Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-17-2019, 10:25 AM   #1
cookiecdcmk

Drives: 2017 Camaro
2017 Camaro A/C High/Low Ports

My son in law just purchase a used 2017 Camaro and the A/C blows warm. I have a set of guages and tried to connect the High and Low side ports, but they are too large for my guage set. I have never seen this before, as the port sizes are usually standard through out the industry. My only thought is that GM used different size ports, and there has to be some type of adapter to use? Does anyone know anything about this issue?
cookiecdcmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:25 PM   #2
canadian ss
Psycho on day pass

Drives: 2010 yellow 1ss m6 -GM tech
It should still under warranty.

Find out if it is and dont tamper with the AC till you find out if its covered or not.
canadian ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:37 PM   #3
cookiecdcmk

I think that some Camaros were built with different size high and low ports, and GM had to provide special tool adapters through Kent Moore? I would like to buy such adapters if I can find them. I have looked all over the internet and cannot find them. Does anyone have knowledge about this?
Old 10-18-2019, 03:58 PM   #4
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Its because the new standard is r1234yf. Not compatible with R134a. The ports are different size for this reason, and prevent people from unintentionally mixing refrigerants. It's supposed to be that way. Even R12 fittings do not fit R134 ports, or r1234yf ports for that matter.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:20 PM   #5
cookiecdcmk

A/C Ports

I do not want to argue this issue because I still want to get to the bottom of it. However, the sticker on the firewall shows R134a, not the other stuff. I was aware of this different freon but the vehicle is not supposed to have it unless the car has the wrong label. I appreciate any input and do not want to sound defensive.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:09 PM   #6
G8One2

Either way, there are different sized charge ports for different types of refrigerant. I'm not saying you do or don't have r134, only that there are different yf connectors now.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:21 AM   #7
cookiecdcmk

A/C Ports

After some thinking and research with your help, I think that the Camaro was built with the larger R1234yf ports but has R134a in the system. It looks like both are compatible. But the R1234yf sucks due to high price and being flamable, plus you need adapters to test the system and if you recharge. I did find the adapters on Amazon for about $25, but that is just another cost for the do it yourself guys.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:48 AM   #8
G8One2

If it has the yf ports, it "should" have yf in it. If the system gets contaminated with mixed refrigerants, i have no idea what would happen. It could however, be very costly if the system needs flushed, or components need replaced because of it. If this car was purchased brand new, i would bet it has yf. If it was purchased used, its possible someone put r134a during some sort of repair. Sucks because if someone did put the wrong stuff in, it leaves you with many questions about how to proceed with whatever it is your doing.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:33 AM   #9
cookiecdcmk

I found out that new recovery system equipment is also required for this new freon. GM dealers were sent new equipment, and printouts are needed when they recover this freon. As mentioned before, this freon is very very expensive. Looks like the do it yourself guys are in trouble. It sure seems like they could have found a less expensive route and still be greenhouse friendly.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:33 AM   #10
cookiecdcmk

I can see all kinds of potential problems for owners with this new freon including using the wrong oil which would cause future problems with the system. Most GM replacement compressors have oil already added to them and I am sure the parts warehouse does not know what type of freon is being used. The techs would simply replace the compressor and it would have the wrong oil. Some techs would not even know about what oil to use. This new freon will certainly have a learning curve.

DENSO uses ND-oil 8 for its R134a type refrigerant compressors, a PAG 46 oil. The new refrigerant type uses ND-oil 12, also a PAG 46 oil but with additives specifically for the R1234yf type refrigerant.

The oil used for HFC-134a (R134a) systems (ND-OIL 8) does not work well in HFO-1234yf (R1234yf) systems. If the oil used for HFC-134a (R134a) systems (ND-OIL 8) is used in an HFO-1234yf (R1234yf) system, it will result in degradation of the refrigerant and deterioration of resin parts.