Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-21-2015, 11:30 AM   #1
Retro69

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Well I'll Never Buy a New Car Again If This Happens!

http://jalopnik.com/carmakers-want-t...eca-1699132210

Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
The CEO at Ford made a statement recently that they'd rather not have a user-accessible engine bay on their vehicles, that all servicing and maintenance should be done only by authorized repair centers.

Bah.

Hello and welcome to the United Oligarchy of America where mechanical curiosity and self-reliance are feared.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:37 AM   #3
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
I don't think this is all that new. I heard something about this last year. I doubt anything like this would go through. The aftermarket is nearly as big as the auto makers themselves. Also do you think all the auto mechanic shops could deal with the influx of all these people bringing in their cars?
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #4
flamandj
I love me some Chevy's!

Drives: 14 2SS/RS ,14 BMW X3 ,02LR Disco 2
That is bull!!!! and craziness

I hope this does not happen!!!
Old 04-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
Beardface

Drives: '11 topless 2LT RS & '05 Altima SER
Good luck with that

Mobile providers already tried that with the SmartPhone market, trying to get the courts to say that rooting an Android device or jailbreaking an Apple device would be illegal. The courts weren't having any of it.

A precedence has already been set, so this is an uphill battle all the way for the auto makers if they go down this path That being said, if what happened in the smartphone industry is any indication of what's coming ahead, the automakers will make it damn near impossible for people to legally hack into and modify the ECU, essentially eliminating the possibility of modding your cars going forward.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:56 AM   #6
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
It's not likely to happen for a long, long, time. Americans love cars, and one reason is because we can FIX our cars, mod our cars, tinker, maintain, and alter our cars. To take THAT away would be a radical change to our culture, not one that will happen without a fight.

They can have my automotive tinkering when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:01 PM   #7
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardface View Post
Good luck with that

Mobile providers already tried that with the SmartPhone market, trying to get the courts to say that rooting an Android device or jailbreaking an Apple device would be illegal. The courts weren't having any of it.

A precedence has already been set, so this is an uphill battle all the way for the auto makers if they go down this path That being said, if what happened in the smartphone industry is any indication of what's coming ahead, the automakers will make it damn near impossible for people to legally hack into and modify the ECU, essentially eliminating the possibility of modding your cars going forward.
Until aftermarket ECU's are manufactured and sold.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:01 PM   #8
Retro69

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
They can have my automotive tinkering when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.
Amen brother!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:02 PM   #9
LOBBS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardface View Post
Good luck with that

Being an Android enthusiast and developer myself there are few devices where an exploit isn't eventually found so that root access can be granted. I'll propose the same argument here for autos as I have for those devices. Once we have made the choice to root our respective system, we've consciously made the choice to forgo our applicable warranties. The OEMs should respect that decision because it is ultimately our property and they are no longer on the hook for the consequences of said decision.
LOBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:02 PM   #10
Cam_Cam

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
The very first comment (second post) here took this thread from a sensible conversation to a tin foil hat conspiracy in about 5 seconds.

This is most likely laying the framework for eventual laws that will be necessary for autonomous cars. Cars are, for better or for worse, controlled more and more by CPU's every day. Sorry if I don't want some random gear head reprogramming the incredibly complex computer systems that run a car. There are safety issues involved.

This proposal wouldn't prohibit you from working on your car, it would be designed to prevent you from tinkering with incredibly complex computer systems that most of us don't understand.

I don't think it will pass either, but lets not blow it up into something it isn't. They aren't going to make your engine bay inaccessible. You're not going to need an iris scanner and 3 forms of ID to change your own oil.
Cam_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:03 PM   #11
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
Now... the end could be near... I want no part of it, i paid for the car.. Nuff Said...

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:06 PM   #12
Cam_Cam

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
And stop comparing jailbreaking your stupid iPhone to "jailbreaking" an automobile. If you jailbreak an iPhone, the worst you can do is ruin YOUR phone. If you jailbreak a car and **** up the code, you're now driving a 3,000 lb death missile that could easily kill other people because you thought you were a computer programmer.
Cam_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:10 PM   #13
rimhof

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Until aftermarket ECU's are manufactured and sold.
Exactly. If the aftermarket can't modify the factory ECU then they will just replace them with their own. Back in high school I had an old Saturn that we did this with because the one in the car was fried. Just got another from a junker. Really not that big of a change.
rimhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:13 PM   #14
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam_Cam View Post
The very first comment (second post) here took this thread from a sensible conversation to a tin foil hat conspiracy in about 5 seconds.

This is most likely laying the framework for eventual laws that will be necessary for autonomous cars. Cars are, for better or for worse, controlled more and more by CPU's every day. Sorry if I don't want some random gear head reprogramming the incredibly complex computer systems that run a car. There are safety issues involved.

This proposal wouldn't prohibit you from working on your car, it would be designed to prevent you from tinkering with incredibly complex computer systems that most of us don't understand.

I don't think it will pass either, but lets not blow it up into something it isn't. They aren't going to make your engine bay inaccessible. You're not going to need an iris scanner and 3 forms of ID to change your own oil.
1. I'm a real person, you can address me, and no, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. Large automakers are lobbying to make this happen. That is real.

2. If you don't want someone else programming your ECU or other systems, then don't have it done. Period.

3. Not that complex, if you work in the industry. But it means trading self-reliance and cheaper maintenance costs in terms of simple maintenance if the dealer and/or only authorized service centers are able to service the vehicle.

Autonomous vehicles are a problem in themself. On another forum, there was a great thread discussing this and the gist is how "because a computer can do it better" is not reason alone for replacing a human behind the wheel. To some of us, driving is still an art, and we don't welcome the idea of self-driving vehicles or being further disconnected from the road than we already are.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote