#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-03-2021, 01:55 PM   #29
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealG View Post
OK, I’ll put you in the the power bump is not going to happen category. Because if it didn’t happen in the past it for surely could never happen in the future in a different model car in a different year.
Are you planning to buy a new ZL1 if it happens?

Would be nice if they did, my point is they do tend to follow their past product planning and dev patterns, vs not follow it. I also think they don't want a sports car other than the Corvette taking the spotlight now, with launch still fresh and Z06 and GS coming soon. Cadillac is different IMO.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:39 PM   #30
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
You said you agreed with the person who said no more power was coming. And I never singled you out, I don’t know why you are singling me out for making my prediction.
I never agreed with anyone that said no more power was coming, maybe you have me confused with someone else. I quoted you because you said the consensus was 100% that we weren't getting more power. That would imply everyone said no which I didn't.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...84&postcount=8
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:19 PM   #31
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Camaro View Post
NO way we will get the trickle-down. It will cost GM way too much money to recert the car for imperceptible gains
I believe the opposite. Why? Do you think it cost more or less to have two different super charged 6.2 ‘s being built. If money is really a factor at General motors then ZL1 would definitely get this new Cadillac motor with the 6 speed It just makes basic common business sense They wouldn’t develop that motor and 6 speed manual for one car with limited sales. Duh
This new caddy was developed to take on the charger , gave it a six speed to be different. The Camaro goes against the Challenger. It’s going to get the big motor also.
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:45 PM   #32
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Quote:
I believe the opposite. Why? Do you think it cost more or less to have two different super charged 6.2 ‘s being built. If money is really a factor at General motors then ZL1 would definitely get this new Cadillac motor with the 6 speed It just makes basic common business sense They wouldn’t develop that motor and 6 speed manual for one car with limited sales. Duh
This new caddy was developed to take on the charger , gave it a six speed to be different. The Camaro goes against the Challenger. It’s going to get the big motor also.
Didn't they do that very same thing with the last ZR1 ?

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:53 PM   #33
Alain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
Off topic, but holy shit can we take a moment to admire this fella’s driveway!!
Right on brotha ! Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
Yes it’s in terrible shape and should be repaved to be worthy of those 3 beasts.
Rumor has it, his middle name is Moneybags. If I had the place and plenty of $’s I would probably have 1 of each as well.
Lol, i can't stand that damn driveway !!

No kids (no plans to have any) and not married. Girlfriend actually encouraged me to get the Camaro and Shelby. She's definitely not your average girl.

I need to take better pics of all three together this year (while I have them all). Been saying that for the last two years.

Thinking about selling two of them if the C8 Z06 peaks my interest.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Old 02-04-2021, 01:39 AM   #34
Schlok

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #397 2022 ZL1 #1799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
Didn't they do that very same thing with the last ZR1 ?
Yeah, they definitely did for the ZR1. Though at 110k+ or so and under 2,000 built it wasn't in great numbers, as one would expect at that price. GM isn't in the horsepower wars game that Dodge likes to play. GM's game is 'we'll just whip you at the track with a better chassis and useable amounts of power.'

Something else I thought of, remember when the LSA debuted in the CTS-V? It then moved into the ZL1 Camaro with more power than the Caddy...
Schlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:01 AM   #35
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlok View Post
Yeah, they definitely did for the ZR1. Though at 110k+ or so and under 2,000 built it wasn't in great numbers, as one would expect at that price. GM isn't in the horsepower wars game that Dodge likes to play. GM's game is 'we'll just whip you at the track with a better chassis and useable amounts of power.'

Something else I thought of, remember when the LSA debuted in the CTS-V? It then moved into the ZL1 Camaro with more power than the Caddy...
Horsepower sells. Dodge is smoking Chevrolet year after year in sales. I understand that Chevrolet is building cars for a different purpose than drag racing, the problem is that their marketing sucks and more people are interested in HP numbers than how quickly a car can lap Nürburgring.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:18 AM   #36
Chevca

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
I think its a safe bet that it will find its way into the Camaro ZL1. Considering this is a 6.2L and uses a 1.7L blower, it sure sounds like a slightly massaged ZL1. That being said, the HP figures are a little disappointing, with Dodge now turning out a 797HP Redeye Charger for the nearly the same price, the Caddy's power is nice but still going to fall short of what Dodge is offering for a sedan.
Valid point, but how well will each put the power down is the next question. I think the Charger is still based on a rather old in the tooth chassis whereas this something far newer. Be interesting to see what they look like next to each other when that time comes.
Chevca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:48 PM   #37
Alain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Horsepower sells. Dodge is smoking Chevrolet year after year in sales. I understand that Chevrolet is building cars for a different purpose than drag racing, the problem is that their marketing sucks and more people are interested in HP numbers than how quickly a car can lap Nürburgring.
I agree 100% with your statement as well. Dodge has an incredibly robust marketing approach, when compared to GM it's like a super bowl winning team playing a high school team.

Dodge has not only thrown horsepower at their cars, they have groomed the public to fall in love with horsepower. Weather it's usable horsepower or horsepower that makes you go sideways at every turn (which they often feature in their commercials).

Case in point, if I wasn't a car guy and part of these forums I would have never known that the 2018 ZL1 1LE had the 7th fastest lap time at the Nürburgring in 2018, beating cars like McLaren and Ferrari. GM did a half ass job launching that car, Dodge would have been screaming that from the rooftops for 12 months.

I made up my mind to buy a Hellcat after i saw the "Predators" commercial they did with the Phil Collins song "in the air".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevca View Post
Valid point, but how well will each put the power down is the next question. I think the Charger is still based on a rather old in the tooth chassis whereas this something far newer. Be interesting to see what they look like next to each other when that time comes.
Many get stuck on this fact that the charger and challenger are old architectures....... the public doesn't care about that. Dodge has done a phenomenal job at getting people to look past that. Like you, I can't wait to see the comparison videos !!!

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

Old 02-04-2021, 11:42 PM   #38
Schlok

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #397 2022 ZL1 #1799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
I agree 100% with your statement as well. Dodge has an incredibly robust marketing approach, when compared to GM it's like a super bowl winning team playing a high school team.

Dodge has not only thrown horsepower at their cars, they have groomed the public to fall in love with horsepower. Weather it's usable horsepower or horsepower that makes you go sideways at every turn (which they often feature in their commercials).

Case in point, if I wasn't a car guy and part of these forums I would have never known that the 2018 ZL1 1LE had the 7th fastest lap time at the Nürburgring in 2018, beating cars like McLaren and Ferrari. GM did a half ass job launching that car, Dodge would have been screaming that from the rooftops for 12 months.

I made up my mind to buy a Hellcat after i saw the "Predators" commercial they did with the Phil Collins song "in the air".

Many get stuck on this fact that the charger and challenger are old architectures....... the public doesn't care about that. Dodge has done a phenomenal job at getting people to look past that. Like you, I can't wait to see the comparison videos !!!

Yes, absolutely agree. This goes back to many generations of Camaro. When did you ever see a fourth generation Camaro advertisement? I can't tell you...because I don't think that ever happened. Transformers launched the Gen 5 Camaro (when the movie was out in 2007, cars in 2009) and GM just rode that wave until the end of the Gen 5 platform. Dodge was getting smoked (so was Ford, remember the Mustang had 305 HP in 2009!). They both said 'no more' and just starting go for it. I get it about lap times....no body cares that the ZL1 1LE (except maybe us) can run a low 7 minute time...most people have never even heard of the Ring, let alone understand what a beast of a track it is. I remember when I had my C7 Z06 and someone said 'wow that Audi R8 is faster than your Corvette...' sadly the R8 was not...but nobody knew that except me!

Speaking of Super Bowl teams...did you see the GM Will Ferrell commercial about EVs? Makes me sad :(
Schlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:06 PM   #39
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ademarco View Post
I might have to upgrade after someone takes the depreciation hit. I am glad they offer a manual in this high end beast!
For a used car that you have no idea what was done to it or how it was treated? No thanks. I’ll pay full price for piece of mind. Everyone is different.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:37 PM   #40
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
For a used car that you have no idea what was done to it or how it was treated? No thanks. I’ll pay full price for piece of mind. Everyone is different.
Not to mention used prices are outta fawkin control right now.

Saw a 20 raptor with 20k on it for 72k today lol. You can get a new one for that or less
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:03 AM   #41
JT Camaro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Believe what you will, but based on your post I'd have to say you have no idea how cars actually come into being
JT Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 05:19 PM   #42
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Duh
This new caddy was developed to take on the charger, gave it a six speed to be different. The Camaro goes against the Challenger. It’s going to get the big motor also.
Caddy V doesn’t compete with Dodge. Caddy V competes with M, AMG and RS.