Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-25-2019, 04:12 AM   #1
Starfall
1bad6

Drives: 2010 camaro
2010 camaro rs rims?

Hey guys, so for a long time my 2010 v6 rs’s rims have been chipping,bubbling and all types of stuff and it looks to be black powder coating, they aren’t glossy, they’re just dual and look terrible. I am planning on re painting them correctly (with black glossy spray paint.) however i can’t seem to find any details on the rims, is it just normal powder coating or is it this pve chrome bullshit as well as powder coating, i’ve been able to chip quite a bit of it off with a chisel (mildy damaging the rim while doing it) so i’m going to ve sanding them, right now i’m trying to use this qwik strip paint thinner stuff, while it seemed to take off the top layer, there is still a even dualer black underneath it. I’ve heard about airplain stuff but i’m not trying to die or have something burn through my hands, any help will be greatly appreciated on how to get this bullshit off.

Pic of my car:

This picture is of the “good side” of the rims, the other side has blatant squares of the powder coating or whatever it is coming off.

Here is the bad side, i have gotten a decent amount off since i took this pic

Old 06-25-2019, 05:27 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Starfall, if your wheels are stock, they were just painted, not Power Coated. and if you are going to paint them with a spray can, once again, they will just be painted and truly, won't hold up.....if you want to have great looking black wheels, you heed to take they to a professional powder coater.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:41 AM   #3
Starfall
1bad6

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Starfall, if your wheels are stock, they were just painted, not Power Coated. and if you are going to paint them with a spray can, once again, they will just be painted and truly, won't hold up.....if you want to have great looking black wheels, you heed to take they to a professional powder coater.

The RS rims aren’t powder coated?
Old 06-25-2019, 06:50 AM   #4
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
A chisel....
Old 06-25-2019, 07:10 AM   #5
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I'm pretty sure your rims were painted or powder coated after-market, so who knows what's on them.

I would be inclined to take them to a professional wheel re-finisher. They will blast the stuff off and fix the damage you may have done trying to scrape them. The tires should be removed so they can put a good polish on the bead interface so it will hold air.

Also, I don't know what sort of paint stripper you are using, but if it's caustic it's probably not good for aluminum rims.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:45 PM   #6
PepeLePew

Drives: 2010 2SS Coupe; 2011 2LT Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
I'm pretty sure your rims were painted or powder coated after-market, so who knows what's on them.

I would be inclined to take them to a professional wheel re-finisher. They will blast the stuff off and fix the damage you may have done trying to scrape them. The tires should be removed so they can put a good polish on the bead interface so it will hold air.

Also, I don't know what sort of paint stripper you are using, but if it's caustic it's probably not good for aluminum rims.
I agree with Rock-it Man, take it to a wheel refinisher to get them powdercoated correctly. There is a guy in my area that does it for $125 per wheel and he blasts them and corrects any damage done to the wheel. When it is all said and done they look brand new and are very durable (unless you hit a curb)
Old 06-25-2019, 09:28 PM   #7
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
I painted mine 2 yrs ago with ye ol rattle can and they have held up nicely. All in the prep.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote