Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-05-2018, 03:47 PM   #1
simon777

Drives: 2015 Camaro LS
ARH Downpipe CEL Prevention

From what I gather, putting ARH HFC downpipes on my 2015 LFX Camaro will trigger a check engine light.

I’ve come across extenders/mini cats as a solution from Big Daddies website that requires installing 2, one for each post cat O2 sensor.

2 straight extenders are $30 total vs the mini cat straight extenders are $100 for 2.

I have no tune and don’t want to waste time with the $30 option if it triggers a check engine light.

Can anyone chime in with what they used and how long they’ve made it without a CEL coming on?

Thanks
simon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:00 PM   #2
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
Before I got my tune, I ran high flow cats with a straight extender and then a 90 degree extender and didn't get codes.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:25 PM   #3
ramil13

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS
what's the point of installing downpipes then? The performance results are minuscule if there is any anyways... I would just save up and install all mods at once. 10-20 horsepower isn't noticeable at all
K&N intake, Custom Tune, Billet Catch Can, K.C's Ported 72mm TB & IM, Jacfab IM Spacer, Primary/Secondary Cat & Muffler Delete, Magnaflow Xpipe, 2.5" Straightpiped, GM Strut Tower Brace, Mace Engineering Cams, Solo Performance J pipes, Magnaflow Resonators x 2

340rwhp Dyno

ramil13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:49 PM   #4
Xell

Drives: 2013 2SS RS Convertible
With the mods I have and no tune, the downpipes made a noticeable difference on the low end, most noticeable from a dead stop.

I purchased mine used from another member and they came with the mini cats, when i first installed them after driving around a bit I would get a weird throttle lag for about a week, but now I have zero issues.
Xell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:14 AM   #5
rozarioorlan

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
I installed my ARH catted downpipes in January 2018 and experienced no issues with them. I did have a CEL come on about a week or so after getting them installed, but since I was already tuned I just had my tuner remove the codes. I believe those 2 for $100 cat simulators are the best option for preventing the light, but not sure as I have no experience. The CEL isn’t bad either but more just annoying. As far as gains of course there was a huge increase in sound, but I actually noticed better throttle response, it would pull a little harder and definitely from a stop you can feel it get up and go quicker.
2013 2LS - K&N CAI, Overkill Ported 80mm Throttle Body, Overkill E85 Kit and Overkill Tune, Jacfab Ported Intake Manifold and Spacer, Stealth 3.0 TC, ARH Catted Downpipes, Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe, Resonator Delete, Jones Full Boar Racing Mufflers, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Seperator
rozarioorlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:00 AM   #6
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
I have a BigDaddy mini-cat on one side and an angled on the other(for fit reasons) on my Solo HF cats . No CELs with either one.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:24 PM   #7
simon777

Drives: 2015 Camaro LS
Thank you all for the responses, definitely helped me make a decision.

I decided to play it safe and just get 2 mini cats. I'll be getting it tuned at some point in the future, but for now hopefully they'll work to hold me over until then. Figured I could just sell them whenever I get a tune.
simon777 is offline   Reply With Quote