Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 01-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
thahemp
Geek

Drives: 2012 Black LS3
2012 2SS/RS Buy

Hello everyone. I'm a potential soon-to-be Camaro owner looking for a little backup on my purchase.

I had the dealerhip ship in the car I wanted. It's an ashen gray metallic 2SS 6 speed manual. He's supposed to call me tomorrow and let me know if he can actually get the car. I test drove another 2SS manual while I was there. Immediately became a fan

The price I saw on the papers he printed off for the car he found showed $37,900. From what I've been able to tell, this seems like a decent price. What I want to know is: whether or not I could expect to get the car for less than that? I figure a little thread data will make me that much wiser going into this.

I'm trading in a 2007 Scion Tc with 39,000 miles on it. The car is in good condition.
thahemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
thahemp
Geek

Sorry.. The only options are the Hurst shifter and the RS package. I knew it felt like i forgot something.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
zogster

Drives: 2014 RRM ZL1 M6
Well, invoice on that car should be $36,454, MSRP of $38080. So it's not that good of a deal if you didn't get anything but RS and Hurst. I would think you could do quite a bit better than $37900, but I don't know what you signed when you ordered the car. They could sell it to you for invoice and still make money on the sale. I got mine for $500 under invoice.
zogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
they will probably nail you on your trade-in.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #5
Vaux96

Drives: 45th 2SS LS3, 05 Ram 1500 SLT
Not bad, that's doable but seems a tad high. Invoice on that should be about 37 I think, so I'd try to get them to knock off another $500 or so.

*edit Zogster is right, from memory I thought it was higher, but his $36454 number is right on.
Vaux96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
thahemp
Geek

You guys are fast.

I haven't signed anything yet. He just did a search and found one that matched what I wanted to dealer trade.

I hope I don't get stiffed on the trade in. I think it should bring around $10,000. We'll see... I'd hate to have to walk on this because of trade in value.

It's good to see some numbers zogster. I wasn't sure where to start my offer. I was hoping to pay right at actual invoice. I didn't know what that number was though. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #7
zogster

Do you know what the KBB value is on your trade in?

It sounds like you were prepared to paying about $37.9k on the car and expecting $10K on trade, so about a $28K difference?

If they lowball you on the trade (which is very possible), just basically dismiss their offer and start dealing with them based on the spread between the two.

Example if they want you to pay $37.9K and offer you $9K for the trade in, tell them you will pay a difference of $27000 between the two. This would be essentially netting $9500 on the trade in and getting the car at just slightly above invoice ($36500, or $46 above invoice).

Or, I guess thinking that over again, you could just not even give them a chance to offer you a trade in value and tell them what you will pay between the two. Figure out what your trade is worth on KBB and figure they won't give you quite that much.

Of course with the dealer trade they might be less willing to deal with you, but mine was dealer traded as well. It was right at the end of the month and they were trying to meet a quota though. Still, you have until Tuesday to close an end of the month deal. They ought to be willing to deal.

If not, how far away is the dealer with the car you want? Maybe you deal with them directly.

I have inquired about a couple of 2011 2SS/RS's that were marked way down just for the hell of it, and of course each of the dealers lowballed me on the trade. I'm not really too interested in trading unless it is an absolute smoking deal, so I didn't use my tactic I listed above, but I think in your case, on a car that is not already heavily discounted (one of the ones I inquired about at was marked down $6k) they shouldn't have to lowball your trade. That dealer quoted me $4-6k below "very good" KBB value on my car, so essentially they were planning to make their profit by lowballing me on the trade. In your case though, if you pay invoice or above, the dealer still makes a nice enough profit even if they don't make a killing re-selling your trade.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
thahemp
Geek

Thanks for the advice zogster... I really appreciate it.

The $10k is the "good" kbb value on my car with my miles. I like the tactic you suggest. It kinda takes the haggle out of the experience. They can figure out how to best manipulate the trade in and the sale price, as long as the difference is still $27k.

The car is 450 miles away, so hopefully they can get it here quick, and hopefully they will deal.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
blade_ss

Drives: '12 AGM 2SS/RS M6 & 05 Mazda3
I ordered my car from my local dealership. I got my 12 AGM 2SS/RS hurst shifter and sunroof for right around $37,000.

I was planning on trading in my 06 TC for the car but I knew I would not have gotten what I wanted for the car so I will be selling privately to get the most out of it.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
thahemp
Geek

I'll let you know what they offer me. I think I'm gonna go in there tomorrow and see what kind of a deal I can get. The other dealer finally called them back this evening.

I'd be ok with private selling my car. That's probably not a bad idea.

Good to know you ordered yours for that much too. That is becoming a more and more attractive option.

Last edited by thahemp; 01-30-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
thahemp
Geek

Ok.. done talking numbers with the dealer. I think it went well.

The $27000 trick worked awesome. It took some time, but in the end they agreed. The manager came out and tried to get me to budge too. He said he was hurting for sales, and today is the 31st. That helped I'm sure. I also told them if they don't get to my number I will sell my car privately since I'm in no hurry.

They originally offered $9200 for the trade in (KBB is ~$10,200). That was the first thing they bumped up to try and get me to move. It ended up at $9500.

So, total price ended up at $36,500 for a black on black 2SS/RS w/ sunroof, but no hurst shifter. I should be able to pick it up tomorrow.. starting to get a little excited.

Thanks for guiding me through this guys... you kick ass.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #12
zogster

Cool, nice job sticking to your guns. Glad to see that strategy worked out.

Oh, and congrats!

The shifter isn't a biggie, you can get the aftermarket Hurst one that has shorter throws or a Barton for $250 or less. (I saw Auto Agenda had a Hurst sale for $199.99 on here)
Old 01-31-2012, 08:04 PM   #13
thahemp
Geek

That's good to know. The one I test drove had it, and a taller one will probably feel weird now.

We ended up at $27300 and $9500, which almost threw me for a loop. The numbers went fuzzy for a second. The car we originally talked about wasn't available. The new one has the sunroof instead of the shifter, but I think they are about $300 apart on the options price sheet. I was frantically going through edmunds again while he was in there talking to his manager. I think I even came in a tiny bit under invoice.

Anyways... Good experience. That was Davis-Moore in Wichita, KS. They get a thumbs up from me. The accounting guy was super fast too, which was nice after sitting in there that long. I especially appreciated that.

Gotta stay calm till Thursday...

EDIT: oops... bad math above. Total cost was $36,800 not $36,500.. still under invoice @ $36,989
Old 01-31-2012, 08:12 PM   #14
thahemp
Geek

Someone ought to sticky that tactic too... written out a little more formally of course.

That makes it much simpler to ignore all of the other numbers involved when they just move them around on you and deduct a measly $100. Additionally, you're always focused on the amount you're actually going to end up financing. That is pretty comforting throughout the process.

Let them figure out how to split it between new car and trade in to make the most money. That's essentially their job anyways.