Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 09-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #1
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
"fatcat"

my friend sat in one at the LRP Trans Am race the other day and the SRT guy said "The challenger would perform as well as the Z/28 if it had the multimatics." I'm surprised he didn't say the tires again.

Me thinks the z would whip that hog around most tracks...certainly the technical ones.

...now if a new hellcat "Cuda" comes along...well then that's another story...
Old 09-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
I have to guess that any track with turns would favor the Z/28. I love the excuses some folks throw out there on why their product can't keep up on a road course. IF Napoleon had a B-52 at Waterloo, then we'd all be speaking French...
Old 09-30-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
Need4speed_motorsports

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
The Z/28 is a beast on the tracks, I doubt the Hellcat can keep itself stable at the same speeds around the bends.
Need4speed_motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #4
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
A track with a straight away will be in the hellcats favor. Idk about the hellcat being able to do what the z/28 does in a corner but it's no slug either. Very different cars IMO.
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:15 PM   #5
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
It makes you kind of wonder if they are having some heat soak or other issue that scares the kitty cat. They sure touted the 1/4 mile performance but I haven't seen it involved in one test on a track.

Sent by a large Hammer.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:34 PM   #6
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
my friend sat in one at the LRP Trans Am race the other day and the SRT guy said "The challenger would perform as well as the Z/28 if it had the multimatics." I'm surprised he didn't say the tires again.

Me thinks the z would whip that hog around most tracks...certainly the technical ones.

...now if a new hellcat "Cuda" comes along...well then that's another story...
He said" perform as well"? Not a chance. As fast around a track? Maybe some tracks with very few corners. As stated, apples and oranges.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:39 AM   #7
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Another member on here posted in a different thread that they were at a event with SRT engineers and they knew right away they couldn't build a car like the Z/28 so they went the high power route. There was also a video of the hellcat chasing down a CTS v on a road course. I will try to find the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPony View Post
After spending the day with the engineers on this program it is very apparent they know the limitations of the platform they have. The Z/28 was mentioned, but only in the context of knowing they could not do that type of car. As a matter of fact, they said at a early planning meeting for the Hellcat, someone said to build the baddest track car possible, but it was quickly shot down.

and the video of the hellcat chasing down a CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
So it appears the Hellcat can take a few turns. Impressive! I'm just curious at the skill level of the CTS-V owner. Will definitely be interesting once Randy Pobst gets his hands on the Hellcat!

shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:57 AM   #8
backtotintops

do you really think the soccer mom in the jesus wagon had "slicks"?
Old 10-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #9
sho928

Drives: Porsche 928 S4, Mustang GT vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
It makes you kind of wonder if they are having some heat soak or other issue that scares the kitty cat. They sure touted the 1/4 mile performance but I haven't seen it involved in one test on a track.

Sent by a large Hammer.
In the Charger reveal, the claim made was for 20-minutes of hard running a road course without a power de-rating (heat soak).

That is impressive if true for a 4500-lb 707 HP package.

I guess the inter-cooling has plenty of capacity.
sho928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:49 AM   #10
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
do you really think the soccer mom in the jesus wagon had "slicks"?
I don't think so. I just put the video here because a majority of people here say the hellcat turns as good as a matchbox car. Just thought it was nice to finally see a hellcat going around corners and that can get hustled around a road course. Will it do it as easily as a ZL1 or Z/28 IMO hell no.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #11
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Wow, the Hellcat beast a CTS-V wagon. I want to see it against the CTS-V sedan or the coupe. More aggressive driver in the Hellcat it seems from the video. It also comes down to driver familiarity of the course. Not too bad but I have no recollection of Dodge doing extremely well on road courses. They do have a win this year in the Viper, can't remember which course. The Viper track version doesn't count since that is purpose built as is the Z/28.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:42 PM   #12
backtotintops

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
I have no recollection of Dodge doing extremely well on road courses.:
This might jog your memory as far as Dodge.

I disagree. SRT can and will build something track focused like the Z/28 and it will be formidable. The current hellcat cars are just for motor testing.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #13
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
Wow, the Hellcat beast a CTS-V wagon. I want to see it against the CTS-V sedan or the coupe. More aggressive driver in the Hellcat it seems from the video. It also comes down to driver familiarity of the course. Not too bad but I have no recollection of Dodge doing extremely well on road courses. They do have a win this year in the Viper, can't remember which course. The Viper track version doesn't count since that is purpose built as is the Z/28.
The CTS-V wagon is essentially the equal of the coupe and sedan. The Hellcat caught the CTS-V because the Hellcat's driver was way better.

I am amazed how deeply the Hellcat has gotten into the heads of a lot of people around here.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #14
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I mentioned in my above post the Viper doesn't count. I am referring to specifically Dodge Challengers and Chargers. I remember the first time I saw all of the Viper owners from the So Cal/No Cal Viper club at Laguna Seca in 1998, wow! I still have the photos from that weekend. This was before Oreca became dominant in ALMS.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote