Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-23-2014, 02:26 PM   #1
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
Service Airbag warning?

I was driving around and I get the service air bag warning on the DIC. Anyone ever had this? Any reason it would just come on or what the cause could be?

The issue is it comes and goes often. It will come on randomly, I will then fiddle with the passengers seat move it forward/ backward and it goes away. Or sometimes I will start the car and it will not come on at all, then during my trip it will randomly come on and then just go away eventually on its own. Doesn't happen in any regulated intervals seems random.

I have a 2011 V6 1LT with 46 XXX miles.

camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:09 PM   #2
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
could be anything. it's almost like a check engine light. if the ecm, or probably BCM that controls it senses any problem from the airbags or seat belts it will trigger that warning. unfortunately, most code scanners you buy at the auto parts store will only read engine codes, so you'll probably have to take it somewhere.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
SSteven

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
There is a recall related to airbags...got a letter recently about it. Check your VIN at https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

Previous Camaro (sold 11/2015): 2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint
Replaced with 2013 Black Dodge Charger SRT8
SSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
MikeInVegas

Drives: 2013 2SS
I had that problem. Took it to the dealer and it turned out there was a loose connector.

When I had that problem, I called OnStar to see if there was any way to disable the bell that kept going off. They said to just take it to a dealer and have them fix it. Its 9am on a Sunday, what dealer has service dept hours on a Sunday? Useless! I had to drive from San Diego to Las Vegas with that bell going off every couple minutes.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #5
sean90

Drives: 2014 2SS
I had the same problem. It was about 2 months ago, I brought it in and there was no recall at the time. Dealer gave me a rental car as they had to wait a couple days for the part to arrive. They covered everything so no real complaint from me other than a brand new 2014 having such a stupid problem.

Edit: for those who are trying to keep their switchblade key like me, they don't force you to do the recall. You sign a paper stating you do not wish to have the recall done, and you keep it with your car so they know.
sean90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:51 PM   #6
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
Happened on mine last year, passenger occupancy sensor.
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:07 PM   #7
camarozzzz

Thanks for all of the information guys! I tried that VIN site but nothing about the air bag senors being recalled came up.

Since I posted this thread the sensors have stayed off and nothing has appeared on the DIC. I don't really want to take it to the dealer until it actually is a problem because most the time I end up going there and they cannot replicate the problem.

I am wondering how much this could possibly cost to repair? Anyone possibly know?
Old 08-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #8
sene

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInVegas View Post
I had that problem. Took it to the dealer and it turned out there was a loose connector.

When I had that problem, I called OnStar to see if there was any way to disable the bell that kept going off. They said to just take it to a dealer and have them fix it. Its 9am on a Sunday, what dealer has service dept hours on a Sunday? Useless! I had to drive from San Diego to Las Vegas with that bell going off every couple minutes.
How is this an issue with Onstar?!
sene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:26 PM   #9
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
mine was covered under warranty. If you fiddle with the passenger seat again can you make it come back on?
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #10
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
If fiddling with pass seat stops it, that's obviously where the system is located. I know on older model cars, they were below the pass or driver side seat. It's a silver box. I'm guessing that's the air bags brain. It's beneath the carpet. But I'm sure there's a slot in the carpet to access it. Maybe you can check and see if there's a loose connection? I don't have my service manuals with me on how to access it.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:36 AM   #11
camarozzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVA 45TH 2SS View Post
mine was covered under warranty. If you fiddle with the passenger seat again can you make it come back on?
Turns out that it is exactly that. If I have a passenger and they sit in the seat in a "particular" way then the service air bag warning goes off - just noticed it this morning. No passenger and I get no warning. So it has to be a loose cable I am guessing? It doesn't go off every time, only if they sit in a certain way it seems.

Ya I am missing my service manual too. When I get a chance I will take a look at it at around noon. I am hoping this is a easy fix! Thanks for the information!
Old 08-27-2014, 12:38 PM   #12
DeanCamaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
If fiddling with pass seat stops it, that's obviously where the system is located. I know on older model cars, they were below the pass or driver side seat. It's a silver box. I'm guessing that's the air bags brain. It's beneath the carpet. But I'm sure there's a slot in the carpet to access it. Maybe you can check and see if there's a loose connection? I don't have my service manuals with me on how to access it.
The SDM(the silver box you're referring too) is actually located underneath the center console. More than likely it is a passenger occupancy sensor. That's what it sounds like.
DeanCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #13
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCamaro View Post
The SDM(the silver box you're referring too) is actually located underneath the center console. More than likely it is a passenger occupancy sensor. That's what it sounds like.
True, thats a very good possibility. Maybe the connection to the seat is loose? Dealership can look into it.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote