Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #15
BigMikeZL1
Sinister

Drives: 2012 ZL1 /Chevy tahoe 07
same thing happen to me here in TX 106 today and it takes 3 mins before it starts cooling off .. so should i take it in?
BigMikeZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #16
FNBADAZ06

Drives: C6 Z06 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMikeZL1 View Post
same thing happen to me here in TX 106 today and it takes 3 mins before it starts cooling off .. so should i take it in?
Personally ? I'd take it by any shop that does A/C checks for free and see if it's overfilled.
FNBADAZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #17
jaggedx

Drives: Lots of stuff plus a 2012 Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06 View Post
I'm willing to bet you a beer on it.....then I can check out your ride when I collect on it
happy to buy you a beer but you Vette guys don't hang with us Ghetto Camaro guys do you?
jaggedx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #18
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Took mine to the dealership last week for the same issue and apparently GM is working on a fix now. It's only for a select batch of ZL1's from what I was told and it is a software issue with the AC. GM is supposedly working on an update that can be downloaded from the dealership. It has to do with the car not recycling the air from inside the cabin but rather constantly pulling in hot air from outside. Mine has done it twice since I had the car.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #19
FNBADAZ06

Drives: C6 Z06 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggedx View Post
happy to buy you a beer but you Vette guys don't hang with us Ghetto Camaro guys do you?
Most certainly we do.........well, at least the cool ones

Car junky's are car junky's......no matter the name plate or model
FNBADAZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #20
Tally Ho

Drives: 2006 Corvette conv/2007 Avalanche
Quote:
Most certainly we do.........well, at least the cool ones

Car junky's are car junky's......no matter the name plate or model
Old 06-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #21
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
my silverado does it but i have a bigger engine then stock.....
Old 06-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #22
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
I live in Jersey, weather extremes we get there. It's been on the cooler side for the most part, cloudy, rainy, hugh humidity, with hear spikes up into the 90's. The ZL1 runs hot, does not matter what the weather is. Heat outside the car only compounds the issue. Put the vent on, on a cool day, and the passenger compartment gets warm<from the S/C and heat buildup in the engine compartment> On hotter days put the window down. On real hot days...grin and bear it, or window up with A/C. AZ is crazy hot. The A/C system takes awhile to recirculate. The buildup heat in the engine compartment must dissapate with fresh air cooling moving through the condensor. It takes more time the hotter the environment. So, it's a multiplaction of heat, the ZL1 engine compartment due to the S/C, plus ambient outside air temperature. It's gonna take time to cool the Beast down.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #23
RoketRdr

Drives: 2010 Duramax; 2012 CTS-V Coupe
Keep in mind that your condenser is sandwiched between the heat exchanger and radiator. So if you were at normal operating temp and turned the car off on a hot day you now have a hot radiator and hot heat exchanger pouring heat into the cooler condenser. Heat equals pressure so when you turn the car off the condenser starts heating up quickly and building pressure in the A/C lines. The pressure switch in the A/C system see's the high pressure so it wont turn the compressor on until it falls to a safe level. Once you start driving and moving air across the stack, or the fans run for a few minutes, it cools the condenser down and drops the pressure to a safe level and allows the compressor to kick back on. All the more reason to install some puller fans behind the HEX.

And jaggedx is right about the Duramax. The A/C system on my last two trucks have been the most awesome A/C's I've ever owned in a vehicle. They WILL freeze you out of the truck. (pun intended)
RoketRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #24
nuptualnemesis
NuptualNemesis

Drives: Silver 1SS M6 - 480hp 11.57/120.79
Try a water wetter. O'Rielly has an off brand that is green that works great. Make sure the rubber strip under the front bumper is intact. This creates a low pressure area. Lowered cars scrap them off.
nuptualnemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #25
itsadryheat79

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE (2)79Z28 72RS 67SS 69Z
Send a message via Yahoo to itsadryheat79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggedx View Post
it has happened a couple times now. After driving my car I have stopped and parked for a few minutes and when I re start the car the A/C blows warm. It is still on and in the same setting as when I parked. After getting back on the road it suddenly turns cold again, instantly. This is not normal for GM A/C I have owned nothing but chevys for a long time.

I hate dealers like no other. I would rather stab myself in the face with a fork than to deal with a service writer, But AC is a must for me here in the desert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
Took mine to the dealership last week for the same issue and apparently GM is working on a fix now. It's only for a select batch of ZL1's from what I was told and it is a software issue with the AC. GM is supposedly working on an update that can be downloaded from the dealership. It has to do with the car not recycling the air from inside the cabin but rather constantly pulling in hot air from outside. Mine has done it twice since I had the car.
Quote:
As an FYI.......for Corvette's, it was found that the A/C systems were overfilled with refrigerant at the factory. When the internal line pressures reached critical during use in the summer heat (I'm in Phoenix as well), the pressure switch will disengage the compressor.
Have a technician check for an overfilled refrigerant status in the A/C system.

Steve at Loud Pedal in Tempe could probably check this for you
I've had an AC problem a couple of times in my ZL1. I know the guys at Loud Pedal pretty well and am confident they can diagnose this.
Initially turning on a hot car I can understand the AC not working right away. My problem was sometimes as I was driving it just stopped working. I almost thought this was a breakin thing cuz it was really obvious before my breakin period ended. This is very different than the problems in the 5thGen LS3 or L99 which both had early AC problems as well.

I do not want to take it in to my dealer please keep us informed! ......
Old 06-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #26
RoketRdr

Drives: 2010 Duramax; 2012 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuptualnemesis View Post
Try a water wetter.
What he said. Water Wetter is an excellent product that works well especially for those that live in hot climates. Old school drag racers used this stuff religiously. For those of you who live in the South its a great $15 investment and you don't have to tear into your cooling system. Just pour a bottle into your radiator or expansion tank with the existing coolant and within minutes its working. And yes...mix it with your intercooler coolant as well. You can pick up the original Water Wetter at most of your major auto parts stores.
RoketRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #27
jaggedx

Drives: Lots of stuff plus a 2012 Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
That is good to hear ( so to speak) GM may actually be able to figure it out. What i hate about dealers is the old "customer states" way of service writting. It just makes you feel like they think you are stupid.

There is definaately something going on with the AC programing. I have lived in Arizona for over 40 years and I can tell the difference between a car that is just hot from sitting in the sun and an A/C system that is malfunctioning.

Thanks again for all the input here. We may just solve this one!
jaggedx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:11 AM   #28
Godsplumber

Drives: 2012 ZL1,Victory Red
I'm in Az too and experiencing the same exact problems you describe with the a/c in my ZL1. After reading what you said here I completely agree that it is malfunctioning. It definitely has an issue. I would also like to know what it is without going to the dealer. Please keep me updated also, and thanks for the posts.