Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-23-2018, 09:47 AM   #1
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
2017 Ford Shelby GT350 C&D test

In the newest issue (April 2018) they have an update on thier 40k mile long term test. It’s just a column, but I thought it was noteworthy that it’s going through 5 quarts of oil every 3k miles at 22k. Ford has warned owners to expect up to a quart every 500 miles if the car is subjected to “extended time at high engine speeds, high loads, engine braking, hard cornering maneuvers, and track use”. Car & Driver states “aside from a few canyon runs, our GT350 has spent all of its time on freeways”.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:32 PM   #2
gen6waiter

Drives: Toyota Taco. 2010 SS-Sold :(
Ford is right.. 1 Quart lost from racing, aggressive driving, etc. They just "forgot" to warn owners about the "marking my territory" oil leak during normal driving and when parked that can total up to 4 quartz every 300 miles
Old 03-28-2018, 07:31 AM   #3
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

I’m surprised no one else thought that was excessive oil consumption.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:01 AM   #4
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
Hell, with that kind of consumption there is barely a need to change the oil if you put a quart in every 500 miles.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:37 PM   #5
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
I'm on a GT350 forum. There's a guy there that is burning 1 qt/100 miles. I really like the car and was ready to purchase, I even made some offers, but this issue is a deal killer for me.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:40 PM   #6
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
I'm on a GT350 forum. There's a guy there that is burning 1 qt/100 miles. I really like the car and was ready to purchase, I even made some offers, but this issue is a deal killer for me.
Damn. That’s a major issue. Wonder why it’s flying under the radar?
Old 04-05-2018, 05:45 AM   #7
Spurshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Damn. That’s a major issue. Wonder why it’s flying under the radar?
If you stop into the few GT350 forums, you can read about it. Seems to be a small number reporting now. But getting more.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:21 AM   #8
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
hmmm...wonder if that new tech they are using to spray the cylinder liners in the block to get the extra cc's...http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...sfer-wire-arc/

they say that after 100,000 mile test the cross hatching was still visible...maybe they are leavin to much cross hatch resulting in the oil stickin to the cylinder walls and then burning off...

visible cross hatch vs something you can barely feel with a finger nail are huge diff...

I see a lawsuit in the future if Ford doesn't replace those motors...1qt of oil between 5k changes is still IMHO to much...

should be interestin readin about the poor SOB's....l8tr!
Old 04-05-2018, 11:29 AM   #9
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
hmmm...wonder if that new tech they are using to spray the cylinder liners in the block to get the extra cc's...http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...sfer-wire-arc/

they say that after 100,000 mile test the cross hatching was still visible...maybe they are leavin to much cross hatch resulting in the oil stickin to the cylinder walls and then burning off...

visible cross hatch vs something you can barely feel with a finger nail are huge diff...

I see a lawsuit in the future if Ford doesn't replace those motors...1qt of oil between 5k changes is still IMHO to much...

should be interestin readin about the poor SOB's....l8tr!
GT-R's and the last gen GT500's aldo used PTWA liners. I don't recall them having oil issues.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:22 PM   #10
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Ouch, and I thought GM's acceptable limit of 1qt for 2k miles was a bit much. That much and you can definitely kiss the cats goodbye real quick, can't be good for their emissions warranty.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:41 AM   #11
Spurshot

The Voodoo engine also has some really short skirt pistons. Many years ago, I saw some similar short skirt pistons that had busted skirts. Also, the rings may be failing from a little piston rocking. All speculation. But, someone at Ford knows by now.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:21 PM   #12
Flavoade

Drives: 2017 Shelby GT350, 1990 Eagle Talon
Let me jump in!

I have a 2017 GT350. The odo is about 3350 right now. Bought it last April. I don't drive it too much because of weather, work, or if I am feeling tired. But when I do take it out, I put about 50 to 100 miles of driving on it every 1-2 weeks to keep everything lubed.

In that time it did burn oil just as the Owners supplement stated. I engine brake alot, and get on it a good bit, but I dont beat on it.

I noticed it used about 1/4 - quart of oil about every 250 miles; thats a rough estimate. The harder you drive it, the more it uses oil.

At 3350 miles I have used 2 quarts of oil to top it off between the dip-stick holes. Ford Performance said only add enough oil to keep it between the holes.

Other owners say their cars do the same, with some saying they don't use any. I don't know if the car has truly broken in as I dont drive it regularly. A daily used 350 may use less oil.

Its def a unique engine. It sounds like it has a knock in it even when its warm, but I think its actually the exhaust.

I did consider the issues E90 M3 owners had with their FPC engines when I bought it; I just pray I dont run into those issues.

Feel free to ask questions!
Flavoade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:56 AM   #13
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavoade View Post
Let me jump in!

I have a 2017 GT350. The odo is about 3350 right now. Bought it last April. I don't drive it too much because of weather, work, or if I am feeling tired. But when I do take it out, I put about 50 to 100 miles of driving on it every 1-2 weeks to keep everything lubed.

In that time it did burn oil just as the Owners supplement stated. I engine brake alot, and get on it a good bit, but I dont beat on it.

I noticed it used about 1/4 - quart of oil about every 250 miles; thats a rough estimate. The harder you drive it, the more it uses oil.

At 3350 miles I have used 2 quarts of oil to top it off between the dip-stick holes. Ford Performance said only add enough oil to keep it between the holes.

Other owners say their cars do the same, with some saying they don't use any. I don't know if the car has truly broken in as I dont drive it regularly. A daily used 350 may use less oil.

Its def a unique engine. It sounds like it has a knock in it even when its warm, but I think its actually the exhaust.

I did consider the issues E90 M3 owners had with their FPC engines when I bought it; I just pray I dont run into those issues.

Keep us informed, very nice to have someone with the actual vehicle to give us info.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:27 AM   #14
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavoade View Post
Let me jump in!

In your personal opinion, do you think the oil consumption is excessive?