know absolutely nothing about tuning the amp, it was all done by the shop that installed it. Originally it was just the sub and memphis amp, which still had terrible sound quality, than later replaced the BA amp with a jl and now it sounds like the bass is separated from the highs. The issue I run into is I don't know what I'm doing and am afraid to mess with the amp settings and make things worse, but also don't have a trustworthy shop in the area that I know isn't just trying to make me blow money
Bmr 1.2/1.4 springs/Oracle plasma drl lights, footwell ambient lighting, 45th Gobo lights
*Audio:
Old 06-01-2018, 05:04 PM   #4
richard200593

Forgot to mention sub is a roseate P0 12". Originally I thought I was going to need a cleaner subwoofer amp as i know the memphis is a class d, but 2 shops are both saying processor
*Audio:
Old 06-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #5
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
How clean is the Mylink BA Sound out put
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:33 PM   #6
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard200593 View Post
Forgot to mention sub is a roseate P0 12". Originally I thought I was going to need a cleaner subwoofer amp as i know the memphis is a class d, but 2 shops are both saying processor
The FIX-82 basically takes an EQ'd and time aligned group of signals and combines them into a stereo, flat signal, non-aligned signal. The stock Boston Headunit does not have any time alignment or EQ applied at the head unit - the EQ is applied by the stock amplifier.

If completely flat output is what you're after, you already have that from the stock head unit. You can see for yourself if you look up the old 2010 JBL Camaro build here on the forums.

Where in Cali are you? I could probably get you in touch with a DIY'er from diymobileaudio.com that could get you sorted out by just adjusting your amps.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
Old 06-02-2018, 04:45 PM   #7
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
How clean is the Mylink BA Sound out put
Sadly, I can't really say. I wouldn't expect GM to have changed anything from the amp back, but it's possible that they could have. I guess one way to figure it out would be to look at part numbers on the amps of a 2013 vs a 2010. If the part number is the exact same, it would lead me to believe that the head unit signal is the same (i.e. clean).

The best way to figure it out would be to connect an RTA to it's output and find out. Unfortunately, they are usually more expensive than a head unit.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:10 PM   #8
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
ok, sorry I have a 2010 Camaro With the stock BA System

Head unit went bad, so i went with Stock Mylink Head unit.
rear speakers are going (Rattles) bad ( i have to turn them way down)

I please do'not mean to hi jack thread Just going to have to start planning
Attached Images

PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote