Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-05-2016, 10:50 AM   #15
chuckie669

Drives: 2011 ss
I can't say how jealous i am of your talent. This would be amazing to do and it seems like you just switch it up every few months.

Car looks great.
chuckie669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:56 AM   #16
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
Do you have a shop? I see you are near me. I may do a dip next year, as i just spent my budget for this year having to replace my engine and rear this week :(

In our climate, how long should i expect it to last? What about love bugs?

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:09 PM   #17
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by baum View Post
looks good!

how much time to you spend each time you dip your car? peel off the old, prep, re-dip?

not to mention each time you dip how much in dip do you spend?
This last one took me longer than all the others. Peeling, which normally takes me a couple hours max took me over 4 hours with the grey. I attribute it to using unthinned plasti dip and thinning it with just xylene the last time making it thinner than expected. Id say with peeling, prep, and spraying I put in 10 hours. I was done spraying at about 4pm on Saturday but had to let it sit overnight and started unmasking around 9am Sunday and was ready to pull out the garage little after 10.

In the past, I have been able to peel, prep, spray, dry, unmask, and drive off in less than 7 hours. If a car doesn't need peeled and I am using standard dip products, I can have it done in 5-6 hours max when everything goes the right way.

This dip cost me around 700 in supplies I believe and this the most I've ever spent. Was way too much but I wanted to test out a new product that isn't cheap. Normally I have extra dip laying around from other cars I've done and can use it. Any other dip I've done hasn't been more than 300-350bucks total. The purple as well as the 2nd blue I did was at no cost for material at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IneedAZ View Post
Do you have a shop? I see you are near me. I may do a dip next year, as i just spent my budget for this year having to replace my engine and rear this week :(

In our climate, how long should i expect it to last? What about love bugs?
I have access to a shop as well as actual paint booth but have only used them a couple times. I normally just shoot from my garage if its going to be something simple for me that doesn't require being completely closed off from the elements.

It will last as long as you take care of it really. The longest I've had someone keep their dip on was 2 years. It was a black Range Rover I sprayed pearl white. Dip was in perfect shape, he was just not really taking care of it and the white didn't look as great after 2 years of being outside every single day and not being washed often. You'll have no problems with the bugs. The only serious issue you could have out of your control would be that orange/yellow pollen stuff or whatever it is that falls out of the sky. It stains dip and is very visible on light cars. It did my white dip job in pretty bad.
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:15 PM   #18
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytown87 View Post
This last one took me longer than all the others. Peeling, which normally takes me a couple hours max took me over 4 hours with the grey. I attribute it to using unthinned plasti dip and thinning it with just xylene the last time making it thinner than expected. Id say with peeling, prep, and spraying I put in 10 hours. I was done spraying at about 4pm on Saturday but had to let it sit overnight and started unmasking around 9am Sunday and was ready to pull out the garage little after 10.

In the past, I have been able to peel, prep, spray, dry, unmask, and drive off in less than 7 hours. If a car doesn't need peeled and I am using standard dip products, I can have it done in 5-6 hours max when everything goes the right way.

This dip cost me around 700 in supplies I believe and this the most I've ever spent. Was way too much but I wanted to test out a new product that isn't cheap. Normally I have extra dip laying around from other cars I've done and can use it. Any other dip I've done hasn't been more than 300-350bucks total. The purple as well as the 2nd blue I did was at no cost for material at all.

I have access to a shop as well as actual paint booth but have only used them a couple times. I normally just shoot from my garage if its going to be something simple for me that doesn't require being completely closed off from the elements.

It will last as long as you take care of it really. The longest I've had someone keep their dip on was 2 years. It was a black Range Rover I sprayed pearl white. Dip was in perfect shape, he was just not really taking care of it and the white didn't look as great after 2 years of being outside every single day and not being washed often. You'll have no problems with the bugs. The only serious issue you could have out of your control would be that orange/yellow pollen stuff or whatever it is that falls out of the sky. It stains dip and is very visible on light cars. It did my white dip job in pretty bad.
I am thinking of blue again, or perhaps 2 colors. Can u pm what kind of pricing it is? Doesn't have to be exact, but just so i have an idea.

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:16 PM   #19
ytown87

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
I can't say how jealous i am of your talent. This would be amazing to do and it seems like you just switch it up every few months.

Car looks great.
Honestly....I only started doing it myself when I got quoted 900 for my first job from a shop and saw that materials plus equipment would cost me much less. Allz you gotta do is buy a little equipment and some dip and give it a shot. That's all I did. First job was not great at all. It took a while to figure it out. It was more of a hobby/skill I just wanted to be able to do and I had a friend who also wanted to learn. We started off on our Camaros as well as motorcycles and his other cars. Then I had a few friends that paid for their dip and let me work on their cars. I also had someone come over one day and teach me better skills on how to mask and prep. As much as I've changed mine I'd probably be close to 5000 if I paid someone else to have done them all. Over 2 years I've maybe spent 1500-2000 if that. Plus theres always another color I wana try...
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:04 PM   #20
KGoddard

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Definitely going to print this out and put in my girlfriends face next time she tells me I'm a jerk. No babe...IM AN INSPIRATION! lol thanks!

also...thank you so much for being one of the very few people left in existence that know how to use your and you're. You're a grammatical hero!

May have to nickname the car the Georgia Peach for a little
What's your Instagram account? All the colors you do give me ideas for my car may have to buy my own sprayer and try this out

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2016, 03:10 PM   #21
ytown87

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGoddard View Post
What's your Instagram account? All the colors you do give me ideas for my car may have to buy my own sprayer and try this out

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Check the B-Dipped instagram. When it comes to colors, the possibilities are honestly endless. Check kppigments.com didspade.com dipyourcar.com hawkeyebrothers.com as other sites to go through what kind of solid colors and pearls are available. Also check out the dipyourcar YouTube channel
Old 10-06-2016, 01:25 PM   #22
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
You must really confuse the crap out of people driving in the local area. Must feel like playing one of those games where you drive through the respray station to avoid the cops, lol.

Looks good.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:27 PM   #23
ytown87

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
You must really confuse the crap out of people driving in the local area. Must feel like playing one of those games where you drive through the respray station to avoid the cops, lol.

Looks good.
the first thing people usually bring out is how it could be used for things like that haha. then the other half of people think I have purchased a different Camaro multiple times.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:01 AM   #24
KGoddard

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Check the B-Dipped instagram. When it comes to colors, the possibilities are honestly endless. Check kppigments.com didspade.com dipyourcar.com hawkeyebrothers.com as other sites to go through what kind of solid colors and pearls are available. Also check out the dipyourcar YouTube channel
So I have been looking into doing this. Ive got a few questions for you... If I were to spray in my garage does the dip overspray get on everything? Is the HaloEFX and the PlastiDip DipPearl TopCoat the same thing? I would want more of a glossy finish. How many gallons do you usually use for the base and for the pearl?
Old 10-09-2016, 01:19 PM   #25
jc615
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro and Sierra
Looks good as usual
jc615 is offline   Reply With Quote