Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 09-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #29
fshog

Drives: 2011 RS/2SS
I am actually curious now what the shop rates are where everyone is....most up here (manufacturer) are over $100/hr.
fshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #30
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
I am amazed your first one wasn't free. Mine was. They will usually do that for you...

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:03 AM   #31
AieaboyHI

Drives: 2011 IBM 1LT RS
I did it myself for $31. Full synthetic w/filter.
AieaboyHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:09 AM   #32
jdenotter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,M6,Black w/CGM Stripes
What cheap oil and filter did you use? Cost me 80 bucks for M1 and a M1 filter. You must have a v6

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
jdenotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #33
robsls3
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro 1SS
$29 for a 5 Gal jug of Mobil 1 syn. Buy 2 and a Bosch filter $75 do it my selfer. I have 2 quarts left over for what ever.
robsls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #34
Chevyg1rl

Drives: Chevys
Just had mine done $90.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #35
daytripper

Drives: IOM 2012 1SS m6
two 5qt jugs of oil at wally world , 1 pf-48 at Wallys = $55.50 you have an extra 2 qts. three more and the next one costs $3.50
daytripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:12 PM   #36
WifesGroceryGetter

Drives: 2011 RS2SS
Well.... my dealer did me a solid today. Took the new car in for 1st oil change, and after long discussion of Mobil One vs Dexos from GM... (two other service writers said it had to use Dexos only when I bought it) He assured me the SS/V8 was to use the Mobil One. He gave me a free oil change (as promised when I bought the car) but then told me to buy my Mobil One anywhere else and bring it in and they will use it and save me about $30+ from what they would normally charge...wow... A dealer actually showing me how to save money :-) So this way I will still be having a dealer do the changes, log the maintenance, and save some bucks.
WifesGroceryGetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #37
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

Drives: '11 SW 1LT/RS 6M
So what oil filter do you use a conventional filter or the long life one? Not sure the first change was free at the dealer. So who else makes Dexos besides Mobil? I see the synthetic sometimes but not all Dexos.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:43 PM   #38
WifesGroceryGetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman007 View Post
So what oil filter do you use a conventional filter or the long life one? Not sure the first change was free at the dealer. So who else makes Dexos besides Mobil? I see the synthetic sometimes but not all Dexos.

I used what ever the Chevy dealer had... as for the Dexos, the last thing I was told is that the v6 needs that, however, Mobil One is "certified" as dexos1. From what I understand, Dexos is a level of quality/certification that an oil must meet..or in other words, a reason to charge more for an oil change. But GM says it has to be on the 2011's or else it won't be in compliant with warranty. There are several threads out there on this.

Here is a link to the GM / Dexos site with what you can cross reference.

http://www.gmdexos.com/licensedbrands.html

As for filter... 25 years ago my auto shop teacher had about 10-12 different oil filters that were cut open to look at the internals. It was a huge eye opener and left a major impression on me. I was thinking earlier tonight that I am going to go buy all I can find for the camaro, and do the same... I will post the pics of each one... if you have never seen what some are made of, you will be blown away. Some have cardboard holding the ends, while others have aluminum or steel, some have huge gaps in the folds (more gaps = less space to catch dirt, etc) Funny thing was, the bigger the name, the crappier the quality. It was a no namer that was really made with the best quality... looked to see if they are still making filters...and they are...so ordered one about 2 hours ago.

wow...this was a long reply...
Old 09-26-2011, 09:44 AM   #39
rachykells
Gearhead rocker chick

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshog View Post
Just had the oil dropped for the first time (at the dealer)....and walked out with $140 invoice!! Wow, didn't think it would be that high! Price for the Mobil was $90 alone!

Oh well, gotta pay if you wanna play!

Wow. Makes me even more glad I have free oil changes for the life of my vehicle! I just got my first oil change the other day... quick and easy.

I agree doing it yourself is the better route though-- a hassle, but saves a ton of cash. On my beater car, I pay my friend to do the dirty work. :P
Trifecta Tuned / VMAX ported TB / OBX LT headers / MRT v2.0 / Magnaflow Resonated X-pipe / Roto-Fab CAI / RX catch can / AAC Footwell Lights / Blacked-out Bowties / Smoked tails, side markers, reverse lights / 20% tint
rachykells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #40
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

Drives: '11 SW 1LT/RS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by WifesGroceryGetter View Post
I used what ever the Chevy dealer had... as for the Dexos, the last thing I was told is that the v6 needs that, however, Mobil One is "certified" as dexos1. From what I understand, Dexos is a level of quality/certification that an oil must meet..or in other words, a reason to charge more for an oil change. But GM says it has to be on the 2011's or else it won't be in compliant with warranty. There are several threads out there on this.

Here is a link to the GM / Dexos site with what you can cross reference.

http://www.gmdexos.com/licensedbrands.html

As for filter... 25 years ago my auto shop teacher had about 10-12 different oil filters that were cut open to look at the internals. It was a huge eye opener and left a major impression on me. I was thinking earlier tonight that I am going to go buy all I can find for the camaro, and do the same... I will post the pics of each one... if you have never seen what some are made of, you will be blown away. Some have cardboard holding the ends, while others have aluminum or steel, some have huge gaps in the folds (more gaps = less space to catch dirt, etc) Funny thing was, the bigger the name, the crappier the quality. It was a no namer that was really made with the best quality... looked to see if they are still making filters...and they are...so ordered one about 2 hours ago.

wow...this was a long reply...

Thanks buddy! I kind of knew about the oil, Mobil 1 is going in. But the oil filter is the question. Any suggestions are appreciated. Do you have any recommendations? Are they all conventional, meaning no one makes long life filters? I just don't want to make a mistake and void my 6 year warranty.
Troy Lawson
Old 09-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #41
WifesGroceryGetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman007 View Post
Thanks buddy! I kind of knew about the oil, Mobil 1 is going in. But the oil filter is the question. Any suggestions are appreciated. Do you have any recommendations? Are they all conventional, meaning no one makes long life filters? I just don't want to make a mistake and void my 6 year warranty.
Troy Lawson
Well, I don't at this point want to make a recommendation till I have done my little test again.... it was funny though... I do remember that a plain jane K-mart (sux) filter was actually internally built better than a very popular name brand one that came along. I don't think any issued filter will void a warranty. A former co-worker (who always carried a shammy in his pocket) drove many vehicles to over 300K miles.... his philosophy... keep all fluids clean and all filters changed...the cars look like they had 30k on them.... he never worried about brand, just kept new and clean fluids in....

As for conventional vs long life... they are cheap..even the "good" ones...always change it out...small price to pay.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #42
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
$56.99 buying mobile one and filter at Walmart, 20-mins of my time.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote