Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-08-2019, 12:40 PM   #1
pjm333

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
Lift pads for Convertible ?

Looking to purchase the Lift pads for my 2013 ZL1 Convertible, the web page says

"NOTE!! Convertible 5th gen requires the front cut out in rocker to be enlarged."

Before I get them can anyone with a ZL1 convertible explain the procedure or have pictures of them installed ? Thanks !

https://zl1addons.com/collections/ca...0-15-lift-pads
pjm333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:56 PM   #2
Razorbak

Drives: 2013 ZL1
This is the only page I found when searching for lift pads + convertible. I got mine today and they don’t fit because of a cross brace that intersects with the pinch weld rocker cutout that won’t let the lift pads seat...anyone had luck doing lift pads on a convertible? By enlarging the rocker, do they mean moving the location forward or backward to allow the pad to fit? Thanks!
Razorbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 01:16 AM   #3
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
First off, they have 'Lift Pads' as well as 'Jack Pads'.
The lift pads that you provided a link to are designed/meant to be affixed to the pinch welds with set screws and left there. They are a set of 4. These are usually for people that need to lift their cars often such as changing tires/wheels for track days.

The also sell 'Jack Pads' that are typically sold for using with a floor jack and are NOT attached to the pinch weld with a set screw. These are typically for the person that needs to jack the car up once in a while to change a wheel/tire.

I have no idea about using the Lift Pads on a convertible.

I do know that if you buy a Jack Pad, you need to specify that it'll be used on a convertible. The reason is that the convertible has an additional chassis brace that connects right at/near the pinch weld jacking position.
The convertible version of the Jack Pad has one side machined a bit lower. The lower side goes toward the center of the car and should clear the chassis brace.

I'm not aware of any need to enlarge the pinch weld slot. I have used the Jack Pads every once in a while for many years without enlarging the slot.

Jack Pads
https://zl1addons.com/collections/ca...10-15-jack-pad

Last edited by HDRDTD; 09-08-2020 at 01:28 AM.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 01:27 AM   #4
HDRDTD

Here is a photo of a Jack Pad for a convertible showing one side is machined lower to clear the chassis brace.
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2020, 05:52 AM   #5
Limelight

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 coupe
Stupid question - but does the 2013 ZL1 coupe not come from the factory with a Jack? I couldn’t find one in the trunk or anywhere in my car when I got it. I’d like to be able to remove my wheels to clean them properly.

Assuming they don’t come with one (maybe a weight restriction thing??) - can anyone recommend a good one to work with the jack pad mentioned above? And is the jack pad needed for a specific reason or simply to reduce strain on the chassis while lifting the car? I’ve never seen them before reading this thread. Many thanks.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:51 AM   #6
HDRDTD

From the manual.....

This vehicle may come with a jack
and spare tire or a tire sealant and
compressor kit. To use the jacking
equipment to change a spare tire
safely, follow the instructions below.
Then see Tire Changing on
page 10‑79

ZL1's do not come with a spare tire, so we only get the tire sealant and compressor.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:03 AM   #7
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limelight View Post
Stupid question - but does the 2013 ZL1 coupe not come from the factory with a Jack? I couldn’t find one in the trunk or anywhere in my car when I got it. I’d like to be able to remove my wheels to clean them properly.

Assuming they don’t come with one (maybe a weight restriction thing??) - can anyone recommend a good one to work with the jack pad mentioned above? And is the jack pad needed for a specific reason or simply to reduce strain on the chassis while lifting the car? I’ve never seen them before reading this thread. Many thanks.
Check out Modernspare.com. I bought an entire spare tire assy with a jack, spacer, tools and hardware for my Z/28 for around $400. Along with a tow hook these are MUST HAVE items if you drive on public roadways.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:03 PM   #8
Razorbak

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
First off, they have 'Lift Pads' as well as 'Jack Pads'.
The lift pads that you provided a link to are designed/meant to be affixed to the pinch welds with set screws and left there. They are a set of 4. These are usually for people that need to lift their cars often such as changing tires/wheels for track days.

The also sell 'Jack Pads' that are typically sold for using with a floor jack and are NOT attached to the pinch weld with a set screw. These are typically for the person that needs to jack the car up once in a while to change a wheel/tire.

I have no idea about using the Lift Pads on a convertible.

I do know that if you buy a Jack Pad, you need to specify that it'll be used on a convertible. The reason is that the convertible has an additional chassis brace that connects right at/near the pinch weld jacking position.
The convertible version of the Jack Pad has one side machined a bit lower. The lower side goes toward the center of the car and should clear the chassis brace.

I'm not aware of any need to enlarge the pinch weld slot. I have used the Jack Pads every once in a while for many years without enlarging the slot.

Jack Pads
https://zl1addons.com/collections/ca...10-15-jack-pad
Thanks, this is great information. I don’t see the lift pads offering the same for convertible, but on the jack pad it’s an option so I’ll go that route I guess. Really wanted to just install the lift pads so they’d be there so some shop doesn’t mess up my pinch welds, but I guess I’ll go the jack pad route. Thanks again!
Razorbak is offline   Reply With Quote