Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 11-07-2011, 01:19 AM   #225
downtime

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschevybear11 View Post
Not hating, I have had a dozen mustangs and have one now in the garage next to the camaro, even looked real hard at a new 5.0. In case you didn't notice I didn't give advice, I was baffled at your wildly varying slips with so many years of experience but I think my expectations of quicker times is what really ruffled your feathers. I don't want none of that mustang.
Feathers aren't ruffled one bit, I just thought it amusing that someone that doesn't own a quicker than I do is telling me to "keep trying". Those were my first trips down the strip in this car. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it sooner or later.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:22 AM   #226
downtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
Your best 60' is 1.77 if I am reading these right and you are claiming that it pulls the front wheel......??

Really?

I'm not "claiming" anything. The picture wasn't posted by me, but the proof is there. You guys that can't launch seem to be the ones having an issue with it. There's the real face palm. Sorry that the General saw fit to equip your ride with an IRS that can't stand the heat, but don't take it out on me, it wasn't my decision to make.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:23 AM   #227
downtime

Quote:
Its not gospel that one or the other is better, only that any given day or driver they are pretty evenly matched. Its not always the car.
Now this I agree with 100%. Much like pro sports, any given team, on any given day......
Old 11-07-2011, 04:16 AM   #228
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
Your best 60' is 1.77 if I am reading these right and you are claiming that it pulls the front wheel......??

Really?

I was there... seen it with my own eyes and I've known Downtime a long time... and I've been around here for quite some time too... I'm the one that dragged him into this.. why in the world would i make this up? LOL
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:48 AM   #229
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtime View Post
What's not to believe? It's not like I was yanking them a foot of the ground. Sticky tires, good track prep, an experienced driver (racing for 30 years now) and an old school live axle rear end that holds up to 3000+ rpm launches. And don't forget the axleback, that adds at least.......some power, I'm sure.
Actually, I do beleive you. I`ve been drag racing for some time, looking at the 60 foot and the DA your times seem about right to me. Also w/ a live axle it is easy to pull the tires I think thats whats confusing people on this board about you pulling tire, there are 10 second cars on this board not pulling tire, its of course because of the independent rear, which is why I think people on here think you pulling tire is bs w/ just the few mods you have. I can easily see those 60 foot times w/ a real sticky tire, a real good tune and high rpm launches w/ a blatant disregard for one`s clutch longevity... Lol.. I had a 96 Trans Am w/ 390RWHP that would pull tire all day long in the high 1.4x 60`s and a low 11.4x`s consistently.

Out of curiosity whats the best time for a supercharged stock internal engine automatic 5.0 that is NOT also running nitrous and NOT a shop car? Just want to compare apples to apples, I tend to discount shop cars as they do find tricks to use and don`t care if they blow shit up. I`m not running nitrous and still stock internal on a 10.99 looking to hit a 10.5 at some time w/ out opening it up. I think the best L99 nonshop car has run 10.53 stock internal, it was not running nitrous either.
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:11 AM   #230
sschevybear11

Drives: 2011 Black 1SS
Quote:
Feathers aren't ruffled one bit, I just thought it amusing that someone that doesn't own a quicker than I do is telling me to "keep trying". Those were my first trips down the strip in this car. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it sooner or later.
I'm sure you will I just expected more consistant runs. I've raced a few years like you and have quit a bit more experiance then whats in my sig.
Now: Coated Dynatech LT's/!Cats/Hurst Shifter/Roto-fab/SLP SS badges/JRE 415HP Tune, Scoop & Washer Relocation Bottle,Hurst Stunner 20X9 Wheels, Moroso Catch Can, ASP pulley, Magnaflow X-pipe, GTO remote clutch reservoir
1989 Silver 5.0 Mustang LX Coupe
1999 Pewter Tahoe LT
2011 Blue Camry SE
sschevybear11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #231
Black GT
Banned

Drives: 2006 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRULZ View Post

Out of curiosity whats the best time for a supercharged stock internal engine automatic 5.0 that is NOT also running nitrous and NOT a shop car? Just want to compare apples to apples, I tend to discount shop cars as they do find tricks to use and don`t care if they blow shit up. I`m not running nitrous and still stock internal on a 10.99 looking to hit a 10.5 at some time w/ out opening it up. I think the best L99 nonshop car has run 10.53 stock internal, it was not running nitrous either.

I have a buddy that was running his 5.0(Auto) with a ROUSH supercharger, O/R X-pipe, LCA relocation brackets, slicks.

He would run 10.5x-10.6x's consistant.

I'll try to find the video when he made a run on Pass Time.

Black GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #232
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Now this I agree with 100%. Much like pro sports, any given team, on any given day......
I have no issue in thinking you pulled the tires with the mods you listed, dump that clutch high enough and she will pop up. Looking at your slips they are all over the place but averages to about 12:60, toss out the 13s and the 12:10 and you have a consistant mid to low 12 second car. About the same to be expected from a mild bolt on 5th gen. Nothing wrong with that performance at all
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #233
downtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRULZ View Post
Actually, I do beleive you. I`ve been drag racing for some time, looking at the 60 foot and the DA your times seem about right to me. Also w/ a live axle it is easy to pull the tires I think thats whats confusing people on this board about you pulling tire, there are 10 second cars on this board not pulling tire, its of course because of the independent rear, which is why I think people on here think you pulling tire is bs w/ just the few mods you have. I can easily see those 60 foot times w/ a real sticky tire, a real good tune and high rpm launches w/ a blatant disregard for one`s clutch longevity... Lol.. I had a 96 Trans Am w/ 390RWHP that would pull tire all day long in the high 1.4x 60`s and a low 11.4x`s consistently.

And the tires were barely off the ground, everyone here was making it out like I was wheelstanding the thing! LOL!

As to the blown stock internal type cars, most of the really quick ones are "shop" cars. We have a local tuning shop, HPP Motorsports, and the owner, Manny, is well known in drag racing circles. He recently completed his new 5.0, taking a stock internal motor to about 730 rwhp (dangerous territory imo, but he has the resources to fix it if it breaks) using a KB 3.6 blower. At Dallas Raceway this past weekend, he went 9.91@138, on the stock converter and 3.15 gears. That's quickest stock engined car that I currently know about.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #234
downtime

Quote:
I'm sure you will I just expected more consistant runs. I've raced a few years like you and have quit a bit more experiance then whats in my sig.
LOL! I'm old. Did you see my reaction times? I still get a few good ones in now and then though.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #235
downtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
I have no issue in thinking you pulled the tires with the mods you listed, dump that clutch high enough and she will pop up. Looking at your slips they are all over the place but averages to about 12:60, toss out the 13s and the 12:10 and you have a consistant mid to low 12 second car. About the same to be expected from a mild bolt on 5th gen. Nothing wrong with that performance at all
The 13's were totally my fault. I was experimenting with different rpm's for the launch. Running 20psi int he DR's seemed to be the sweet spot for the tires, so I played with the rpm's. 2750 would bog terribly, and 3500 would spin (and sound like things were breaking! LOL!). All of the 12 sec runs were done from 3000. I feel pretty confident I could have gotten the 11 I was looking for, but I hot lapped it after a terrible launch and smoked the clutch a little bit on the next burnout. Since I still had to drive her home 1400 miles, I figured a 12.10 was good enough and called it a day.

We were running with GTO's and CTS-V's and a few older Camaros all day and everyone was amazed at the car. I personally was amazed at the very low 11 sec CTS-V, the 4th Gen Camaro that hung the wheels about a foot off the ground on every run, and the gold 6.0 GTO. If he wouldn't have been scared of breaking the rear end, I truly believe he would have been running well into the 11's. And the second slip of mine that's posted, that run was against a G8 and he was on street tires. He ran faster but I did get him off the line enough to beat him. Some damn fast cars there that day though, I had a blast!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #236
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
Quote:
LOL! I'm old. Did you see my reaction times? I still get a few good ones in now and then though.
my only consideration is the tune. most people that own your car or a camaro don't want to void their warranty, so to many of us, you may as well have added a cam or a supercharger.

so for all i care you could be running 10s, but it doesn't make me want to go out and void my warranty to see how close i can get to your time, whether that be through a tune, a cam, or a combination of any other warranty-voiding modifications.

i'm all for seeing a practically modded camaro race a practically modded 5.0 to see the results. i just don't think your results are practical for the average owner, so to me i'm just totally indifferent about what you were able to achieve, and it doesn't make me wish i had considered getting a 5.0 over a camaro any whatsoever.
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #237
sschevybear11

Drives: 2011 Black 1SS
Quote:
Yeah, I'm 50 next week. I don't pay attention to reaction time when looking for a test/fast pass.
Now: Coated Dynatech LT's/!Cats/Hurst Shifter/Roto-fab/SLP SS badges/JRE 415HP Tune, Scoop & Washer Relocation Bottle,Hurst Stunner 20X9 Wheels, Moroso Catch Can, ASP pulley, Magnaflow X-pipe, GTO remote clutch reservoir
1989 Silver 5.0 Mustang LX Coupe
1999 Pewter Tahoe LT
2011 Blue Camry SE
sschevybear11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #238
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Thanks Black GT and Downtime for the info. It seems none of the Camaro shops w/ a few exceptions ie.. lingenfelter don`t have their own shop cars that they try to flog the most out of the setup. They tend to more work on customer cars and try to make sure they are safe enough not to break. The Mustang world however seems to have a bunch of shops jockeying to be the fastest at whatever setup, competing against each other and such. thats why I was asking about non shop cars. seems like if i hit 10.5`s safely, no meth low boost compares pretty favorably to the 5.0 w/ a similar setup stock internal. Thts great news actually as it means there will be divertsity at the racetrack not just mustangs only... Personally I`d rather have the streets full of mustangs, challengers and camaro`s not just camaro`s.
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote