Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #57
1leNPP

Drives: 1LE , 1SS , NPP
I put the ZL1 rear springs on my 1LE drop the back of the car 1/2 inch check the car before and after with a full tank of gas.
1leNPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #58
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
So I just returned from my parents place where I did the ZL1 springs install with my dad's help. My dad has a huge shop with air tools and all that so I just decided to go there instead of wrenching it in my garage. Really just need a 2nd person to help lift or hold things in place while you screw in a bolt and stuff like that....otherwise it was pretty simple stuff. All in all, I'd say it took us around 4 hours in total. But heck, if I had all the tools laid out first, now I think I could do it in 2 or 3 hours.

No pictures yet, but I'm pretty happy with the results. Going to get the bushings timed and an alignment this week. Then I'll probably get some pictures after that.

The drop isn't as much as the typical aftermarket drop. I'd say I lost 3/4" to 1"....which for me is perfect. I wanted a stance just like a ZL1, and now I have it with the ZL1 springs. I was worried about the ride quality, but after driving home all my worries are gone. It rides great. Very close to stock when your just cruising. The ONLY very minor difference I've noticed was on the highway I felt a tad bit more movement, but honestly that's only b/c I was paying attention to it. It soaks up the bumps just fine, and although I didn't push it in turns, the handling feels better. (It should lol) Maybe once I have the bushings timed and an alignment it will be even better as far as the stuff I felt on the highway.

I wish I had done this a long time ago.

Will get pictures as soon as I have some decent ones.
Glad you got them done I am over 10k on mine no issues
Old 06-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #59
X-Factor
Chick Racer

Drives: 2017 50th 2SS
Awesome! Thanks for the info and posting about this. I was looking into BMR springs, but this looks more economic for me. Is there a difference between 1LE springs vs ZL1 springs? Also, i was going to go with the 1LE sway bars.... I have a 2LT/RS. Thanks!

Sent from my Phablet using Tapatalk!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #60
1leNPP

Drives: 1LE , 1SS , NPP
The 1LE rear spring should be the same as a SS rear spring ( but the back of the 1LE seem to sit higher in the air than a stock SS) . The 1LE rear spring is a linear rate spring and the ZL1 is a progressive rate spring. On my car the ZL1 rear spring drop the back of the car a 1/2 inch.
1leNPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #61
X-Factor
Chick Racer

Drives: 2017 50th 2SS
Awesome! Thanks so much for the info!

Sent from my Phablet using Tapatalk!
Old 07-02-2013, 12:07 AM   #62
69supersport396
Rick

Drives: 2012 IBM RS 'Vert
I've read elsewhere on this site the V6 struts/shocks have more travel and the V8 springs will come "unseated" if the car is raised on a lift or it the strut/shock is fully extended. Doesn't sound like you have this problem. I have a set of SS springs that I haven't installed yet.

I can do the changeover myself, but I don't want to deal with any issues after it is completed.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #63
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69supersport396 View Post
I've read elsewhere on this site the V6 struts/shocks have more travel and the V8 springs will come "unseated" if the car is raised on a lift or it the strut/shock is fully extended. Doesn't sound like you have this problem. I have a set of SS springs that I haven't installed yet.

I can do the changeover myself, but I don't want to deal with any issues after it is completed.
I have over 10k on my ZL1 springs and they have been installed on the car for 10 months so far no issues. I have had the car on the lift several times, up in the air changing rims and cleaning no issues to date.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #64
harrycamaro

Drives: 2010 camaro lt w/ chrome 20's
Just a heads up on the ss springs supersport, I have them on my car and got some lift in the front and so has another member here. It may be different since you have a convertible. The rear does sit at a nice height now though.
harrycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote