Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-09-2019, 07:46 PM   #1
neil4374

Drives: Camaro SS 2011 L99
Smile Loose belt!

I was under the hood preparing my car for its winter storage whn I noticed one of the belts and the circular thing it goes round(a bit mechanically stupid) seemed loose and wobbling a little. I looked at the other belts and there round things and they were all secured with a center belt. Looking at the wobbly belt, theres no bolt. Please can somebody look at the photos and confirm I am right. sorry they are the best shots I could get.
Is this a simple fix at a local garage?
The belt is the front right side of the engine cover.
Thanks
Does anybody know the bolt specifications?
Attached Images

Last edited by neil4374; 12-09-2019 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Forgot a question!
neil4374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:29 AM   #2
neil4374

I can’t take it to my local Chevy dealer as they won’t work on my car as it’s an import!
Old 12-10-2019, 05:39 AM   #3
neil4374

I found this photo of another engine but the same as mine.
As you can see there is no bolt and mine looks the same.
Maybe there isn’t a bolt. But is the slight wobble ok. When I say a wobble it’s slight
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2019, 07:30 AM   #4
Gordy87

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Thats the power steering pump pulley. It's pressed onto a tapered shaft. It could be working its way loose, or could just be slightly bent. The center is threaded and they make a special tool that pulls/presses it on and off. May be something you might find over there to borrow from someone. Just make sure you get the correct thread and not damage anything. Also you might inspect the weld around center to make sure that its not cracked or breaking loose. Hope you get it sorted out.
Gordy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:13 AM   #5
neil4374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy87 View Post
Thats the power steering pump pulley. It's pressed onto a tapered shaft. It could be working its way loose, or could just be slightly bent. The center is threaded and they make a special tool that pulls/presses it on and off. May be something you might find over there to borrow from someone. Just make sure you get the correct thread and not damage anything. Also you might inspect the weld around center to make sure that its not cracked or breaking loose. Hope you get it sorted out.
Thanks for taking the time to explain.
I was thinking of seeing if it feels loose with my hands. If it doesn’t feel loose it And it’s bent as you suggested Is it something that needs replacing?
Old 12-10-2019, 09:55 AM   #6
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Also you might inspect the weld around center to make sure that its not cracked or breaking loose.
What he said^^^^

It looks cracked in the photo to me. Is it making any noise? A video would help us to figure out what's going on too.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:29 PM   #7
Gordy87

Inspect the sides of the belt good. Like the thin edge, or if you can get a close up pic to see if its been rubbing any. Its definately something to keep an eye on, but I would say if the belt isnt rubbing the sides and it still feels tight, you may buy some time on it. BUT JUST KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON IT. As stated, if you can get a video, that will help. Also try to wiggle it with just your hand, w/o the car running of course, JUST STATING THAT FOR LIABILITY REASONS, and see if it seems to move around that welded area, or it it actually moves on the taper hub.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:39 PM   #8
neil4374

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
What he said^^^^

It looks cracked in the photo to me. Is it making any noise? A video would help us to figure out what's going on too.
Thanks
Old 12-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #9
neil4374

Quote:
Inspect the sides of the belt good. Like the thin edge, or if you can get a close up pic to see if its been rubbing any. Its definately something to keep an eye on, but I would say if the belt isnt rubbing the sides and it still feels tight, you may buy some time on it. BUT JUST KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON IT. As stated, if you can get a video, that will help. Also try to wiggle it with just your hand, w/o the car running of course, JUST STATING THAT FOR LIABILITY REASONS, and see if it seems to move around that welded area, or it it actually moves on the taper hub.
Thanks. I will inspect and try move it. With the car not running! Also I will make a video
Old 12-10-2019, 04:34 PM   #10
gsxrturbo

Drives: 2010 ss
looks cracked to me to
gsxrturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #11
neil4374

Thanks
Old 12-10-2019, 06:31 PM   #12
neil4374

So after taking you guys advice I tried to see if the pulley was loose. It wouldnt move at all. I could see in the picture yesterday the crack or what looked to be.
Today I removed the air box pipe so I could take a video and have a better look. It didnt look cracked to me. The video only shows a slight wobble and I wonder if its my eyes!
Please take a look at the photos and videos and any feedback will be really appreciated.

Attached Images

Old 12-11-2019, 08:52 AM   #13
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
It's hard for me to see the issue in the videos. I would recommend removing the belt, then rocking the pulley back and forth (front to back) to see if there is any play between it and the shaft. With the belt off, there will not be any tension on the pulley, so it should be easier to test for looseness.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:39 AM   #14
Gordy87

It looks as if it may be only very slightly bent if any. Did you just notice this, ir did you have some sort of issue that brought it to light? If you look at the side of your CAI coupling there, do you see how the little white fibers are hanging out some from the rubber? Does the side of the belt happen to look like this? That would be a sign that the belt is rubbing against the side of one of the pulleys that have the raised ridge, but bay not necessarily be the PS pulley though.