Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-10-2015, 11:36 PM   #15
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
No need for anyone to do anything. Just trash the reminders. its a voluntary recall.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:16 AM   #16
The Blue Angel

Drives: 2014 BRM 1SS/RS
I have not done the recall yet. But I was informed that if I sell or trade my Camaro. I will have to get the recall done.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:05 AM   #17
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
I sold one of ours two days ago with out it done. The dealer has to if you trade it in. It's not on you.
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:05 AM   #18
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
I opt'd out of the recall and have been getting calls about it ever since. I lost count on how many times I've told them that I opt'd out of it. Thinking about ordering another key so my dealer can do the recall on it, sign off the dang thing and I keep my old keys like they are.
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:26 AM   #19
Backspin9

Drives: The red one
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven View Post
This is hilarious.... Yep the key was taken out cause people have hit key fob with leg while driving. And yes it looks stupid using existing key fob that is obviously the key blade is no longer there and big open area on side of fob. I ordered my car from factory and still got same solution. Gosh couldn't they give something nicer.
When I got my car in February I kind of expected to get the switchblade key until they told me "they don't do that anymore". Hmm. Having a separate key and an empty fob is kind of cheesy if you ask me. If they're going to do that, at least make it look halfway decent, or have a key & fob combination or something.

I haven't tried the dremel thing yet but I might do it one of these days.
Backspin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:56 AM   #20
FilibustaRhymes

Drives: SS
I opted out. I do think it's pretty pathetic that breaking the key fob is still the solution to this problem, even for newly-purchased cars.
FilibustaRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:01 AM   #21
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
When I handed the dealer my cash for the car and drove off the lot, the car and the keys became mine. They cannot make you do anything with things that you own.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:07 AM   #22
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSport2011 View Post
I don't understand why you guys are so confused.He took his key in for the recall and all they did was seperate the key from the fob. OP didn't see the point to it so he went back home and reinstalled the key into the fob by using a dtemel.
That's what I was thinking..i thought I understood what he did.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:23 AM   #23
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Does anyone have any idea how STUPID the "key recall" FOB fix will look to someone walking into a dealership prepared to buy a Camaro who doesn't have a clue about it? That "fix" with the empty FOB is going to look like some half-assed hack job. Even with an explanation it wouldn't look confidence-inspiring.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:19 AM   #24
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
My dealer just handed me the 2 new keys and sent me on my way. I took them home and threw them in a drawer. The next owner can remove the switchblade from the fobs if they want. No more postcards and it looks like I had the recall done.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:58 AM   #25
Keachj06

Drives: 15 SS,13 Duc Panigale
I don't understand how someones knee hits the fob while driving I am 6'1, the only way you can literally hit that key while in the ignition with the switchblade is if you drive like your giving birth to a beautifully wrapped SS steering wheel, instead my knee hits the transponder because its dangling and I have moved the seat all the way down and back, also if I raise the steering wheel up now it blocks my view of the tach and speedo, I want the switchblade key but I bought a 2015. If you do the OP's idea of grinding out the old key (sword in the stone method) I shall deem this procedure, will it work or will I destroy the PATS system that could possibly be embedded in the holding receptacle for the key? or is the pats system embedded in the actual transponder for the 2015 models?
Keachj06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #26
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Angel View Post
I have not done the recall yet. But I was informed that if I sell or trade my Camaro. I will have to get the recall done.
Who ever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about. You dont have to do a thing to sell it. Even if it was a mandatory recall you wouldn't have to get it done to sell it. When you buy a used car you should check if it has any recalls.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:34 PM   #27
HeavyChevySSRS

Drives: 2010 SSRS
They should instal a push button start if there was a problem with the ignition system.
Definitely should not play with our keys. I'm not bringing mine in for it. I'm 5 7 so my elbow is more likely to hit the key before my knee LOL

10' ls3 2SS/RS, gfx pkg, stainless headers, 3" stainless exhaust, rotofab cai, custom stage 3 cam, 4:11 gears, wall tuned

HeavyChevySSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:44 PM   #28
321LATER
321LATER

Drives: 2019 White ZL1 (On Order)
Funny shit. When I walked into the deal to pick up my new 2015 ZL1 I was handed the key fob with a loose key. Having owned a 2010 Camaro I assumed that the loose key was more of a Valet key so I kept trying to deploy the key from within the key FOB and got frustrated when nothing came out. Then the sales guy tells me about the recall and I was not happy where by I think I said something like "I Paid $@#$# for this car and I get a hack job of a key"

Does anyone know if we can retrofit a push start in our cars?