Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-02-2018, 04:55 PM   #1
skongolf

Drives: 2011 2SS RS Black Vert
2011 SS Pads without Rollers

I have a 2011 2SS Vert With Brembo brakes and need new pads soon. Reading through previous posts I see a lot of people recommending OEM AC Delco pads and rotors. But when I go to the AC Delco website to get the numbers they all show a pic of pads with rollers. I cant have rollers due to my Niche Wheels. My current pads do not have the rollers on them right now. Just curious what the part number may be. I did find this number, 17D1053M but I am not sure if they will work with the Brembos. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
skongolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:11 PM   #2
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Just cut the rollers off
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
skongolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
Just cut the rollers off
I thought about that, I would rather just buy pads without the rollers. The ones that are in there now dont have them and I can see they were not cut off. Just dont want to pull them out to check a part number.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #4
14ssrs6man

Drives: Summit White 2014 2SS/RS 6spd
Try these...

Akebono Performance Ultra-Premium Ceramic Disc Brake Pads
Part #: ASP1053
Old 04-03-2018, 01:24 PM   #5
skongolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ssrs6man View Post
Try these...

Akebono Performance Ultra-Premium Ceramic Disc Brake Pads
Part #: ASP1053
I saw those. How are they in regards to noise? I know on some posts that people said ceramic were loud and that is was best to go OEM. Just curious.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:47 PM   #6
str8wick3d

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
It is very simple to cut off the roller skates. Just a grinder and to make the cut and then just take some good grips and go back and forth and they break right off. I have a video of me cutting off mine if you want to see how easy.
str8wick3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:06 PM   #7
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by skongolf View Post
I saw those. How are they in regards to noise? I know on some posts that people said ceramic were loud and that is was best to go OEM. Just curious.
brake squeaking comes from vibration. Thats it. The skates that GM began using shortly after the 5th gens went into production was because there was major squeaking complaints when the cars first came out.

you may get away by using teflon shims on the backplate of the pads if you're going with the FMSI 1053 pads

Hope that helps.

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:22 PM   #8
14ssrs6man

Drives: Summit White 2014 2SS/RS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by skongolf View Post

I have not used these but have heard good things... as far as noise... I put the Z26 PowerStop kit on my car last year, love them! At the end of the year, I had some squealing when cold (approx. 1500 miles). I took out and did the burnishing procedure again, multiple hard "almost" stops then cool down... no more noise. The pad material builds up on rotors (causing squeal) unless you are using hard and often, cleans up doing the burnishing procedure. Virtually no dust with these either!
Old 04-04-2018, 06:27 PM   #9
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
FWIW, i used to have the Centric STOPTECH setup on my car. XDrilled and Slotted rotors and the 309 performance pads. I used to work for a distributor many eons ago and when the 5th Gens first came out, i was one of the first to get one and the reps gave me a free set to test

The pads are no good for street use. They are track pads. Need to be heated up.

Wont discuss the rotors since you're not looking for rotor info

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:08 PM   #10
skongolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8wick3d View Post
It is very simple to cut off the roller skates. Just a grinder and to make the cut and then just take some good grips and go back and forth and they break right off. I have a video of me cutting off mine if you want to see how easy.
If you could post the video, that would be great.