Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 06-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #29
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
"miss shifts probably worth .5 sec"

That I have a problem with.

But clearly a win for the ZL1 (they hands down liked it better around the track).
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #30
Betiwin

Drives: CTS-V Coupe and GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Wanna play "percentages"?

ZL1 = 7.10 lb/hp

500 = 5.77 lb/hp

24.6% DISADVANTAGE

Here's a couple more:

ZL1 = 52/48 weight distribution

500 = 57/43...

Damn straight, "bravo to the [C]amaro engineering crew"

End of story...
I don't think you can call it end of story. From a perspective buyer of both where I would lok at it the camaro EKKKS out a victory on a 2.12 mile course. Where I would race these cars and the real 99 percent of what people do(Drag strip, 50mph roll down a highway, stop light to stop light, the camaro get owned not eeked by. What I take away reading this and the inside line review is how the ZL1 responds to the driver. What I need to know is if I will feel that drving down a winding country road with my friends in a GT500 and a Challenger SRT 8. He sure did seem to love the planted feel of the Z, I just dont know if I will feel that as I never encounter a hair pin turn or a change in evlavtion when the guy next to me pulls up to me revving his engine. Look foward to the day three review as that what will be important to me. Day 2 I would imagine will go to the blue team.
Betiwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #31
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Wow - impressive review of the ZL1. It's interesting that one head-to-head review says the GT500 has shifting problems, and this review says the ZL1 has shifting problems.

I also didn't hear anything about brake fade, which was problem in the Boss vs ZL1 review last year.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #32
Mr.R

Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
[QUOTE=A-little-perspective;5152544]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgl View Post

Don't forget to account for intagible costs of ownership. That would be value lost from the ZL1.
I'm not sure what you're referring toin particular....can you explain?

I totally agree with the point made before - if you put the $5,000 difference back into the ZL1 as engine performance parts(which by the way is more like $8000 if you compare apples to apples - options) then you easily get a 650hp/630lb ft ZL1 which will beat the crap out of the Shelby. Handling is a huge difference for the 95% of the buyers that won't drag race it...
Mr.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #33
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-little-perspective View Post
"I wanted the ZL1 to win, because from an on-track handling perspective the car is simply leagues ahead of the clumsy GT500. "

Ok call it a win. But why oh why would someone go on record as saying they wanted another car to win a comparison. That taints the entire premise of the article. The comparison is not objective now.
I don't think he meant it the way it sounded. I think as he was driving the Camaro he was appreciating how much better it handled the track, but was expecting it would loose because of the missed shifts. Obviously he was suprised that it won anyway.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #34
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Nice article.

I like the driver/author wrote that going into the first turn with the ZL1...... he began to smile. To me, that's what these cars are supposed to do!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #35
rez333

I've read that the Griggs Racing suspension will tame the GT500's live rear axle and will literally enable GT500s to outcorner Ferraris. It's a proper racing upgrade though, which is probably why Ford didn't go that route instead of slapping on the Bilsteins and calling it a day.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #36
C5RocksC5
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
All this bench racing is hilarious. Most of you guys will never see a roadcourse and the few who track, the ZL1 is a clear winner. We will be driving in the street everyday and guess what, I doubt we will be thumping our chest when a GT500 pulls up next to us. Likely, we won't even look at it and pretend it isn't there.
C5RocksC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #37
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
"I wanted the ZL1 to win, because from an on-track handling perspective the car is simply leagues ahead of the clumsy GT500. "

Ok call it a win. But why oh why would someone go on record as saying they wanted another car to win a comparison. That taints the entire premise of the article. The comparison is not objective now.
He didn't go in feeling that way. Reread it and you'll see he assumes the ZL1 the underdog due to the power advantage of the GT500, but is highly delighted with the ZL1's handling prowess that far surpasses the GT500's. Because the ZL1 feels so much more rewarding to drive he hopes that the underdog will outperform the less rewarding to drive GT500.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #38
Betiwin

Drives: CTS-V Coupe and GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdari View Post
All this bench racing is hilarious. Most of you guys will never see a roadcourse and the few who track, the ZL1 is a clear winner. We will be driving in the street everyday and guess what, I doubt we will be thumping our chest when a GT500 pulls up next to us. Likely, we won't even look at it and pretend it isn't there.

Although reading the review makes me want to go drive a Zl1 and see if I can feel this translate into "real world driving." I ve owned alot of 500+HP cars raced them all, but never on a road course. The article does make me want to see if I can feel what he was smiling about. But it goes with out saying tho I dont want to be frowning everytime I get smoked on the street tho. Both of these things are amazing to me tho.
Betiwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #39
A-little-perspective

Drives: 2011 C63
[QUOTE=Mr.R;5152605]
Quote:

I'm not sure what you're referring toin particular....can you explain?

I totally agree with the point made before - if you put the $5,000 difference back into the ZL1 as engine performance parts(which by the way is more like $8000 if you compare apples to apples - options) then you easily get a 650hp/630lb ft ZL1 which will beat the crap out of the Shelby. Handling is a huge difference for the 95% of the buyers that won't drag race it...
I guess probably both tangible and intangible costs. Costs such as warranty, repair, maintenance, fuel economy. Stuff no one cares about but still costs money and still has value.
A-little-perspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #40
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betiwin View Post
I don't think you can call it end of story. From a perspective buyer of both where I would lok at it the camaro EKKKS out a victory on a 2.12 mile course. Where I would race these cars and the real 99 percent of what people do(Drag strip, 50mph roll down a highway, stop light to stop light, the camaro get owned not eeked by. What I take away reading this and the inside line review is how the ZL1 responds to the driver. What I need to know is if I will feel that drving down a winding country road with my friends in a GT500 and a Challenger SRT 8. He sure did seem to love the planted feel of the Z, I just dont know if I will feel that as I never encounter a hair pin turn or a change in evlavtion when the guy next to me pulls up to me revving his engine. Look foward to the day three review as that what will be important to me. Day 2 I would imagine will go to the blue team.
Then buy a Gt500 no reasonable car guy will fault you. On the other hand this review tells me what I want to hear. I'm all about the feel of a car, not just the brute force. But then again 580HP is nothing to sneeze about
Old 06-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #41
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

[QUOTE=A-little-perspective;5152544]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgl View Post

Don't forget to account for intagible costs of ownership. That would be value lost from the ZL1.
???
Old 06-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #42
hognutz

[QUOTE=A-little-perspective;5152670]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post

I guess probably both tangible and intangible costs. Costs such as warranty, repair, maintenance, fuel economy. Stuff no one cares about but still costs money and still has value.
yeah you could save between $150-$200 a year on fuel. but what other data are you really bringing to the table? the waranty is not better so repairs don't figure in. how is the cost of maintence better?

I wanted the PP GT500.

So at that rate It would take me 17years to recoupe the cost of PP car over what my ZL1 is costing.

my ZL1 is costing me 55k the PP car the best deal I could find was 58,450.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote