Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-14-2013, 02:16 AM   #1
chicagobulls
one car wolfpack

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6
I would like to share a tip.

Just learned that instead of using precious detail spray or waterless wash you can use soap and water as lubricant for your clay. ...........

Why has no one told me this?
chicagobulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:35 AM   #2
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Yea lol you can

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:41 AM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
When I want to strip everything, I dawn wash the car. With suds on the car is when I clay too. Anything that makes the clay glide works. Rinse, and go right to polishing with the car wet too.....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
When I want to strip everything, I dawn wash the car. With suds on the car is when I clay too. Anything that makes the clay glide works. Rinse, and go right to polishing with the car wet too.....
Agreed. I do the same thing, but will wash one more time then dry before polishing.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
You must've had very little claying left to do, because soap/water will break down the clay after a little while.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
You must've had very little claying left to do, because soap/water will break down the clay after a little while.
+1. Soap and water can work in a pinch but shouldn't be your first choice IMO

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
Glen e

Quote:
I use a nanosponge or prep towel - another reason to move to that...

but for years I used griots clay, (properly rinsed afterwards), with Dawn and never saw any breakdown....
Old 06-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Drives: 2011 IOM 1LT RS M6
So I read before that soap water was not good for claying, now it is? Confuse here???
Monchy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #9
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monchy36 View Post
So I read before that soap water was not good for claying, now it is? Confuse here???
Its still not. It WILL work, but its not the best idea IMO

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
Glen e

Interesting discussion:

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...clay-lube.html
Old 06-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #11
family man

Drives: .
"Precious" detail spray?
family man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #12
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Quote:
I use a nanosponge or prep towel - another reason to move to that...

but for years I used griots clay, (properly rinsed afterwards), with Dawn and never saw any breakdown....
I tried those rubbery surfaced clay alternatives (the towel, the sponge, the autoscrub) and TBH, I dunno if I was doing something wrong, but they all left marring on any creases in the body work for me. Not on flat surfaces - just on creases. And when I mean marring, I don't mean scratches or swirls, I mean it began to fade the paint in those areas a bit as though I was rubbing an extremely fine sandpaper on them. You could see the pits of the orange peel. I had to follow them up w/ a polish.

The only thing I've noticed that really gives my paint the advertised "glass" feel with little to no scratches is a traditional blue claybar. Sure, it takes forever but it's just what I like to do. *Shrug.* You can get a better feel of the contamination with a traditional claybar too.

Odds are, you're going to mar your paint or scratch somewhere when using any mechanical decon method whether it's the sponge/towel or a claybar, because sometimes you really do gotta bear down hard with whatever you're using to get stubbon contamination out, which substantially raises your risk of scratching. But to think that with the sponge and towel; that the grit pretty much has nowhere to go but stay directly under the rubbery surface, is downright nauseating. At least with clay, there's a chance the grit will eventually sink into the clay where it can't scratch the paint.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #13
Glen e

Quote:
I tried those rubbery surfaced clay alternatives (the towel, the sponge, the autoscrub) and TBH, I dunno if I was doing something wrong, but they all left marring on any creases in the body work for me. Not on flat surfaces - just on creases. And when I mean marring, I don't mean scratches or swirls, I mean it began to fade the paint in those areas a bit as though I was rubbing an extremely fine sandpaper on them. You could see the pits of the orange peel. I had to follow them up w/ a polish.

The only thing I've noticed that really gives my paint the advertised "glass" feel with little to no scratches is a traditional blue claybar. Sure, it takes forever but it's just what I like to do. *Shrug.* You can get a better feel of the contamination with a traditional claybar too.

Odds are, you're going to mar your paint or scratch somewhere when using any mechanical decon method whether it's the sponge/towel or a claybar, because sometimes you really do gotta bear down hard with whatever you're using to get stubbon contamination out, which substantially raises your risk of scratching. But to think that with the sponge and towel; that the grit pretty much has nowhere to go but stay directly under the rubbery surface, is downright nauseating. At least with clay, there's a chance the grit will eventually sink into the clay where it can't scratch the paint.
I always seem to be in the minority here...LOL - Oh well, my lot in life.

We certainly have two diff levels here: hobbyists and prof detailers. As a prof detailer many times I would make a decision that is not the same as a DD hobbyist.

Now as a hobbyist, I have never seen any of the above creasing or marring with either the sponge or the speedy prep towl. Just a good clean base from which to start detailing. I don't use soap as I have plenty of waterless, but for someone that is cleaning/detailing his DD and claying like twice a year, I'm sure the saop is fine. I'll never use clay again after discovering the elastomeric products, particularly the speedy towel...
Old 06-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #14
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Quote:
I always seem to be in the minority here...LOL - Oh well, my lot in life.

We certainly have two diff levels here: hobbyists and prof detailers. As a prof detailer many times I would make a decision that is not the same as a DD hobbyist.

Now as a hobbyist, I have never seen any of the above creasing or marring with either the sponge or the speedy prep towl. Just a good clean base from which to start detailing. I don't use soap as I have plenty of waterless, but for someone that is cleaning/detailing his DD and claying like twice a year, I'm sure the saop is fine. I'll never use clay again after discovering the elastomeric products, particularly the speedy towel...
To each his own. I'm glad those products work for you! But for me, they mar creases in my paint, and I've used multiple types to confirm that result, and for me, soap/water started to break my clay apart around an hour after continuous use. It could be my technique... and who knows, could be my paint. We dabble in a hobby where variation and inconsistency is the nature of the game.

I've always said I'm old-fashioned for my age, even when it comes to detailing products, it seems.