Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-31-2021, 03:40 PM   #15
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Dent genie. Paint less dent repair. They’ll get it out no issue and it’ll look flawless

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:17 PM   #16
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
PDR it. I had it done on a daily driver car. The wonderful state of CA let out a violent crazy person who randomly walked up to my car in a parking lot and kicked the sht out of it. PDR fixed it back almost perfect with a few paint cracks, but it was about 3x worse than yours.Here's a random example:
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:47 PM   #17
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Damn. Now I am confused. Obviously, pricing varies wildly by region, that I understand.

I feel that the insurance company greatly lowballed me on the repair cost, especially with paint involved. For that cost I would go with the body shop, assuming I don't have half a pound of body filler on my rear quarter. But I don't think it's going to be that price. As for PDR, I have heard and seen of some absolutely amazing work done by these PDR guys. Stuff that would blow your mind...but I need to find 'that guy'. Either way I go, I want to make sure it looks 100% perfect. This is why I am leaning body shop currently.

I will update the thread after I go to the body shop this coming Tuesday and list my new quote. It's a great shop I have used before on my other cars and they haven't led me wrong so far. I will also list the separate quote for the other work I am considering.

Thanks everyone.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:32 PM   #18
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
For my long winded post:
The way I see it, it's a nice, but driver quality car. 11 years old now, parked outside. I totally get that you enjoy looking at it without dents and rust. But how perfect do you expect to maintain it outside and aging like that? I'd throw a couple hundred at a highly reviewed PDR person, even if I had to drive an hour or two. Then you can step back and say it's invisible from 6 feet or good enough in the big picture.
If you're still not satisfied that $200 would work out to be deducted from the body shop repair anyhow as they don't need to do pounding and dent removal. They can just do a thin coat of filler if it's not perfectly gone (that way you KNOW they won't put in half can as you said) and sand prime and paint then clear coat it. The real total cost might even be less than the PDR guy's additional rates worked out to added to the body shop bill. In other words his PDR $185 repair that isn't perfect enough, might reduce the body shop bill by $250
The body shop might not do a perfect paint blend or work anyhow even if you paid them a grand. Or it yellows or flakes after a couple years or something.

http://www.evansdentpro.com/
https://www.facebook.com/PDRSpringHill/

He could be a clown, I don't know, I live on the opposite side of the world. He has good reviews except not replying to messages, a minor issue I'd say vs quality of work.

Last edited by silversleeper; 07-31-2021 at 08:44 PM.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:28 AM   #19
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
contact and send a pic to dent ranger in daytona,see what he says.i know its a long hike,but you can always browse the flea market and hit the beach,and he does good work.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:28 AM   #20
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Sorry to hear about this. Always let the adjuster see the car at the shop. This way the shop is able to negotiate a proper repair for you. I was a painter for 20 years. You have more like 1200-1500 damage there. Make sure the trunk is blended in with color. Pdr has advanced dramatically in the last few years. Body lines are not an issue for a good pdr guy. Good luck with the repair bro.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:41 PM   #21
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Ok, just got back from the body shop, and as expected, their estimate is MUCH higher. Actually very close to what some of us here had guessed and more based in reality. Part of this is because I also noticed 3 small dings from the branch in the trunk lid after washing the wood debris and crap off the car, so that will be repaired and repainted also.

I had previously mentioned that I wanted to get my factory unpainted GFX side skirts and rear GFX valence paint matched and clear coated while it's in there (Out of pocket, of course), so that price is also listed separately below.

Original Insurance Company Estimate: $444.74

Body Shop Estimate: $1575.28...
  • Body Labor: 13.4 hours @ $46.00 per hour
  • Paint Labor: 8.9 hours @ $46.00 per hour
  • Mechanical Labor 1.0 hours @ $85.00 per hour
  • Paint Supplies 8.9 hours @ $28.00 per hour
  • Parts (Quarter Glass urethane kit, Red SS badge, and Chevy Bowtie emblem) $ 103.72

Additional out of pocket work:

Paint and clear coat GFX side skirts and rear valence: $715.83

Covid has them pretty far behind, so I have an appointment to drop it off on August 30th. Last time they had one of my cars it took them around 2 weeks to have everything done, which I am ok with. At least I get to enjoy my car for the mean time. The best part is I have some pre-existing paint damage in some of these areas that will be getting resprayed.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote