Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-05-2020, 12:50 PM   #1
War_Eagle
2010 RS

Drives: 2010 v6
Coolant temperature 228°F...

While I was driving home last night I noticed my temp gauge go up to the middle for the first time ever (it usually stays well below) and then briefly went to the high side and then back down the the middle. So I turned it off and topped off the coolant this morning and now I am sitting at 228°F constantly. I feel like this isn’t normal. What should I do first?
War_Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:59 PM   #2
Rons1le

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE AGM
Replace the thermostat

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
2015 2SS RS 1LE NPP/w Kooks headers, Procharged, ID1050X injectors, Katech belt tensioner, Mighty Mouse Catch Can, BMR subframe connectors, Matco driveshaft loop, AEM Wideband/Boost/Fuel gauges , Z/28 Splitter and Spoiler/w Wicker bill, Power Stop rotors and brake pads, MRR Z/28 Rep Wheels 20" w/p zeros 285 fronts and 305 rears, ZL1 addons Rock guards and Tow hook, Rear window louvers, Flags on the quarter windows and the moonroof, Billet aluminum door handles.
Rons1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:35 PM   #3
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Did you top off coolant in radiator or reservoir?
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:01 PM   #4
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
How many miles on vehicle? Coolant ever been changed? Check fan function with a/c off and a/c on. With temps that warm they should both be running. By allowing coolant level to get low you may have some air trapped in the system. Topping off reservoir and driving a bit should burp out the air. Depending on age/mileage it may be a good idea to douche the cooling system and replace the stat (as previously mentioned).
Old 09-05-2020, 08:58 PM   #5
War_Eagle
2010 RS

Drives: 2010 v6
I topped it off in the reservoir
War_Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:59 PM   #6
Warship2k15

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Eagle View Post
Ok after letting the car cool for a while top it off in the radiator!
Warship2k15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:44 PM   #7
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Best way to check:
With the coolant at air temperature, open the RADIATOR cap and then look at the actual level of your coolant. After fluid loss the surge/overflow tank only shows what is in that surge tank, not how high the level is in the cooling system/radiator. Big mistake that is often made.
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:46 PM   #8
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Cap is not on the Radiator it is on the Engine, and you have to do a purge on the engine to get max coolant back in the engine.

The 2010 V6 Engine is Different, NO Radiator Cap on The Radiator.

But as they are saying You may have a bad thermostat, Which again is Different than the V8's. The Thermostat housing is in the Back of the engine.
Attached Images

PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:50 PM   #9
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Eagle View Post
Thats about all you can do Without having the System Purged

Getting the most air out of the System

Never let these engines run out of Coolant in the reservoir they start sucking air
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:14 AM   #10
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
The coolant fill procedure is in the Owners Manual. Filling the recovery tank is the LAST step.

For the V6, you first have to access the fill cap that is under the engine cover. With the engine cooled down, open this cap and inspect the level. If it's low, add coolant. Now, with the cap still off, start the engine. As it warms up, coolant will begin to circulate and air will escape. Keep topping off with coolant while the engine continues to run. Once the coolant level stabilizes, replace the cap. Go for a short drive, cool the engine off, and repeat everything above. This will purge all the air.

Now the LAST STEP: adjust the level in the recovery tank.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:48 PM   #11
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
if coolant was low then you have a coolant leak, get it pressure checked.
verify fans work, fix whatever is leaking, and then flush the cooling system and make sure to get any air out. if it wasn't low to begin with you'll probably need a thermostat assuming the fans work
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote