Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 10-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #169
BigDan

Drives: bug
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
In CA, for street cars, it is illegal to remove tha cats...just as it is illegal to drive while talking on cellphone in your ear but people think it isn't really illegal until you get busted.

In CA, pre-1974 ½ car are emissions exempt therefore you can do what you like with the engine, exhaust, whatever.
I heard through the grapevine that doing 66mph in a 65mph is also illegal.

There are also a few smog exempt counties in CA that only require an emissions test during a change of ownership and not bi-yearly like the rest of the state.

Most of my modified diesel buddies had to change their addressees because of the new diesel emission laws which prohibit modified turbo's, fuel systems, etc...
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #170
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
What's funny is that you fail to grasp the fact that by removing the cats, a Federal law has been broken and Federal law supersedes State law. Just because you don't know of anyone who has been charged for a violation does not mean it is any less illegal. What state you register the vehicle in does not make one iota of difference.
Actually, in some CARB states it is illegal to replace a catalytic converter, even with another cat, unless it is defective or broken.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #171
Agent orange
socal ht5

Drives: 2010 Camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
Dyno:

432RWHP
376WTQ

SAE

I drive it all the time. In fact, that evening I drove it to the track, switched tires, ran, switched tires and drove it back home. 186 miles round trip.

I don't live in California where one can't install a CAI without it being CARB approved to be considered "legal". What a 'effed up state....
california is very strict. but who cares. im gonna try to put a drag tires on mine to see whats the best time with it

Last edited by Agent orange; 10-19-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Agent orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #172
Agent orange
socal ht5

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber View Post
LOL

This is hilarious.

Almost sounds like you guys are making excuses for his times I.E No cats is a completely illegal car, etc.

It is different by state. Some states enfore exhaust mofications, some don't, simple as that.

Most states however, enforce loud cars. I can bet my ass a Cammed LSx motor is a tiny bit louder than a 4.6 or 5.0 with no cats, seeing as most Modified cars do not have cats.

I think you are preaching to the wrong group here.
you have a point. but i want to make my self clear that im not making any excuses for his time. just stating the fact that its not street legal anymore. and i think drag tires and O/R pipe my camaro can hang with his mustang.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #173
BigDan

Drives: bug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent orange View Post
california is very strict. but who cares. im gonna try to put a drag tires on mine to see whats the best time with it
Are you going to be putting "drag tires" on your stock 20" rims or on dedicated set of 18's? I heard 18" C6 Z06 rims fit nicely.

Since your axles/ rear suspension is stock are you going to be worried about breaking with a dead hook from your stickies.

Most modified SS owners I talk to here are very concerned about breaking with the added traction that comes with "drag tires" until they have done all the proper supporting mods, some go as far as doing a 9" swap. I think you should be ok at your hp level with upgraded shafts, center section, bushings, braces, and suspension otherwise its just gonna be a matter of time before you break.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #174
Agent orange
socal ht5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
Are you going to be putting "drag tires" on your stock 20" rims or on dedicated set of 18's? I heard 18" C6 Z06 rims fit nicely.

Since your axles/ rear suspension is stock are you going to be worried about breaking with a dead hook from your stickies.

Most modified SS owners I talk to here are very concerned about breaking with the added traction that comes with "drag tires" until they have done all the proper supporting mods, some go as far as doing a 9" swap. I think you should be ok at your hp level with upgraded shafts, center section, bushings, braces, and suspension otherwise its just gonna be a matter of time before you break.
i probably go with 18" and thats one more thing i need to take care of. thanks for your advise
Old 10-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #175
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
you have a point. but i want to make my self clear that im not making any excuses for his time. just stating the fact that its not street legal anymore. and i think drag tires and O/R pipe my camaro can hang with his mustang.
So let me get this right...you think tires and a O/R exhaust is going to pickup 1.5 seconds in the quarter mile? You are setting yourself up for disappointment. Low 12's at best with a good driver.

Last I checked my car inspection is current and registered meaning it is street legal. I drive it to the track, run it and drive home. It doesn't get more streetable than that.

I find it halarious that I daily drive a full on race car. I guarantee your Camaro peers are running O/R exhuasts on the street and bias ply tires at the strip. Oh and btw, The ET Streets I was running at the track are a DOT street legal tire.

Last edited by wbt; 10-19-2011 at 08:02 PM.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:21 PM   #176
epkmvuoq

Drives: 2ss red m6
Quote:
So let me get this right...you think tires and a O/R exhaust is going to pickup 1.5 seconds in the quarter mile? You are setting yourself up for disappointment. Low 12's at best with a good driver.

Last I checked my car inspection is current and registered meaning it is street legal. I drive it to the track, run it and drive home. It doesn't get more streetable than that.

I find it halarious that I daily drive a full on race car. I guarantee your Camaro peers are running O/R exhuasts on the street and bias ply tires at the strip. Oh and btw, The ET Streets I was running at the track are a DOT street legal tire.
If you can pull a really good 60 ft you'll soon be in the 9's with your real fast 5.0 liter mustang. You may be the first mustang on earth to smoke a top fuel with that coyote !!!!
epkmvuoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:22 PM   #177
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by epkmvuoq View Post
If you can pull a really good 60 ft you'll soon be in the 9's with your real fast 5.0 liter mustang. You may be the first mustang on earth to smoke a top fuel with that coyote !!!!
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:57 PM   #178
Agent orange
socal ht5

Quote:

Ok you win. I lose.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:56 AM   #179
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by epkmvuoq View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
Quote:
Ok you win. I lose.

I'll go back to my quote for you guys:

"First they deny, then they fail."

What a shame.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:20 AM   #180
epkmvuoq

Drives: 2ss red m6
Quote:
I'll go back to my quote for you guys:

"First they deny, then they fail."

What a shame.
I fail,,,I loose,,,I will admit ,,I will not deny. Your mustang is unquestionably the best and fastest thing on god given earth. ,,,,,,please,it hurts me when you say the deny and fail thing. ONE MORE TIME,,,,I HAVE FAILED,,,,,I DRIVE A BIG FAT SLOW LS3 CAMARO THAT WILL NEVER,NEVER,NEVER IN ANY WAY OUT RUN A MUSTANG. AND MY CAMARO IS VERY UGLY !! YOU ARE SO LUCKY AND FORTUNATE TO HAVE THAT COYOTE.
epkmvuoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:42 AM   #181
Grabber
Just a car guy

Drives: 2016 Durango R/T AWD
I've honestly never heard of a car picking up a full 1.5 seconds with a Tire and an O/R Pipe.....I guess you learn something new every day, haha.
2014 5.0 - Ported CobraJet Manifold - SCJ Mono-Blade TB - Kooks 1-3/4" LT Headers - Kooks O/R H-pipe - Custom Intake - McLeod clutch line - Borla S-Type Axle Backs - AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ - GONE
05 GT - Sold
03 Cobra - Gone (Never Forgotten)
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #182
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber View Post
I've honestly never heard of a car picking up a full 1.5 seconds with a Tire and an O/R Pipe.....I guess you learn something new every day, haha.
Or a car picking up nearly 1 full second with nothing more than a E85 tune, lol
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote