Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-20-2021, 07:22 PM   #1
prettywoman

Drives: chevrolet
BEST CAMARO ZL1 EXHAUST

https://youtu.be/jLRoJgSFAOg?t=5

Last edited by prettywoman; 05-20-2021 at 08:16 PM.
prettywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:30 PM   #2
prettywoman

Drives: chevrolet
I SAW THIS ON VIDEO COMPARING ZL1 EXHAUST. ANY TIPS ON THE BEST ZL1 HP AND SOUND?
prettywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 05:27 AM   #3
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
It might matter some but do you have a fifth gen or a 6th gen camaro? Since the 6th gen has more hp it might make a difference in sound but not sure. I have a fifth gen and I think the borla atak sounds the best and that would be what I would buy. Maybe someone else will jump in and answer and tell you what they have installed and if their happy with the choice they made.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 05:50 AM   #4
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
I have a 2012, I have headers and high flow cats with stock exhaust and really like it.

It is loud on full throttle, idle sound great and yet gentle cruising it no too loud.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 09:26 AM   #5
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
"Best" is too vague of a word for exhaust. Best could mean cheapest or doesn't rust or is LOUDEST and most annoying depending on your perspective.
For many years Flowmaster brand did a good job getting their mufflers out to the installation shops and became popular despite even making LESS hp than the stock muffler. It was louder and most people considered it "best". People that were more informed called them "Blowmaster" mufflers. They have different designs and some won't decrease power but I don't trust them anymore so to me they are the worst.
Corsa is popular for people not wanting LOUD. Also "drone" is an annoying hum as you cruise down the road and any "best" for critical thinking people wouldn't include those. Some have a J-pipe to help with that.
A cat coverter or two make surprising dampening to the exhaust noise. With the front and rear cats removed it is twice as loud to my ears so that will also affect the sound notes and volume. Our ZL1's like to blowout the steel wool-like sound dampner packed in the mufflers OEM making them more loud also. The NPP exhaust opens a flap to make the pipe straight through which is very loud with no cats on acceleration.
The thread on a 3 way "volume/flap" switch is a good idea to effectively and inexpensivly adjust the volume depending on where you are and how much attention you don't want.
To increase hp I believe very little will be gained over the OEM NPP unless you- take out cats,high flow cats, and or put on headers (both not smog legal) and or increase the exhaust pipe diameter. Replacing cats with a straight pipe with oxygen sensor fittings increases hp but requires a "tune" to adjust for missing cat efficiency self check. For more HP changing the boost driving pullies is far more cost effective to get hp.
On a related "note", pun intended, if any warranty is a consideration, a lower pully might slip by during warranty work but loud exhause and headers will likely void warranty work. Even if you are besties with a shop guy, a regional warranty inspector etc can void it just when it becomes an expensive repair.

Last edited by silversleeper; 05-21-2021 at 09:39 AM.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 02:24 PM   #6
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Yes. "Best" is hugely subjective. I have headers and no cats. Turns a lot of heads.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 03:11 PM   #7
CJ27

Drives: Chevrolet camaro zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
"Best" is too vague of a word for exhaust. Best could mean cheapest or doesn't rust or is LOUDEST and most annoying depending on your perspective.
For many years Flowmaster brand did a good job getting their mufflers out to the installation shops and became popular despite even making LESS hp than the stock muffler. It was louder and most people considered it "best". People that were more informed called them "Blowmaster" mufflers. They have different designs and some won't decrease power but I don't trust them anymore so to me they are the worst.
Corsa is popular for people not wanting LOUD. Also "drone" is an annoying hum as you cruise down the road and any "best" for critical thinking people wouldn't include those. Some have a J-pipe to help with that.
A cat coverter or two make surprising dampening to the exhaust noise. With the front and rear cats removed it is twice as loud to my ears so that will also affect the sound notes and volume. Our ZL1's like to blowout the steel wool-like sound dampner packed in the mufflers OEM making them more loud also. The NPP exhaust opens a flap to make the pipe straight through which is very loud with no cats on acceleration.
The thread on a 3 way "volume/flap" switch is a good idea to effectively and inexpensivly adjust the volume depending on where you are and how much attention you don't want.
To increase hp I believe very little will be gained over the OEM NPP unless you- take out cats,high flow cats, and or put on headers (both not smog legal) and or increase the exhaust pipe diameter. Replacing cats with a straight pipe with oxygen sensor fittings increases hp but requires a "tune" to adjust for missing cat efficiency self check. For more HP changing the boost driving pullies is far more cost effective to get hp.
On a related "note", pun intended, if any warranty is a consideration, a lower pully might slip by during warranty work but loud exhause and headers will likely void warranty work. Even if you are besties with a shop guy, a regional warranty inspector etc can void it just when it becomes an expensive repair.
Personally was always a flowmaster fan on previously owned cars and trucks but their cat back for the zl1 is very expensive and does not have the flowmaster sound or incorporate the NPP valve's. The factory exhaust on mine with long tubes and no cats sounds about as good as it is going to get. I would like the valves to close at idle but it does fight the drone while cruising very well.
Old 05-22-2021, 06:35 AM   #8
12oclockshadow

Drives: 2012 ZL1 M6
headers, no cats sounds awesome. I have no need to look for exhaust.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:38 AM   #9
Vicster
1000hp is NEVER Enough!

Drives: 13' ZL1
Arrow Mine is

I am using the American Racing Headers S.S., 1 7/8", no cats and x pipe 3" to the stock 2 1/2" exhaust. I also kept the stock mufflers, it is nice to turn off the cut outs on long trips.

Last edited by Vicster; 06-26-2021 at 10:22 AM.
Vicster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, chevrolet, zl1