Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-29-2016, 10:49 AM   #43
gnturboray

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS LS3 LPE750
Mine will occasionally do this
gnturboray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:48 AM   #44
mcapple

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT
I have it on video

https://youtu.be/7Irph3-DxLM
mcapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:12 AM   #45
blakjak55
drinks virgil's

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
Best way I've ever found for mine to knock it off is to turn the key to start and wait 5 seconds or so for the fuel pump to pressurize the system, then start the engine.

Battery change didn't affect mine and I haven't pulled plugs to look or change them.

It always starts but it doesn't roar to life like it does when it's cold. Waiting for the fuel pump 99% of the time I don't have the problem.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:42 PM   #46
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I'm still getting these issues even after replacing the starter. I think it's a heat soak issue with the starter and potentially fuel lines. I'm going to try and use some heat reflective tape on the starter heat shield and see if that helps. Next step beyond that would be try and reroute the wire to the starter in a different spot. Mine currently runs along the motor which cannot be good for the wire itself.

Little Update:

So today I got under the car and removed the starter heat shield and the starter itself. When I pulled the starter out first thing I noticed was this:

Can't really tell here in the pictures but it was pretty nasty, not exactly producing a great contact point so I sanded it down lightly to remove the corrosion/nastiness and then when I reconnected it to the starter I put a little petroleum jelly on there to help delay it getting nasty again. We'll see how that end up working out for me. Next I sufficiently wrapped the wires that lead to the starter with some heat reflective tape (withstands direct heat of 400 degrees F and radiant heat of 2,000 degrees F) by Design Engineering, I believe it is called Cool Tape and I got it at Advanced Auto. Here's the result:

Starter wire:

Other wires(signal wire is the connector hanging):

Starter power wire has about a foot or more of tape covering it now along with the purple signal wire having a decent amount covering it as well. Then I went a bit overboard on the heat shield and even put some on the side of the starter that faces the engine block:

The verdict is that it seems to have helped, but I think it's mostly down to the corrosion that was on the ring terminal no longer being there. When I went to test it out everything had cooled all the way down and it fired up much quicker than normal on a cool or cold start. I drove around until it was fully up to temperature and came to a stop and shut it down and waited for about a minute and started it up again and it definitely started better. Time will tell if it actually will work but right now I think it was mostly a bad connection. The heat reflective tape may help more once it gets warmer out but I'll update it once that happens. For now anyone that is having these bad/hard start issues I would check the starter connection first and clean that up for a fairly easy and no cost fix.

Another thing I noticed is the charging system was reading higher than normal as well based on the 4 pack gauges but who knows how accurate that really is, but it was definitely closer to the line between the 12 and 19 which I think is 15.5V (rough estimate).

Hope this helps someone! Let me know if anyone has any questions.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53

Last edited by xc_SS/RS; 04-03-2016 at 08:00 PM.
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:55 PM   #47
mcapple

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT
Problem solved? How's your car after the fix?

It happened to me again. Tried to jump start with another running car. No luck. My gut tells me it's the corrosion problem

Wait for 1 hr. It starts again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
I'm still getting these issues even after replacing the starter. I think it's a heat soak issue with the starter and potentially fuel lines. I'm going to try and use some heat reflective tape on the starter heat shield and see if that helps. Next step beyond that would be try and reroute the wire to the starter in a different spot. Mine currently runs along the motor which cannot be good for the wire itself.

Little Update:

So today I got under the car and removed the starter heat shield and the starter itself. When I pulled the starter out first thing I noticed was this:

Can't really tell here in the pictures but it was pretty nasty, not exactly producing a great contact point so I sanded it down lightly to remove the corrosion/nastiness and then when I reconnected it to the starter I put a little petroleum jelly on there to help delay it getting nasty again. We'll see how that end up working out for me. Next I sufficiently wrapped the wires that lead to the starter with some heat reflective tape (withstands direct heat of 400 degrees F and radiant heat of 2,000 degrees F) by Design Engineering, I believe it is called Cool Tape and I got it at Advanced Auto. Here's the result:

Starter wire:

Other wires(signal wire is the connector hanging):

Starter power wire has about a foot or more of tape covering it now along with the purple signal wire having a decent amount covering it as well. Then I went a bit overboard on the heat shield and even put some on the side of the starter that faces the engine block:

The verdict is that it seems to have helped, but I think it's mostly down to the corrosion that was on the ring terminal no longer being there. When I went to test it out everything had cooled all the way down and it fired up much quicker than normal on a cool or cold start. I drove around until it was fully up to temperature and came to a stop and shut it down and waited for about a minute and started it up again and it definitely started better. Time will tell if it actually will work but right now I think it was mostly a bad connection. The heat reflective tape may help more once it gets warmer out but I'll update it once that happens. For now anyone that is having these bad/hard start issues I would check the starter connection first and clean that up for a fairly easy and no cost fix.

Another thing I noticed is the charging system was reading higher than normal as well based on the 4 pack gauges but who knows how accurate that really is, but it was definitely closer to the line between the 12 and 19 which I think is 15.5V (rough estimate).

Hope this helps someone! Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Last edited by mcapple; 06-12-2016 at 08:10 PM.
mcapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:56 AM   #48
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
interesting about that power wire. I know on another thread (post #31 HERE) they also found that the cables/wires were an issue, albeit accomplished their goal in a different fashion.
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:31 AM   #49
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcapple View Post
Problem solved? How's your car after the fix?

It happened to me again. Tried to jump start with another running car. No luck. My gut tells me it's the corrosion problem

Wait for 1 hr. It starts again.
I don't think I mentioned it in my post there but I also found that my ground wire from the engine block to the car body on the passenger side of the block was not on the block itself. Took the wire off and sanded the ring terminals down to have them be shiny again, placed the wires correctly (actually on the block this time) and the only hard start I've had was after deciding to move my car to a different parking spot in a parking garage after driving it for about 45 minutes in 95+ degree heat. That start wasn't even bad either. Check all grounds on the block. My ground was messed up from the catch can install I think. I would imagine the tape has helped a little bit but who knows for sure.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
Old 06-14-2016, 09:45 AM   #50
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Water in the gas? I've seen this phenomenon, just not in my Camaro.

Take a look at the fuel filter for signs of water.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:08 AM   #51
DroppedSsTurbo

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss w/ Rs
I'm having the same exact issue, been chasing it for a year now, three different crank sensors, new battery , cleaned contacts , still have the problem. Just bought a starter blanket, 0 guage wire, and a new starter, hoping to get them installed this week at some point when the weather cools down (STL temps 95-100*). I will update as I go a long. Going to try the heat blanket first, then the wire, then the starter. Any other suggestions?
DroppedSsTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:35 AM   #52
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroppedSsTurbo View Post
I'm having the same exact issue, been chasing it for a year now, three different crank sensors, new battery , cleaned contacts , still have the problem. Just bought a starter blanket, 0 guage wire, and a new starter, hoping to get them installed this week at some point when the weather cools down (STL temps 95-100*). I will update as I go a long. Going to try the heat blanket first, then the wire, then the starter. Any other suggestions?
Check any and all grounds on the motor, my issue was a ground wire that wasn't seated properly to the block (sandwiched between two nuts). Pulled the wire off and it was pretty nasty looking.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:46 PM   #53
kaseyb85
Keep Calm & Chive On

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS/RS CGM
Exclamation AFTER 2 YEARS ITS FIXED

Ive been fighting this for TWO LONG YEARS!! Finally got it fixed. Had something to do with the positive jump post under the hood. Found a thread that some fixed theirs and did it to mine. and yes ive replaced the starter(twice), replaced the battery(x3), wrapped the passenger header near the starter(thinking it was heat soak), and cleaned all the grounds. This was so simple and cheap. Good luck!

ORIGINAL THREAD FOR FIX:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ranking&page=3

I know it's not pretty but did it this morning before work. Gonna clean it up tomorrow.
Name:  13866931_1020613378051222_95972244_n.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  56.7 KB