Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-31-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
DROPIMP

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
FLOWMASTER Getting louder??

Hi there, I just installed my american thunder 3 inch cat back on my 2010 L99 and it really sounds awesome!!
Question to people who already have it, does it become louder with time? (mine on my past car did).
I really love the sound but I feel like I would have liked a LITTLE louder...
For people wondering, it has no drone and the sound when AFM kicking in is not that horrible...of course, would be better without it...
If I want it a little louder (without header rasp...) could I put a high flow cat with stock headers?? or what would you suggest?

Thnx!
DROPIMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DROPIMP View Post
Hi there, I just installed my american thunder 3 inch cat back on my 2010 L99 and it really sounds awesome!!
Question to people who already have it, does it become louder with time? (mine on my past car did).
For people wondering, it has no drone and the sound when AFM kicking in is not that horrible...of course, would be better without it...
If I want it a little louder (without header rasp...) could I put a high flow cat with stock headers?? or what would you suggest?

Thnx!
I have the L99 also and went with the Pypes Pypebomb axle back setup and loved it, but after driving it around for a week decided it wasn't loud enough for my taste, so I ordered a Magnaflow truflow xpipe to replace the hugh premuffler we have on our cars and BINGO!!! Now it is perfect, and not obnoxious like some I have heard, really gets someones attention now. I was going to get the Flowmaster AMT but it sounded too quiet for me, but the sound was good. So what I am saying, maybe you want to do the same, the xpipe for some more sound, or the restrictive cats that also rob the sound, but that will mess up your warrenty as you changed the cats, unless you don't car about your warrenty, so I have read here..Good luck..
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
DROPIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
I have the L99 also and went with the Pypes Pypebomb axle back setup and loved it, but after driving it around for a week decided it wasn't loud enough for my taste, so I ordered a Magnaflow truflow xpipe to replace the hugh premuffler we have on our cars and BINGO!!! Now it is perfect, and not obnoxious like some I have heard, really gets someones attention now. I was going to get the Flowmaster AMT but it sounded too quiet for me, but the sound was good. So what I am saying, maybe you want to do the same, the xpipe for some more sound, or the restrictive cats that also rob the sound, but that will mess up your warrenty as you changed the cats, unless you don't car about your warrenty, so I have read here..Good luck..

Thanks man!
In fact, the flowmaster I installed has already a 3" X pipe, the only way would be headers or cats, I live in Mexico and here the drivetrain warranty doesn't exist, the only one we have is the 2 years one and mine ended last friday, so, I can put anything I want on!
I think Hi flo cats will be quieter than headers and less raspy, I think with headers I would lose some of the low tone throaty rumble...

Opinions??
Old 10-31-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Thanks man!
In fact, the flowmaster I installed has already a 3" X pipe, the only way would be headers or cats, I live in Mexico and here the drivetrain warranty doesn't exist, the only one we have is the 2 years one and mine ended last friday, so, I can put anything I want on!
I think Hi flo cats will be quieter than headers and less raspy, I think with headers I would lose some of the low tone throaty rumble...

Opinions??
Yea, I think with the longtubes it would be louder and raspier, it was on my stang and I had the flow 40's,, so the cats would be your next choice to free up some of the sound as I have read on here.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
DROPIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Yea, I think with the longtubes it would be louder and raspier, it was on my stang and I had the flow 40's,, so the cats would be your next choice to free up some of the sound as I have read on here.
Thnx man, I think ur right, the other and cheaper way would be cat delete, but I think it would be too loud for me, moreover, would need a tune...
Old 10-31-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Thnx man, I think ur right, the other and cheaper way would be cat delete, but I think it would be too loud for me, moreover, would need a tune...
Do you still have stock exhaust manifolds on? If so go with the highflow mid pipes w/highflow cats, I was told by one of the techs on here that would pick up some more sound for ya, I was going to do that, but it would mess up my power train warranty by changing the cats out, but if you have no warrenty, then you are good..
Old 10-31-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
DROPIMP

Yes I still have the stock manifolds...I think I'm gonna buy High flow cats...the only negative point is that they are really expensive...they cost the same than the Flowmaster catback!
Old 11-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Yes I still have the stock manifolds...I think I'm gonna buy High flow cats...the only negative point is that they are really expensive...they cost the same than the Flowmaster catback!
Check out marylandspeed.com, they have a set that is not too bad in price. I have gotten a few things from them and the price is great, can't be beat, I looked around already and the customer service is second to none, great folks..Good luck..
Old 11-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
flowmann

Drives: 1972 Camaro Z28
Quote:

Thnx!

DROPIMP – Thanks for choosing Flowmaster exhaust for your Camaro! Flowmaster chambered mufflers don’t have packing to blow out or deteriorate, which is what causes most other brands of mufflers to get louder with age. The reason a Flowmaster would get louder with age is if the ECM in the vehicle gradually changes the tune to compensate for increased exhaust flow.
flowmann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
american thunder, cat back, catback, flowmaster, high flow cats