Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-20-2017, 11:50 AM   #1
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
Where to add ground on engine. Hard / won't start when hot

I read many threads and many say to check your grounds. Well i can't seem to find them easily so i figured why not add one. But the block is aluminum. So where can i put the ground wire?
Turbonetics running 8lbs boost at 700rwhp tuned by Hi Rev, installed by K&M w/cat-muffler delete, ACS splitter, Fesler GFX, MPD1 spoiler, Custom painted Rally stripes, Cordon CR1 wheels 275/315s, Hotchkiss comp sways and end links, Barton shifter
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:53 PM   #2
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
I read many threads and many say to check your grounds. Well i can't seem to find them easily so i figured why not add one. But the block is aluminum. So where can i put the ground wire?
Anywhere that connects to the bare metal of the engine and bare metal of the chassis/body. There are two (one on the passenger side head and one on the drivers side) that you can check and clean up. Passenger side wire is much larger than drivers side, so it will be easy to spot. Also check the power wire connection at the starter for corrosion, mine was nasty.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:03 PM   #3
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Aluminum is way more conductive than cast iron, so what's the concern?

But why do you want to add a ground? Beware shade tree electronic mods.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:28 PM   #4
caper

Well i had already added one and it didn't resolve the issue did i thought maybe it needs to be some place particular on the block. Adding it because some camaros have slow crank/ no crank when hot. Throws codes, loses crank position etc. I've replaced starter and had the other grounds checked. Replaced crank position sensor and battery 2x. I'm going to do the cable around the positive post mod tonight i guess. Frustrating!
Turbonetics running 8lbs boost at 700rwhp tuned by Hi Rev, installed by K&M w/cat-muffler delete, ACS splitter, Fesler GFX, MPD1 spoiler, Custom painted Rally stripes, Cordon CR1 wheels 275/315s, Hotchkiss comp sways and end links, Barton shifter
Old 10-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #5
caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Anywhere that connects to the bare metal of the engine and bare metal of the chassis/body. There are two (one on the passenger side head and one on the drivers side) that you can check and clean up. Passenger side wire is much larger than drivers side, so it will be easy to spot. Also check the power wire connection at the starter for corrosion, mine was nasty.
I've read its easy to see. But i swear i can't see the big one you're referring to. Perhaps it's blocked by my turbo tube...i searched for pics and got nothing.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #6
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
See posts#34 & 49 in this thread. Guys had same problem as you and fixed it by adding a jumper ground http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=399658&page=4
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:37 PM   #7
OnkelMatze

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 AirForce
this helped to my starting problems:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504199
OnkelMatze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:31 AM   #8
caper

just wanted to follow up on this. this wire bridge around the positive post WORKED!! IMO, theres no way we should have to be doing something like this on our cars, but whatever...problem is solved after many MANY attempts and much frustration!! worst was when I accidentally stalled the car in bumper to bumper traffic in the third lane last week, wouldn't restart (eventually it did).
Old 10-24-2017, 08:37 AM   #9
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
just wanted to follow up on this. this wire bridge around the positive post WORKED!! IMO, theres no way we should have to be doing something like this on our cars, but whatever...problem is solved after many MANY attempts and much frustration!! worst was when I accidentally stalled the car in bumper to bumper traffic in the third lane last week, wouldn't restart (eventually it did).
Thanks for the followup. Good to hear. What size and length wire did you use and what did you use to secure the splice at each end? How about some pics. Thanks
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:24 AM   #10
destroyerg

Drives: Chevrolet ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Thanks for the followup. Good to hear. What size and length wire did you use and what did you use to secure the splice at each end? How about some pics. Thanks
Sorry for the bump, but did you finally do it? Which cables did you use?
destroyerg is offline   Reply With Quote