Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #1
kravmaga79

Drives: 2015 2ls
expel or 3m clear protectant

hey guys just got my new camaro and wondering if anyone has tried or thinks those clear films are worth putting on a camaro for stone chips and bug accumulations.
if so where?
Im told the plastic bumpers dont reallly require it since stones are less likely to chip paint off a plastic bumper. it might still help with bugs but not sure.??

So if only metal parts need it then the dealer recommends the top leading edge of roofline. the fron 1/3 of the hood
the sides of fenders, the key/door handle area, headlite covers and rocker panels
For this and the bumper they want about $1000

to add in more on doors and fenders to protect against parking lot door dingys they want another $1000.
i checked around and independent dealers quote about 15% less
even this still seems expensive

ps; i am already pissed at how the weather has affected the finish.
a big windy storm blew tons of pine needles from hundreds of feet away now my car if covered in sap and pine needles.
kravmaga79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:18 PM   #2
ichriscamaro
BlueDiamond

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE RRM
I have Xpel on my front bumper and gills area. Love this product and worth the investment. My older Camaro did not have it and the damage caused by rock chips on the front plastic bumper was brutal so I would definitely invest on doing the front bumper at least. I paid around 500 and change to get the front covered. Gills area 120. Good luck bud!
ichriscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:47 PM   #3
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
definitely worth it. I have the whole front of the car covered...front, hood, front qtr panels, A-pillars, side mirrors. She's like a tank on the interstate now... not scared of no stinkin rock, bring it.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:05 PM   #4
kravmaga79

Which brand name did you guys get and which quality level?

3m has ;
venture, lowest
Scotchguard medium
Scotchguard pro

has anyone tried installing it their self?

ive tried window tint before and it was a disatrous waste of money since it was so difficult to install properly without bubble or crinkles cuz it was massively static electrically charged and imp[ossible for one person to handle.

What car is that in the advert? drool drool
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...rd-Pro-Series/
Old 10-12-2015, 05:07 PM   #5
DBHWT

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
I'm very happy w/my XPEL......not the cheapest....but seems to work
DBHWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:14 PM   #6
p3jason
Allergic to stupid.

Drives: 2015 ZL1 #957 M6 AGM & 1990 Z24
Send a message via Yahoo to p3jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by kravmaga79 View Post
Which brand name did you guys get and which quality level?

3m has ;
venture, lowest
Scotchguard medium
Scotchguard pro

has anyone tried installing it their self?

ive tried window tint before and it was a disatrous waste of money since it was so difficult to install properly without bubble or crinkles cuz it was massively static electrically charged and imp[ossible for one person to handle.

What car is that in the advert? drool drool
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...rd-Pro-Series/
I have Xpel Ultimate on mine. It is expensive, but not as much as a quality repaint. Do not try to install this stuff yourself. The labor charge is well worth the quality install you will get and the pain and disappointment you'll save by letting a pro do it.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:14 PM   #7
Ruebernard

Drives: 2017 GRT 2SS/RS M6 Vert
Worth every cent! One of the best mods for the money. Make sure you have the mirrors done too. Not sure I would tackle it by myself but I suppose if you have the space and the tools and LOTS of patience you can do it. Expel won't crinkle up and give you static cling problems because it's heavier than a window tint. Besides, you wet the surface of the vehicle and the back of the film to install. This lubrication makes it easier to adjust and manipulate into position. You can order it in precut sections..... Again it's not cheap but think of the paint you're protecting. Oh, one last thing....if you have matte stripes on your car, you will want to trim the expel away from them as they will be shiny if covered.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:56 PM   #8
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
I have xpel on my front bumper and up to the hood opening, mirrors, and gills. Very happy with it. Has been on nearly two years and after taking several long road trips there is still nary a chip to be found. Getting a competent professional to install it is mandatory in my opinion. I wouldn't ever consider trying it myself.
SS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:05 PM   #9
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3jason View Post
I have Xpel Ultimate on mine. It is expensive, but not as much as a quality repaint. Do not try to install this stuff yourself. The labor charge is well worth the quality install you will get and the pain and disappointment you'll save by letting a pro do it.
Just get the Xpel Ultimate. Worth the money. Love my setup.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:15 PM   #10
kravmaga79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Lover View Post
Just get the Xpel Ultimate. Worth the money. Love my setup.
hey thanks guys i would love to cover as much of my car as possible to prevent bugs stone chips and door dingys from jerks who care not for their car let alone yours

but keep in mind im a poor student whose surprised he was even approved for credit

so even though i have a great low monthly payment interest free,
insurance alone is equal to another 3rd of my monthly payment never mind gas and tires/wheels i need for winter.

just trying to figure how much coverage helps a camaro since alot of its leading edges are very oblique or is it acute....and not likely to chip anyways, like hood, roofline and maybe bumper since its plastic

so far looks like everyone is all for it just gotta narrow down the bare minimum i can afford to most essential panels and which quality level to go for
Old 10-12-2015, 09:21 PM   #11
cbravoSS

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
I had Expel Ultimate put on the front bumper and gill area, mirrors and lens covers for the headlights, fog lights, blinkers and side markers. You can barely tell it's there and it has saved my paint from rock chips and bugs. It even saved the paint when a car in front of me ran over a large piece of tire tread that kicked up and hit the front bumper. I washed the car and used some wax to remove the tire mark and you can't tell it was ever hit. Expel is well worth the money, looks great when installed properly and has saved my paint multiple times. When it needs to be replaced I'll do it again.
cbravoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:31 AM   #12
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Yes its worth it, the places they mentioned: forget the roof line that's just dumb, the 1/3 or hood would and does look stupid, and rock chips on my car happened past where it would have been, mirrors and door handles is good, its the bumper and gill area especially if you have no mud flaps that need it. The thing is they will most likely charge you the same even when not wanting some tings like the 1/3 hood..
I recommend asking tinting places, thee cost was significantly lower than dealers etc as they were just happy to have the work, and the 3 m looks good as new even after years you cannot tell its there unless you look for it close.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:09 AM   #13
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
I put it on my SS one week after I got it. It's on the front bumper, front lights and mirrors. The pieces end at all the seams, so you can't see it's there.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:12 PM   #14
Gumbys69

Drives: Yellow SS
One more vote for xpel, it's amazing stuff and worth the $$$
Gumbys69 is offline   Reply With Quote