Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-19-2016, 04:09 PM   #1
Mikkelsenj
JoeyM

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro RS
Audio/Sound system help!?!?

Maybe somebody can help me on this. So I know my Camaro does not have the Boston acoustics equipped with it. Now I love the factory radio unit and I would like to keep it there. I heard people say that I need some kind of adapter that taps into the factory radio to turn it to RCA for the amp to power or work for the subs. Can anybody inform me on this and show me links and instructions? I would appreciate it! I should have my sound system in by the end of this month and need to make sure I can install everything with ease so question is

1) In order to use my factory radio with custom amps and subs do I need an adapter and if so can somebody drop the link?

2) any instructions on how to install the adapter I would appreciate it and would help out a lot !
Old 07-19-2016, 04:50 PM   #2
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
AudioControl Lc7i. This would require some splicing.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
As noted above, you need a LOC (Line Output Converter). It takes the amplified signal from your radio (usually a tap from your rear speakers) and outputs a line-level signal for input into a standard amplifier.

The size/model depends on how many speakers you intend to drive with your new amp(s).
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:47 AM   #4
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkelsenj View Post
Maybe somebody can help me on this. So I know my Camaro does not have the Boston acoustics equipped with it. Now I love the factory radio unit and I would like to keep it there. I heard people say that I need some kind of adapter that taps into the factory radio to turn it to RCA for the amp to power or work for the subs. Can anybody inform me on this and show me links and instructions? I would appreciate it! I should have my sound system in by the end of this month and need to make sure I can install everything with ease so question is

1) In order to use my factory radio with custom amps and subs do I need an adapter and if so can somebody drop the link?

2) any instructions on how to install the adapter I would appreciate it and would help out a lot !

1. Adapter to tap RCA's from Head Unit: PAC AA-GM44

2. 4-Channel RCA's from HU to trunk: Karma SS 4ch-6M

3. Amp installation Kit or DIY from KnuKonceptz

4. 100' spool speaker wire: Karma SS 16 AWG

You need to gut the interior: rear seats, front seats and center console. This requires a "T set", the steel bar in the rear seats and the four bolts holding the front seats in are a T-50 iirc. Just buy a T-set from Harbor Freight and a 1/2" drive socket, possibly an extender.

Run your RCA's down the passenger side of the car as the 0 AWG primary for the car goes down the drivers side. You may need Google how to remove radio, there are several videos available.

You are running new speaker wire and to get the 16awg through the doors you'll need to drill a hole below the electrical OEM molex (Google) in the door itself. Use a small grommet or silicone to seal the gap as needed. Do not drill the body of the car, there is already a free hole there with grommet and while it is a pain in the ass to reach and use, go slow and have patience.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:42 PM   #5
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festial #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
1. Adapter to tap RCA's from Head Unit: PAC AA-GM44

2. 4-Channel RCA's from HU to trunk: Karma SS 4ch-6M

3. Amp installation Kit or DIY from KnuKonceptz

4. 100' spool speaker wire: Karma SS 16 AWG

You need to gut the interior: rear seats, front seats and center console. This requires a "T set", the steel bar in the rear seats and the four bolts holding the front seats in are a T-50 iirc. Just buy a T-set from Harbor Freight and a 1/2" drive socket, possibly an extender.

Run your RCA's down the passenger side of the car as the 0 AWG primary for the car goes down the drivers side. You may need Google how to remove radio, there are several videos available.

You are running new speaker wire and to get the 16awg through the doors you'll need to drill a hole below the electrical OEM molex (Google) in the door itself. Use a small grommet or silicone to seal the gap as needed. Do not drill the body of the car, there is already a free hole there with grommet and while it is a pain in the ass to reach and use, go slow and have patience.
This is the best response to a thread in the audio sub section of this forum. The links are till active 5 years later and I wanted to bump it in case someone else was searching like i have been.

Thanks snoman. You're sometimes sarcastic as hell--LOL--but your information is spot on and very helpful.

Dan

Last edited by Z/28Dan; 02-13-2021 at 03:58 PM.
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote