Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-21-2017, 04:44 PM   #15
Foxfire15

Drives: 2015 2LT/RS BVM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
The pressure plate fails. with enough use the springs loose their spring.

But no sense to replace only the pressure plate as the rest of the parts aren't far behind.
Be sure the estimate includes the throw out bearing and fork. May as well get all the bits for the labor cost.

You don't have to actually power shift, rev-matching works. Probably what your dad really did.

when you need to stop slip it into neutral. turn the key off after stopping (so you have brakes and steering until you stop). When it's time to go, have it in 2nd and hit the starter. And away you go. A bit of careful upshifting without a clutch can get you up to highway speeds.

Anyway, sometimes those small towns can fix it quick enough and get you on the way for a lower cost than bringing it home. And they have the best breakfasts!
Probably. He only had to stop once on the way home. I was 17 at the time, and the car was his hand-me-down to me. He called it power shifting (not very hard in an 89 Beretta tbh. I pretty much had it down by the time I got rid of it)

Picacho isn't a "small town", it's a s*** hole with 1 gas station, maybe a hotel and a ton of abandoned property. As of 2010, there's only ~500 people living there. The place is literally falling apart.
Foxfire15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:15 PM   #16
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzzed View Post
Yeah, if you're going to drop the trans, then get it all done. Clutch, slave. I'd even consider a new rear main seal. The car is 7 years old.
Don't want to mess with the rear main. That would require dropping the oil pan. Just leave it alone.

Tags
clutch, issue, manual, shifting, transmission